PDA

View Full Version : Brake Help!

Lankstarr
25-04-2007, 05:02 PM
AS much as I would love to upgrade my brakes I think the standard ones should be fine for my driving style if only they worked properly!

Since getting the car I have had vibration when braking from high speeds when the brakes had warmed up.

I got Honda to skim the discs as they were quite new when I got them and problem sorted ... happy days.

But now it's coming back :mad: Honda have offered to skim them again but don't think that they should need it as once they've been done once they should be alligned on the car. Plus I don't just want to keep skimming away my discs!

With a mini track run on Friday and Jamesfest coming up TBH I'm shi77ing myself about my brakes. I'm not sure that the juddering is hampering my braking at all but it sure doesn't feel good and i think I will be doing harm somewhere if I don't get it sorted.

Can someone please help! Recommend something to try or maybe it is just worth putting a new set up on. All the juddering is coming from the front.

Thanks for your help

Luke

TheQuietOne
25-04-2007, 05:10 PM
With a mini track run on Friday

Thanks for the invite - make sure you put that yellow thing to shame though if it is where I think it is!

reg
25-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Luke,

I changed my discs at the weekend and would like to dispel the urban myth that NSX discs don't warp and its all due to pad material build up! Stock discs are fine for road use and if you read a few posts on prime some guys run the cheapeast discs they can get as they fugure they are going to ebd up in the skip within a few events anyway. I found my nsf front badly running out with all the others ok. The rears had surface cracks all over them and the vents were badly rusted which got my last car failed at MOT time. Either get some racing brake replacements or go the Black Diamond route. As for pads there are so many opinions and views on what is best. Stock pads are not bad at all so unless you are having fading issues or want more bite I would stick with them?

I would say that your discs are a bit soft for some reason or maybe you have a caliper that is a bit sticky that is causing them to overheat? If you dont hammer them there is no other reason they would warp IMO. How much is a skim, are the discs low enough mileage to warrant it?

If you need any help with them let me know. As for the track outing if they are juddering then its not going to get better and if they end up like my set then you'll get to the point where the fuel flap is being shaken open ;)

Lankstarr
26-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Matt - it is where you think but no yellow thing - I think I might be up against an 0555 RS4 instead... DOH!

REg - thanks for the advice - I'll definitely have to hook up with you and chat brakes... maybe I could get away with just sorting the front out for the time being.

The disc skim was £98 - std price for Honda for whatever car so a good deal considering what an ar5e they said the discs were to do. The will skim them again for me if I want... I think they have done about 10k so not many miles but then if there is a caliper problem then maybe they are a lot more worn than an ordinary 10k.

Should be coming up your way soon so I'll make sure I let you know in time so we can hook up :cool:

cheers

Luke

NSXGB
26-04-2007, 12:03 PM
The disc skim was £98 - std price for Honda

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/images/smilies/yikes.gif £98!!

Get your Thompson Local out and look up a local engineering shop to skim them for you. The Honda dealership would only be passing them on and adding a large slice of comission on for themselves.

I think they are telling porkies regarding them being difficult to do also. No more complicated than any other disc.

Last time I got some done I bunged the chap £20 for his troubles (was a couple of years ago).

Depending on how much was taken off on the last skim, it may not be viable to skim them, check out what the minimum thickness should be (28mm?).

You can buy a pair of aftermarket Bradi discs or similar for not much more then what you paid for them to be skimmed....

Lankstarr
26-04-2007, 12:07 PM
ha ha I thought that £98 was good!!!

I think there should be an extra subsection just for brakes - the amount of threads about them recently is daunting... guess I start to trawl through and find a cost sensible replacement - I don't really have a grand to chuck at new brakes but I thought that was what was needed until reading about these £100 discs.

Mind you if I have a sticky caliper or summing then I'll just badger any new discs I put on there anyway.

I know a few of you with 3.2s have done the upgrades recently Simon, Paul and Reg.. buit as far as I know you all went for different set ups. What to do what to do??

reg
26-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I know a few of you with 3.2s have done the upgrades recently Simon, Paul and Reg.. buit as far as I know you all went for different set ups. What to do what to do??

First off clean the calipers properly. When you are happy that there are no leaks and the pins and pistons are free start looking at the discs.

I would go for Racing brake either direct through themselves or SOS along with HPS pads and stainless lines. This will give you improved performance over stock and still be sensible money. BTW I have standard discs with HP+ and stainless lines which is much closer to your setup than what Paul and Simon are running.

NSXGB
26-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Get on the RB...as the exchange rate is so good it would be rude not to.

I bought the '97+ upgrade kit which included the very expensive brackets to space the calipers out for the bigger discs.
You would not need the brackets having a '99, so you should get sorted all round for £500 ish, maybe less.

Very happy with mine. I just went for OEM pads for the moment.

Kevin
26-04-2007, 01:09 PM
I can confirm that NSX discs do warp. I warped mine, not just across the braking area, but the hub face too. That's caused the wheel not to sit flat on the hub. Even though the discs were skimmed, the wheel not sitting true still causes vibration. With a straight edge across the disc there was over a mm in difference.

Some Honda dealers can skim themselves. Norton Way have an on-car skimming machine.

TQO,do you have all the cooling mods done? That has to be the first step in making brakes more track friendly.

If anyone is going to SoS for brakes, I might be getting an accusump from them soon, if you want to share some shipping.

Lankstarr
26-04-2007, 01:20 PM
yeah the discs were skimmed on the car at my local honda steeler.

My only worry with going for a new set of brakes is if there is something wrong with my calipers - being sticky or something, surely then it would just knacker anythiong else I put on there? Or does said kit you're talking about come with new calipers as well? (or am I just being silly!)

I will get my hands dirty and give everything in there a really good clean first. I don't think that this will help with the juddering problem as any damage may already be done, but maybe it will prevent further deterioration.

thanks

Luke

NSXGB
26-04-2007, 01:38 PM
You'll have to inspect the calipers and seals as Reg says above when you are fitting the new discs. All should become clear.

Kevin
26-04-2007, 02:22 PM
I've taken a sander with some fine paper fitted, and sanded down the surfaces when fitting pads. It gets the discs nice and clean, and removes any old pad material.

reg
26-04-2007, 02:42 PM
My only worry with going for a new set of brakes is if there is something wrong with my calipers - being sticky or something, surely then it would just knacker anythiong else I put on there? Or does said kit you're talking about come with new calipers as well? (or am I just being silly!)

When you have the caliper off pump them out a little then clean the sides of the piston before pressing them back in so that any corrosion doesn't tear the seal. Once the wheel is in the air spin it and see what it feels like, it should be pretty free. You can get caliper seal kits but I wouldn't worry to much right now, you would have noticed leaking fluid the last time they were skimmed.

Lankstarr
26-04-2007, 03:17 PM
actually had to stop and do some work for a minute then... scary stuff!!

thanks for all your help guys.

The RB kits vary loads between 1piece $440 for 4 and 2 piece $1000 for 4 ... is the extra piece worth the extra or would the 1 piece suffice for road use and be better than OEM.

Thanks

Luke

simonprelude
26-04-2007, 03:25 PM
The RB kits vary loads between 1piece $440 for 4 and 2 piece $1000 for 4 ... is the extra piece worth the extra or would the 1 piece suffice for road use and be better than OEM.

With the 2 piece you get 3 benefits.

Additional cooling
Lighter
Easier and cheaper replacement cost

Is the extra outlay worth it, only you can decide.

Shipping might be cheaper on the 2 piece also :)

Lankstarr
26-04-2007, 03:27 PM
easier and cheaper replacement cost??

NSXGB
26-04-2007, 03:52 PM
easier and cheaper replacement cost??

Cheaper because you should only have to replace the outer ring of the disc assembly when they wear out as it bolts onto the alloy hub.

I went for the 2 piece ones but it's probably not really required for a road car....looks good though. :cool:

NSXGB
26-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Shipping might be cheaper on the 2 piece also :smile:

For my application the discs are 800g lighter each, unsprung weight that is as well.

TheSebringOne
26-04-2007, 11:32 PM
I know this is a bit late, but vibration is normally a result of warped disc. Is it normal when you need to stamp on the brakes at over twice the max speed limit, that you get heavy vibrations because of the very high revolutions?! I'm not condoning these speeds, but someone I know did this, but once the brakes cool down and the speeds were back to normal, the vibration goes. Have other people felt this when ever they have done a very high speed run, say on a air field etc ? :rolleyes: