PDA

View Full Version : Halfords paint match

MattS
05-06-2007, 07:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of Halford's paint matching service? Apparently all I need to do is supply the paint code and they'll whip something up in the shop...

I've a couple of areas that need touching up in imola orange and was thinking about getting Halfords to do a colour match...Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks, Matt

mutley
05-06-2007, 07:38 PM
HI,

I have used Halfords to match paint for me, but that was for my BMW which is dark blue non metalic. I have to say that it was a perfect match, but I'm not sure if they will be any good at metalic colours.

I think it works out at roughly £8 per can, so I suppose you could get one made up and then spray something with it then see if it matches your car before getting more done.

Jim

forumadmin
05-06-2007, 09:54 PM
I've had some of their paint as well.

Though mine is black. What annoyed me was that they insisted on having the paint code. I didn't know it, so I said it's Honda Berlina Black.

Not good enough, no code no paint. So after a trip home, to get the code, return to the shop, and tell them N45 or whatever it is....Ah yes, Berlina Black, no problem sir.:angry:

Nevertheless, it was fine. The paint will be like new paint, the skill is trying to mix something to match old faded paint.

AR
05-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I had good luck on previous instances. In the last stance I did not mention NSX( Don't kn ow if you did Kevin ), I just said Honda Sebring Silver.

I think if one mentions NSX it could go both ways.

Cheers,

AR

Papalazarou
06-06-2007, 09:27 AM
It's a different world with red though. When I had the nose resprayed the honda paintshop had 20 different colour cards. All formula red cars seem to be a slightly different colour and then of course there's new formula red.

I bought an oem colour stick and the difference was shocking, ok a bit of an exaggeration, but certainly the wrong colour.

I think with red you're better off going to a good paint shop and getting the colour matched properly.

Cheers,

James.

Lankstarr
06-06-2007, 09:31 AM
I agree - perfect match when I used them.

Both times for different red cars without problems.

MattS
06-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone,

I'll see what they can do tomorrow...

It's quite tempting to strip back to the bare aluminium and leave it like that, perhaps with a coat or two of clear varnish! Weren't DeLoreans like this? (yes I know they went bust..and were Irish..).

TheQuietOne
06-06-2007, 08:37 PM
So you have an Imola then - how cool! What age is yours out of interest?

Martin
06-06-2007, 08:52 PM
..and were Irish..).

...and your point would be?

gsuds
06-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone,

I'll see what they can do tomorrow...

It's quite tempting to strip back to the bare aluminium and leave it like that, perhaps with a coat or two of clear varnish! Weren't DeLoreans like this? (yes I know they went bust..and were Irish..).

Pedantry is a terrible affliction....DeLoreans had a stainless steel "veneer" finish.

G

mutley
07-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Pedantry is a terrible affliction....DeLoreans had a stainless steel "veneer" finish.

G

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH saucer of milk for table 5 hehehehehe

Jim

Papalazarou
07-06-2007, 11:50 AM
So you have an Imola then - how cool! What age is yours out of interest?

Your name's not Vario is it?

(strike 2).

Cheers,

James.

simonprelude
07-06-2007, 12:44 PM
No, this is Vario, a Porsche insider trying to stir it up.

Your name's not Vario is it?

(strike 2).

Cheers,

James.

Lankstarr
07-06-2007, 12:48 PM
WAs yours the Imola auto at Japfest?

simonprelude
07-06-2007, 01:52 PM
I think MattS's car is the ex Autocar one from memory.

MattS
07-06-2007, 05:30 PM
That's right Simon. It was registered as R462 ULL and owned by Autocar and then Eric Verdon-Roe (Big Boss at haymarket who publish Autocar).

Interestingly Autocar timed this car as 4.8s 0-60 and 10.9s 0-100 back in 1998, once it had been worn in a bit!

I've had a few mods since including a Dali Rice Rocket Exhaust and the Cantrell Concepts intake and filter and I reckon it's quite a bit quicker now than when I first had it, particularly in 3rd gear...It sounds a lot better too!

TheQuietOne
07-06-2007, 07:56 PM
No, this is Vario, a Porsche insider trying to stir it up.

Seriously?!!?! If so he can't spell his name...:eek: