PDA

View Full Version : Red NA2 pop up Coupes

TheSebringOne
21-07-2007, 03:05 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/nsx-takeover-at-castle-combe/257353/full/

Just had another (proud) close up look at the pics of us at JapaneseFest at Castle Coobe and noticed for the very first time that all Red NA2 coupes have black roofs (not targas)!! Well you learn something new everyday! Having road tested a R reg late 3.0 over 3 yrs ago and having seen no red ones in the N.W, the roof looks glass like? Surely its Alu? Anyone care to post a close up pics for me? Please no stampede as I know theres loads of you dotted around ! :D

DamianW
21-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Erm, my pop-up lighted coupe has a red roof. It was an option I believe on post 97 models.

TheQuietOne
22-07-2007, 04:24 PM
I think it was actually an option from '93, but not taken up by UK dealers until probably post '97 with the 3.2's arrival.

Just a further bit of info you James, the cars with black roofs actually have body coloured paint underneath them! Well all the red ones I have seen do going back to the '91 cars...

kowalski
22-07-2007, 06:04 PM
You could actually get a body coloured roof from 91 as well! Mine and Kevins have it!:rolleyes:

leigh

TheQuietOne
22-07-2007, 06:15 PM
You could actually get a body coloured roof from 91 as well! Mine and Kevins have it!:rolleyes:

leigh

Tit.........

TheSebringOne
22-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Why would they paint black over the original car colour that matched the rest of the car?! Strange! :dunno: Personally I would prefer the roof to match the rest of the car.

Silver Surfer
22-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Black roof definitely looks better for the pop-ups. Makes the car a lot sleeker!! IMO

SS :D

Minch
22-07-2007, 10:45 PM
I agree I think it makes the car look that much lower as the black hides the true profile of the car.

mutley
22-07-2007, 11:11 PM
here here, I prefer the black roof look too.

Jim

Lankstarr
23-07-2007, 05:44 AM
The new M3 tested in autocar is red with a black roof (cf?), finally other car manufacturers are acquiring a little taste.

AR
23-07-2007, 06:55 AM
The Gallardo also came that way recently.

TheQuietOne
23-07-2007, 07:12 AM
And also that final special edition of the old shape TT - the black roof makes the car look far better IMHO. Having said that I do think the metallic colours in the 02+ of any substance look better with a b/c roof especially the LBB - it goes with the refresh.

James you might be fighting a loosing battle with us lot on this one! :D

gsuds
23-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Nah, have to side with James....

..well, I would as I've got body colour roof (93), think it looks better on silver. Might not be original as car has had couple of repaints though.

DamianW
23-07-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm with James. Body coloured roof makes the car look far better, but its all subjective.

Mind, a review of the 98 model in Car magazine said the body coloured roof transformed the car and made it look much better. So if a reviewer thinks that then it must be right :p

dan the man
23-07-2007, 09:35 AM
If only the black roofs on Xs were carbon... sigh

Minch
23-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Now that really would look the dogs danglies!

DamianW
23-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Tell you what would have looked great, a 40 foot wing and chrome spinners as standard... oh and a stereo that requires 10 car batteries to power.

/old man

NSXGB
23-07-2007, 10:31 AM
If only the black roofs on Xs were carbon... sigh

I can see it now, available from Procar Specials....just required to remortgage your house to secure...

TheSebringOne
23-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Ok,Ok, Ok, I can't be right all the time! Maybe I get a can of black piant or maybe a set of lowering springs or put on a few stones on!! ;):embarassed::P Whoops, having read some other replies, theres a few on my side! Its all subjective, but I have to say the only car colour that can carry it off with a black roof is RED. So we are all happy now! DTM, thought you were boogeying in the Balerics?

Senninha
23-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Honda have used the black bodywork trick to visually slim a car several times. Most noticeably, and from the same era, is the lower body moudings of the much loved CRX.

In recent years the black roof has been used by both BMW and Mercedes. The lower body black out was used to great effect (and in high quality CF) by Pagini on the early Zonda.

On the later 02 models, I like the b/c roof.

