PDA

View Full Version : Header instalation

AR
14-06-2007, 05:18 PM
I will attempt to do this this winter. I am lucky enough to have a pit and industrial size air compressor with tools.

Any tips any one care to share will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

AR

Steveycaz
14-06-2007, 06:29 PM
I will attempt to do this this winter. I am lucky enough to have a pit and industrial size air compressor with tools.

Cheers,

AR
Sorry Ary, but the tips go at the other end! :D

Senninha
18-06-2007, 10:41 PM

Cheers,

AR
I cant offer any tips as I've not done this on the NSX,(have on lesser machines) other than to spray some penetrating oil (or WD40) a day or so before to help release the originals.

I've read that its not uncommon to damage the studs on removal, dont know how true this is, maybe Kevin or Darren can chip in?

Reference sharing the pit/tools ... if I decide to go with headers then I may well join you for the Winter project.

regards, Paul

Kevin
19-06-2007, 06:48 AM
It's not a hard job. Didn't need a pit or use of any air tools.

Clear the area properly. Remove the gear linkage cables off the box, and undo the support brackets for them. Remove the front cross beam. Remove the handbrake cable from the triangle bars and remove the bars.

No need for oil on the old manifold. Those nuts came off really easy.

I used new gaskets, as I didn't want a leak, and then have to do the job again. I also got new O2 sensors, to save any hassle trying to get the old ones out, plus they could probably do with a change.

I found the new sensors didn't want to screw into the new headers too easily. Some heat applied to the header, allowed it to screw, but it still seemed tight. Your header may be different.

Hardest part was removing the front cross beam. It's impossible to get the bolt out of the engine mount. Instead you end up taking the mount of the engine. For that you need ratcheting spanners (well they make it quicker). Once the beam is off you can then separate the mount, and reattach to the engine block.

If you have a leaking oil sump, now would be the time to fix that as well.

Did the whole thing in one day.

Do it now while its warm, not in the winter!

AR
19-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Cheers for the write up Kevin. Can I ask which brand of headers you used? Also where did you source your sensors from? Did you have to get any new hardware for the car?

Many thanks,

Ary

Kevin
19-06-2007, 10:37 AM
They are SoS own brand headers. I've had them lying around for a year.

In my last order with MJ I got the gaskets.

I got the O2 sensors from www.sparkplugs.com (http://www.sparkplugs.com). They are the OEM NTK ones.

I also got a set of ratchet spanners halfway through the job, as I was getting fed up of using a normal spanner. I also did the anti-roll bars at the same time, and ratchet spanners are great for getting those off too.

I have made small ali brackets to clip the longer wiring up, and make it look like it was always meant to be there. I will also be revisiting, to cut and splice the wires, so they are just the right length.

Senninha
19-06-2007, 11:04 AM
They are SoS own brand headers. I've had them lying around for a year.
These are the ones (albeit for the 3.2) that I'm looking at or the Cantrell option.

Any particular reason for choosing SoS?
Are you able to offer your view on cabin noise?
Have you retained the CATS?

Also, where's the photographic step by step guide? ;):D

regards, Paul

Kevin
19-06-2007, 08:09 PM
1. They were the only ones out at the time. The DC sports ones use a flexible pipe that has been known to crack. Also, these are equal length pipes, and are cheaper than Taitec ones.

2. I am using the OEM rear silencer at the moment, without the cats. It's no louder than before. There is a different noise, but not louder.

3. See above. Though when the JGTC exhaust goes back on, I will be fitting the cats in an effort to quieten it down. I'm also working on some inserts to make it quieter still for the track. I don't think its going to be a success though. It will take a lot to get from 114dB to 98!

Anybody want a really loud exhaust?:)

4. Couldn't be bothered.

These are the ones (albeit for the 3.2) that I'm looking at or the Cantrell option.

regards, Paul

AR
26-06-2007, 01:12 AM

regards, Paul

Paul let me know if you are going for any, as we might save on shipping. :)

Cheers,

AR

AR
26-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Anybody want a really loud exhaust?:)

Wished I known last week!