PDA

View Full Version : Expensive Sunday jount

indi pearl
11-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Took P1 out for a run yesterday,roof off and the chance for some "spirited" driving allong allmost deserted roads as everyone was at the beach.
TCS on so somewhat surprised to see light come on ,followed by engine (emission) light.Drove home somewhat sedatly and checked out likely cause to be the dreaded O2 sensor(s).Since it seems false economy to change only one I am waiting for the local dealer to phone back with the cost to replace both.Having looked at threads covering this issue it seems many of us are suffering failures at the moment and if I understand correctly our Colonial Cousins in the States get their failures replaced free of charge for up to 14 years!!From further checking it would seem we in "rip off Britain" do not share the same benefit.Have found my local motor factors can supply aftermarket replacements at £91.65 each.When mentioned to the main Honda dealer this produced an immiediate "They are nothing but trouble" response,presumably to get me "softened up" for his yet to be received price!! Having the thermostat changed at the same time since she is taking a good 10 miles to fully warm up.I wonder if this could have been a contributing factor in the sensor failure,having noticed another member with the same two failures?

Kevin
11-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I would make sure the CEL comes on a few times before changing anything.

Mine comes on if the car has been left for ages. After a reset and more driving it doesn't come on again.

It doesn't happen often, maybe three times in the 8 years I have had the car.

indi pearl
11-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Re set 3 times by removing clock fuse.Both lights came on again immiediatly on re starting and her tick over is lumpy.I have wondered if she was running rich for some time as I allways got black deposits on the tail pipes even after long runs.Have tracked down direct replacements from my local factors at half the price of Honda parts and they even come with the correct cable length!

kevinpsw
11-06-2007, 01:51 PM
You may have already seen my post of O2 sensor replacement. I baulked at Honda's pricing (£400) and saved £250+. Of course, I have no idea about whether my non-OEM O2 Sensor will prove to be trouble in the long term but it seemed worth the chance. Science of Speed do OEMs at a similar price but in pairs.