PDA

View Full Version : Dissaster!!!!

lotusolly
13-05-2007, 09:15 PM
On my way home tonight my engine note suddenly changed to a grinding noise! Put it straight into neutral, checked the gauges which all seemed to be ok and then pulled into the side of the road at which point the engine stalled. Checked over the engine and can see no evidence of any leaks and oil appears to be fine, havent checked water level yet as it is still hot. Tried to start it again briefly and found the engine to start but has a constant grinding squeal, runs rough and then stalls. Car will probably be on a recovery truck to a dealer first thing in the morning but can anybody offer any possible cause and wether I am looking at another mortgage and more majorly my chances of making Jamesfest!!

Olly

Kevin
13-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Air conditioning pump seizure?

Same sort of symptoms when mine did it. Turn off aircon and try.

Make sure aircon stays off by unplugging the pressure switch under the bonnet. Its on the pipe up near the driver side windscreen, near the cruise control box.

lotusolly
13-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks kevin, will take a look

Olly

reg
13-05-2007, 09:31 PM
If the engine is running and shows oil pressure then it is looking like a bearing somewhere. Water pump, ac pump?

Fingers crossed that it is not too serious mate.

lotusolly
13-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Tried turning off air con but doesnt make any difference. Checking as much as i can on my own it does sound like something seized on the alternator belt and possibly the belt squealing as it cant turn. will try and get a closer look tomorrow
Thanks for help, If its not likely to be internal then may try and get someone local to look, should be a bit quicker than trying to get to a dealer and cheaper!

Olly

reg
13-05-2007, 09:57 PM
You said it ran rough then stalled?

I would go for the water pump, but I am guessing that the only way to check it is remove the belts. Check for any visual damage on the belts. Do you have a manual?

lotusolly
13-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Yes it is a manual, when you try and start it has definetly got somethig holding the engine back from turning freely so it would indicate that something on the belt has seized, just got to find out what.
Thanks for assistance

Olly

ctrlaltdelboy
13-05-2007, 10:40 PM
I had something very similar to what you describe - it was the a/c pump which had seized. it runs on it's own belt which I just cut off and problem solved (apart from having no a/c that is)

hope it's something simple and inexpensive mate

Kevin
14-05-2007, 07:50 AM
The water pump runs off the cam belt. There's no quick removing that to check. I can't remember without looking at the manual, whether it runs on the toothed side of the cambelt or the other side. If it does use the toothed side, I doubt the pump is the problem, as I would of thought any problems would be bad, really bad.

Papalazarou
14-05-2007, 09:18 AM
That's really bad luck Olly,

I hope you get it sorted soon.

Still hope to see you Saturday.

All the best,

James.

lotusolly
14-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Managed to get finished early today so NSX has been up on stands for investigation. Removed a/c belt and car runs fine so should still see you all on saturday, although feel like i've aged over the last 24 hours!!
Thanks again for the advice given

Olly

Steveycaz
14-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Removed a/c belt and car runs fine
So, unlike the rest of us, I guess you'll be hoping for cool weather at the weekend! :)

lotusolly
14-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Might be the only one in shorts! lol. Although think thats not allowed for the track so I will be the one on track with the window open!!!

Papalazarou
14-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Great news Olly.

Cheers,

James.

reg
14-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Managed to get finished early today so NSX has been up on stands for investigation. Removed a/c belt and car runs fine so should still see you all on saturday, although feel like i've aged over the last 24 hours!!
Thanks again for the advice given

Olly

Great news mate.

There was that car broken recently, maybe they have one?

Kevin
14-05-2007, 05:17 PM
If you want one in a hurry I have a remanufactured one. They are the same as other Honda pumps. There is a block on the top which the pipes fit into. It is this block that differentiates the NSX pump from the others. In fact my re-manu'd pump has a different block on it, and the company just sent me back my old block with the pump.

It only takes a few days to get a re-manu'd one though.

As someone else said you need to replace the dryer. This isn't expensive, and in fact is the same unit used in other cars. I think something as cheap as a FIAT Panda uses the same one?

However, the expansion valve on the evaporator also needs to be replaced. This is mounted in the dash, and the dash has to come out for it to be replaced.

Plus, the valves will need changing, as the gas that goes back into the car will be R134 (or whatever the new gas is). Unless your car already has the new gas.

This is why I have removed all my aircon rather than refit the pump. I'll have to remove pretty much everything anyway. So for the time being for the track I'll prefer the lightweightness. If I really want the aircon, it will go back in later.

sportyking
16-05-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm no longer 100% on the exact layout of the NSX aircon system but it looks like you have two separate faults. 1) the pump is toast 2) The pump is not disengaging when aircon switched off. When my aircon went south last year (just as Ian was about to buy the car) I only noticed it was not working but it was diagnosed as the pump not disengaging and (I think) it effectively wore out R134a level was still ok. I do remember more than one part was changed (solenoid/dog clutch??) but it was done after Ian took ownership (Warranty). I'm just saying make sure everything else is working as it should before contemplating putting on a new pump as it could happen again.
The belt and pulley always turn with the engine running but the pump, engages/disengages when required. Hence the two problems if switching off aircon did not stop the grinding noise.
It may well be that a remanufactured unit comes as the entire assembly but Weybridge Honda quoted is as different parts
Another thing is early NSX systems may not have used R134a?? and as such seals may not be compatible with later systems and vice versa. I don't know for sure but another thing worth checking out before buying anything.

Kevin
16-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes, my pump had seized, but the clutch was still working. Hence my diagnostic suggestion of turning off the aircon.

My rebuilt pump, includeded a new pulley and clutch.

Norton Way Honda were happy enough to remove the pump, send it off for rebuild, and refit. Except it didn't get refitted as I had to take the car away to go to Le Mans.

http://www.compressortech.co.uk/

Quoted me £250 to rebuild the pump.

kowalski
16-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Glad it wasnt anything too serious. My AC Compressor went a few years back, i bought one off ebay for just over a hundred pounds including the clutch, had it fitted at Honda but cant remember the cost, but remember that the conversion and re-gas cost 80 pounds. Didnt have to change any other parts except for the belt as the US clutch pully is a bigger diameter.

Have taken the Compressor out since then when i changed the headers and it wasnt a big job.

See you Saturday.. or maybe Friday!

leigh

lotusolly
16-05-2007, 09:54 PM
The a/c system is already running on R134 so that should make things a bit easier. Will probably just leave it alone for the moment as in the process of moving house and don't really have the time and spare cash at the min. Will keep everybodys tips in mind
Thanks
Olly

mutley
17-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Glad it was nothing too serious, I mean who needs aircon anyway???

(Just jealous because I've never had aircon in mine!!!)

Jim

TheSebringOne
17-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Windows & coconut! ;)