Now then, as I have a Targa, I wonder if I could get the top made in ....;)

regards, Paul

simonprelude
24-07-2007, 08:31 AM
It's all subjective really, I think my car looks better with the Black roof, but something like an LBB would look very wrong.

TheSebringOne
24-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Surely not CF Paul, is it getting a little heavy for you to lift!?

Si, Im not sure that Orange B/C goes with a black roof or other colours bar red, otherwise Honda would have done it or it would be an option? True its all in the eyes of the beholder & very subjective :dunno: Mind you I think a dark roof in CF would'nt look out of place on Pauls.

Silver Surfer
24-07-2007, 11:41 PM
I reckon orange /black would definitely go!

SS

simonprelude
25-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Hmm, Honda did do it ;)

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/images/roadtests/PerformanceCar_Aug97/PerformanceCar_Aug97_05.jpg

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/images/roadtests/PerformanceCar_Aug97/PerformanceCar_Aug97_08.jpg

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/ERoadtests/PerformanceCar_Aug97.html

Surely not CF Paul, is it getting a little heavy for you to lift!?

Si, Im not sure that Orange B/C goes with a black roof or other colours bar red, otherwise Honda would have done it or it would be an option? True its all in the eyes of the beholder & very subjective :dunno: Mind you I think a dark roof in CF would'nt look out of place on Pauls.

Mr_Spanners
25-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Out of interest, has anyone with a targa had the roof painted black (as opposed to being body coloured)

Silver Surfer
25-07-2007, 09:24 AM
So Simon, when was roof painted orange then?

SS

simonprelude
25-07-2007, 09:44 AM
On P27 ??

It never has been.

So Simon, when was roof painted orange then?

SS

simonprelude
25-07-2007, 09:45 AM
I think there are some stateside, but not heard of one in the UK ??

You going for the classic look then Phil.

Out of interest, has anyone with a targa had the roof painted black (as opposed to being body coloured)

Mr_Spanners
25-07-2007, 11:16 AM
I really like the red\black combination but I'd like to see a targa with that colour combo done. I might consider it for mine but I am concerned it may affect the value or saleabilty? (I know I've only just got the car but I wouldn't want to do anything deemed to be a 'bad move' financially speaking)

Lankstarr
25-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Hmm, Honda did do it ;)

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/images/roadtests/PerformanceCar_Aug97/PerformanceCar_Aug97_05.jpg

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/images/roadtests/PerformanceCar_Aug97/PerformanceCar_Aug97_08.jpg

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/ERoadtests/PerformanceCar_Aug97.html

Mine was orange black originally and was a Honda UK car for just over a year.. maybe that's her in the pic!

just noticed P27 with a black roof ... but Simon your car has an orange roof??? Has P27 been on more than one orange NSX?

simonprelude
25-07-2007, 12:56 PM
No it's definately my car in the picture :)

Just been to check and mine still has a Black roof :) Stop trying to confuse me all of you.

Mine was orange black originally and was a Honda UK car for just over a year.. maybe that's her in the pic!

just noticed P27 with a black roof ... but Simon your car has an orange roof??? Has P27 been on more than one orange NSX?

simonprelude
25-07-2007, 12:57 PM
The magazine was from 1997, so unless your car is older than you say ;)

Silver Surfer
25-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Sorry Simon, for some reason your car gives the impression that it has a orange top. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

SS

TheSebringOne
25-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Blow me Si, I never knew that in addition to reds, they did black with Tangerine ones! :eek: Was the black roof an option available on all or a limited set of colours :dunno:

TheQuietOne
26-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Blow me Si, I never knew that in addition to reds, they did black with Tangerine ones! :eek: Was the black roof an option available on all or a limited set of colours :dunno:

The black roof was STANDARD unless specified otherwise on point of ordering by the dealer from the factory. That is except for the T's.

IOP looks better for the contrast of the roof in my opinion!

Lankstarr
26-07-2007, 12:03 PM
No it's definately my car in the picture :)

Just been to check and mine still has a Black roof :) Stop trying to confuse me all of you.

Sorry - your avatar makes your roof look black instead of orange:rolleyes: