PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox fluid

stan321
27-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Gear changes on my P-reg NSX-T (102K miles) are getting a bit notchy, particularly from 3rd to 4th. Any thoughts out there as to whether new gearbox oil would help (never been changed as far as I know), and if so what type would be best. Servicing normally by Honda dealer in Ipswich.

Kevin
27-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Honda MTF. I think MTF has changed over the years the latest one being MTF III.

TheSebringOne
27-06-2007, 08:17 PM
According to the drivers/service manual (either manual or auto), the gearbox oil should be changed every 48,000miles or 48 months, which ever first, but also inspected 24,000 miles or 24 mths in bewteen those. If you have never had it changed, I would change it anyway to see if the gear changes improves as its twice overdue and with a higher mileage car, it may need changing more regulary to compensate for wear? The recommended oil is Hondas Manual Tranmission Fluid (MTF) or Hondas Automatic Transmission Fluid premium (ATF Premium).

TheSebringOne
27-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Sorry just realise you must have a manual as you said it gets notchy! :doh:

Silver Surfer
27-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Changing the gearbox oil definitely helps to eliminate the notchiness. I use to have problem getting into 1st and 2nd gear. I use to depress and release the clutch many times to try and get it in gear once standstill. Since changing to MTF gearbox oil from Oilman (Opieoil) the gear change is now as smmooth as soft poo and more like it is decribed in the NSX reviews.

SS

TheSebringOne
27-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Not sure about the comparison "as smmooth as soft poo!", but glad its smooth now! How about as smooth as silk or Slick 50!? ;)

Silver Surfer
27-06-2007, 10:06 PM
'Smooth as $**T' was what I had in mine initially but silk would do! :laugh:

SS

stan321
28-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all your inputs. One question - how do I know that my local Honda garage will use the right MTF stuff?

markc
28-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Official Honda UK dealers use "Honda MTF" (of the latest spec/variety) supplied from very large drums.
They will decant a litre or 2 (or more) for you, into a spare container and charge you by the litre, if you ask nicely.
Trident Honda in Weybridge did so for me, supplying 2 litres of the stuff in a clear container maked as "MTF" by handwritten marker pen.

Mark

TheSebringOne
28-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Mine? :eek:, then get plenty of air freshners or do you mean mind? This getting very sinister & smelly! ;)

stan321
29-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Changing the gearbox oil definitely helps to eliminate the notchiness. I use to have problem getting into 1st and 2nd gear. I use to depress and release the clutch many times to try and get it in gear once standstill. Since changing to MTF gearbox oil from Oilman (Opieoil) the gear change is now as smmooth as soft poo and more like it is decribed in the NSX reviews.

SS

Which particular MTF oil from Opieoil? I see they do two or three different makes.

Silver Surfer
29-06-2007, 11:54 PM
For the gearbox you will need an MTF, the Amsoil Synthetic MTF is ideal and you will need 2.7ltr.

SS