PDA

View Full Version : tcs and abs light really pi#sing me off

nsxselby
29-06-2007, 05:48 PM
My abs and tcs lights are really starting get the better of me,
some times my tcs light comes on but if i set off really quick some times it goes off, it comes on after i get to a fixed speed ie 10 mph my abs light comes on pretty much all the time but i have recently noticed that if the abs light is not on i some times hear a whining noise and it comes on sound like a slipping belt of some sort coming from the front!!! i thought of a speed sensor could of gone but now with the strange noise iam not sur, i have tried taking the fuses out and shorting the connector looking for the bleeps etc but to no avail any more ideas??

Mr_Spanners
29-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Do you have the error code??? (by shorting out the service connector and counting the flashes on the 'Check Engine' light)

nsxselby
29-06-2007, 07:51 PM
i have tried and i have a chart with the codes and problem but i must be doing something wrong when i short the connector i get no flashing light!!!:embarassed:

Mr_Spanners
29-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Are you sure you've got the right connector and you've shorted it out properly (a paper clip snapped in half works a treat!). If your ABS and TCS lights are coming on then there must be a code stored!

CLICK HERE for detailed instructions (http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/trouble_codes.htm)

Hope this helps!?

~Phil.

Minch
29-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Uh oh . . . looks like its got you too. I bet you its your ABS modulator on the blink. Get it in to Honda ASAP. If you're lucky they will sort it. Otherwise you could end up with the option of purchasing a £2k replacement!

cas
29-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Check your rear tyres if they are badly worn it will trip the TCS

nsxselby
30-06-2007, 06:19 AM
my rear set of rubber is new so i know its not that would the modulator make my tcs light come on, i am going to try the shorting thing again today

cas
30-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Check to see if you have a dim brake light - this will do it as well. If this is not the problem get Honda to down load any diagnostic codes. Remember the car cost 70K 10 years ago so its very complicated underneath the surface even by todays standards.

simonprelude
24-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Did you have any luck on this at all ??

forumadmin
25-07-2007, 06:49 AM
The answer is not to the replace the modulator anymore. Well not with the old one at least. It's now possible to replace the old ABS unit with the new lighter/simpler/smaller/faster one from the 2000 model year. This unit can be bought from the States for about £800. The pipes need changing also, and a wiring loom to connect to the car. The old ABS computer is also removed, as the new ABS unit contains the computer.

Probably going to be an upgrade for the track people.

Minch
25-07-2007, 07:18 AM
You are having a laugh aren't you . . . . I've just bought the second hand one from Amo!

Silver Surfer
25-07-2007, 09:25 AM
How much??;) :D;)

SS

sunday driver
31-07-2007, 11:14 AM
My first entry into the world of NSX! My 96 Targa Manual has had the identical problem with ABS and TCS lights coming on.The cure? Relatively simple-in my case it was the front left ABS wheel sensor changed by my local garage for under £300.It showed up straight away when he connected up the diagnostic equipment.It probably helps in that the Garage owner also has a 96 Targa!

simonprelude
31-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Well my front right is my problem, hopefully it will be fixed at the weekend.
Honda computer didn't show a fault but the paper clip trick did.

My first entry into the world of NSX! My 96 Targa Manual has had the identical problem with ABS and TCS lights coming on.The cure? Relatively simple-in my case it was the front left ABS wheel sensor changed by my local garage for under £300.It showed up straight away when he connected up the diagnostic equipment.It probably helps in that the Garage owner also has a 96 Targa!

Minch
31-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Mine was definitely the modulator failure and costs £2k in parts alone from HUK. £300 for a second hand unit seemed a risk worth taking. Just need time and money to get it fitted!

Silver Surfer
31-07-2007, 10:30 PM
By the way....Welcome to the forum Sundaydriver!

SS :)

simonprelude
01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Welcome indeed.

More details and pictures maybe ??

By the way....Welcome to the forum Sundaydriver!

TheSebringOne
01-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Welcome too! Where do you venture from do you mind me asking? :)

sunday driver
04-08-2007, 02:50 PM
From the sun-kissed Tropic of Aberdeen !!!!

TheSebringOne
04-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Great another X owner North of the border! You don't own a Sebring Silver colour? like Mutley,Gsuds & me but i'm in the NW, but from Glasgow! It seems we like our Silver in Scotland. :)