PDA

View Full Version : Anything I've missed?

NSXGB
02-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Booking the motor in for it's cambelt service next week, I'm supplying all the parts and was just wondering whether I've missed anything?

I have:

Timing belt
Alternator belt
A/C belt
Plugs
Water pump
Air filter
Top end gasket set
Oil on it's way
Oil filter & washer
They are supplying coolant
£600

Only thing I have just thought of and not got is the fuel filter. I've never changed it in the last 4 years don't know when it was last changed. Does anyone know whether that should be part of the 6yr\60k service?

amo
02-08-2007, 08:46 PM
mate id change that fuel filter as well
wot about the gear oil change it as its in

thx amo

NSXGB
02-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Gear oil done less than 1 year ago.

TheQuietOne
04-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Me too where are you having yours done? Maybe we could haggle for a 'group' discount?! ;)

Steveycaz
10-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Simon, did you get your service done? How the the costs work out in the end. I am having a C Service and a Timing=belt change next month. My quote from chiswick is as follows:

C Service - £497
Belt change - £810 (6 hours labour plus £156 parts - timing and balance belts)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I want to get a replacement exhaust system as well - My wife is going to kill me!

Senninha
10-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Steve,

I would challenge the cambelt charges.

I had my belts done at Norton Way last year (sister company to Chiswick). They charged me £320 labour and £101.35 for the belt, both plus VAT.

HTH, Regards Paul

NSXGB
10-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Simon, did you get your service done? How the the costs work out in the end. I am having a C Service and a Timing=belt change next month. My quote from chiswick is as follows:

C Service - £497

:eek::eek::eek:

I want to get a replacement exhaust system as well - My wife is going to kill me!

Just waiting to pick it up....some old lady decided she would drive into my bumper in their car park apparently....car in the body shop. :thumbsdown:

So, they have quoted you £497 + £810? That's bundles more than it should be.
I was quoted £660 which included fitting new headers, Chiswick and Norton Way first quoted £740 and both later matched the quote from Yeomans of £660.
They insisted on charging me more when I produced a water pump for them to fit saying that was not quoted for. They have settled for half an hour extra labour for fitting the new pump, I'm going to contest that when I pick it up.

When they say they inspect the water pump on a cam belt service, surely they should remove it to inspect it, what can you see from the outside??

I told Toby the Tec that I wanted him to adjust the valves and fit the SOS cam plugs at the same time which I don't think is technically in the 60k service?....Maybe I won't contest the half hour labour for the WP...

NSXGB
10-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Steve,

I had my belts done at Norton Way last year (sister company to Chiswick). They charged me £320 labour and £101.35 for the belt, both plus VAT.

HTH, Regards Paul

£320 + VAT is damn good, that's only 4 hours labour....

Papalazarou
10-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Steve,

HTH, Regards Paul

That's spot on for the cambelt Paul. when I rang round for quotes last year they were all around the £414-420 mark. The extra labour for the water pump was 0.5-0.75 I think.

I guess it's heavily dependent on the hourly rate from the particular franchise. In Somerset we still pay in Donkey's and old money;-) (and kitten pelts, they're a favourite).

Cheers,

James.

Steveycaz
12-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I have phoned my local Honda dealer and will get a quote from NW to get a negotiating point.

Maybe I can afford the new zorst after all!:D

Cheers,

Steve.

NSXGB
15-08-2007, 03:25 PM

C Service - £497

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Picked the Car up from Yeomans yesterday. Total bill was £738.96.
This included TB change, all other belts changed.
Fitting new WP.
Fitting of aftermarket headers.
Valve adjustment & fitting SOS cam seals.
12 litres of coolant.
Oil pump gasket.

I was given the old WP back, I thought it was changed with the last belt but it's older than that. Still looks like new & absolutely no play in bearing. I would not have an issue changing the WP every other service...

Steveycaz
15-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks Simon. Is the bill for labour only? where are Yeomans?

NSXGB
15-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Mostly labour, plus antifreeze and a gasket I did not supply. They charged me £15.77+vat x 3 for the 4 litre drums of antifreeze and £6.45+vat for the oil pump gasket.

They made a bit of a song and dance because they said that they had under charged me so I'm not sure how valid that figure is. I think it was about right.

TheSebringOne
15-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Simon, you said you would not have an issue changing the WP every other service? How much mileage you average a year?

NSXGB
16-08-2007, 08:02 AM
I do about 4k per year but I have the service records for the car and cannot see when it was changed previously. It has definitely not been changed in the last 7 years.

Steveycaz
16-08-2007, 12:01 PM
I spoke to Chiswick again - apparently they quoted me £810 for the cambelt change and the service. The other figure was for the service on its own. That sounds more like it. Thanks for the help guys.

mutley
16-08-2007, 12:04 PM
I spoke to Chiswick again - apparently they quoted me £810 for the cambelt change and the service. The other figure was for the service on its own. That sounds more like it. Thanks for the help guys.

Steve you had me worried for a minute there, I thought it was going to end up about £1200 for the servive and cambelt change. From that £810 for belt AND service sounds a lot better...................still a lot of money though.

Jim