PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

DAVEMAT
22-05-2007, 12:48 AM
After quite a bit of spirited driving after Japfest, I got caught short of fuel on the way home, and the only fuel available where I stopped was 95, ( I always use 97 ) so with a good few miles to go, I filled up.
The antics continued with no problem, but today while doing the usual town driving the engine check light has illuminated, I know it's normally linked to emissions, could the change in fuel be something to do with this?
First thing in the morning I'll fill up again with 97, and see if it makes any difference, but she's running great at the mo, and obviously don't want to do any damage.
Ideas please!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Dave

kevinpsw
22-05-2007, 08:05 AM
O2 Sensor perhaps?

My ECL came on (along withe the TCS light) and the fault was diagnosed by Honda as a forward O2 sensor. I am still waiting for the part to arrive from the US as I was not prepared to pay Honda UK best part of £200 for something that costs $60. I hope to have it fitted by the garage up the road (Chiswick Honda wanted £200 to fit). The advice I've received is that with an O2 sensor socket and a bit of presoaking to loosen the old one, it does not need a rocket scientist to change a sensor. I'll post how it goes.

simonprelude
22-05-2007, 09:57 AM
What fuel was it ?? Main brand or some of the horrible muck you can get around here.

I regularly use 95Ron with no issues, put Super in there every now and again but no issues when I go back.

DAVEMAT
22-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Filled up with 97 again this mornin and no difference, so best be off to get it checked out.

britlude
22-05-2007, 04:47 PM
sounds like a case for shorting the blue connector, and counting the flashes....

Silver Surfer
22-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Absolutely!

Reset it with the clock fuse business and see if it comes on again before splashing out.:yes:

SS

DAVEMAT
22-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Cheers, can you expand on that, got all day Wed to check things out before it goes in.

Silver Surfer
22-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Check on NSXprime:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/trouble_codes.htm

The clock fuse is the 7.5A fuse I think it is on the passenger side under the front bonnet in the box of fuses. If you remove it for 15sec and reinsert it. it will reset all the error regarding ECL as well as losing your radio presets and the reseting the clock.

Have you got the NSX service manual?

SS

superdave
23-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi Dave,

Isn't there a diagnostic software you can plug into these cars? Iam a newbie so don't know?
I have an OBDII cable and software if this will work? They supposed to plug into any car from 96 onwards with this socket.

It's a shame you don't live in NW as i could have popped over and given you a hand.
I have an Esprit friend who live in Hull (Cottingham), he may have the same cable to lend you?
You can buy these from Gendan for about £70. I paid £95 for mine which is the next one up to read all cars after 03. This is handy for my other cars which are 05 & 06.

Silver Surfer
23-05-2007, 10:29 AM
A bent paperclip is all you will need. Plug one end each in to the two holes of the blue adaptor socket under the passenger foot well. The flashing code light will keep repeating on the dash. After, just pull the clock fuse and reset and then plug back the clock fuse and see if the lights come on again.

SS

TheSebringOne
23-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Dave (SuperDave) do you live near Manchester ? and do you own a X? :)

DAVEMAT
23-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Cheers for the offer superdave, I'm about 2 mins from Cottingham, but have got her booked in for tomorrow, if all else fails.
As for now I'm going to give SS's advice a try, and see what we come up with.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

superdave
23-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Dave (SuperDave) do you live near Manchester ? and do you own a X? :)

No, Iam looking. I have an Esprit V8 at the mo and a Saab Aero Convertible. Looking to sell the Esprit to get something £25-30K or sell both to up my budget to £35K. I have another daily driver the missus uses.

superdave
23-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Okay Dokey, I also have some other software but it's GM based I think for older cars. It's called freescan which I used on my older Esprits. When ever there was an engine check light, you could short the pins out exactly the same as the NSX using a paperclip.

Does anyone know what type of connector the car has to hook up to a diagnostic?

Cheers for the offer superdave, I'm about 2 mins from Cottingham, but have got her booked in for tomorrow, if all else fails.
As for now I'm going to give SS's advice a try, and see what we come up with.

Thanks for the help.

Dave