PDA

View Full Version : Ride Height

Clive
28-05-2007, 02:37 PM
My 1996 NSX Coupe sits 10mm higher at the nearside rear than all the other three corners. Can this be adjusted out? It handles fine but looks slightly odd from the rear.

forumadmin
28-05-2007, 03:24 PM
If you have standard suspension then no, the height can't be adjusted. The way to measure the ride height is from the lower suspension points. The height is higher at the back than the front, but should be the same left to right.

NSXGB
28-05-2007, 03:28 PM
My 1996 NSX Coupe sits 10mm higher at the nearside rear than all the other three corners. Can this be adjusted out? It handles fine but looks slightly odd from the rear.

Have you checked for a broken spring?

gumball
28-05-2007, 04:38 PM
more likely the grounds uneaven;)

Rob_Fenn
29-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Would be interested to see how you measured it...

I can only remember vaguely but when the car was set up Plans mention something about the bodyshell being different on either side or something like that. It is the same on all they have seen.

CrazyMixedUpKid
29-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Clive,

I had exactly the same thing - and obsessed about it for years! I even had new stock springs put in (Chiswick Hondas idea I might add) ... but to no avail. Just looked 'wrong' from the back!

I even contacted Honda UK - who very kindly contacted Japan - who basically came back and said 10mm difference was "within tolerances".

There are a few posts about this on Prime too.

So - bottom line - there is nothing you can do about it .... :-( ... except changing suspension - getting some coil overs and dialling the car level with you in it ... which is what I did ;-)

Sorry - not the answer you wanted - but there it is! You are/were not alone!

TheQuietOne
30-05-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm going to try really hard not to check mine when I go and get into it...I just know if it is something I haven't noticed I won't be able to let it go as I am pretty OCD when it comes to things being even etc....:eek:

Just out of interest isn't this the problem that Nigel had with his '04 white one...or was that more noticable?

charlie:one
30-05-2007, 05:24 PM
yes your right , nigel

markc
30-05-2007, 07:23 PM
A couple of tips and observations...

First, make sure you measure everything on a known flat surface ie a garage/workshop floor.
Second, don't measure from the wheelarches to floor. Wings and therefore wheelarches tend to vary particularly on handbuilt cars like the NSX. Measure from the sill jacking points to floor. In fact there may be specific datum points on the chassis, my old 993 had these for exactly this suspension setup reason.

Cheers

Mark

charlie:one
30-05-2007, 08:35 PM
sorry to say your wrong nigel

TheSebringOne
05-06-2007, 12:10 AM
I spoked to Nigel about what was the problem with his white 04, basically HUK compensated him with a new 55 last of the 12. He noticed the same thing about the height, not sure if its more than 10mm, maybe more, 30mm? but Honda took it back, rechecked everything, think changed all the suspension parts, but made no dfference. Eventually saying the car was'nt manufactured correctly in the first place, maybe the chassis was made wrong! Then again, if 10mm is within their tolerances, then surely Nigels car must have been alot worse? He also stated the handling was'nt right either :(

Silver Surfer
05-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Apart from Nigel, any first owner of the 'X' here? (Bought the 'X' from new!!)

SS

Clive
18-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Sorry it's taken me a while to respond. but thanx for all your tips. Looks like I'll live with it the difference in height. Incidentally, I measured it on a perfectly flat garage floor but from the floor to the top of the two rear wheel arches.