PDA

View Full Version : Speaker covers

mutley
06-08-2007, 07:54 PM
HI All, well here are 4 more pics of todays labours. This morning I took delivery of 2 x 4" wharfedale speakers. ( I bought 4" as a direct replacement for the standard 4" ones to make life easier with the install process). I had alreay removed the OEM ones so it was just a case of opening un the speaker boxes and swaping over the speakers and removing the amps.

Anyway while I had the door cards off, I re-done the speaker grilles with red acoustic cloth.

Jim

Mr_Spanners
06-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Jim, You do know the OEM speakers run at an impedance of 1 ohm don't you??? If the wharfdale replacements are 4ohm (normal car hifi) or 8ohm (home hifi) then they simply wont work... well, they will but they'll need driving by an amp the size of your boot!!!!

mutley
06-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Ah yes indeedy...I'm not that mental. I won't be running them of the OEM stereo stuff, that's all gone, I'm going for a complete ICE install from scratch, I just put the speakers in as I had them and was doing the grilles.

Cheers

Jim

Mr_Spanners
06-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Ah yes indeedy...I'm not that mental. I won't be running them of the OEM stereo stuff, that's all gone, I'm going for a complete ICE install from scratch, I just put the speakers in as I had them and was doing the grilles.

Cheers

Jim

Phew - glad to hear that... I guess I'm more used to the guys on Prime who make botched attempts at trying to improve the OEM hifi!!!

~Phil.

mutley
06-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi Phil,

I know what you mean, there was a topic a while back about using OEM stuff with aftermarket amps and all that. I did ponder trying something along those lines but it will be just as easy, if not easier, to start from scratch, saves buggering about with wiring looms, figuring what's what etc.

Jim

Mr_Spanners
06-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Funny you should mention the loom! I've just put together a custom harness that plugs into the existing loom so I can use the stock head unit with an aftermarket amp and speakers (Genesis Amp and Focal K2 speakers) whilst maintaining the sub and centre speaker (for what it's worth!). I've also added an extra circuit to allow a switch for the electric aerial. Must give big thanks to DeCosse (on Prime) for sending over the two connectors I needed though!!!

Good luck with the install Jim - look forward to seeing more pics!!!

~Phil.

mutley
06-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks Phil, but it'll be a while. I have to see if the head unit I want will fit into the Nav pod, then buy that, install etc. I just thought that if I done the speakers now while re-trimming the grilles then it will save me a bit of time later on. I'm not sure what to do about the centre speaker and sub, obviously I'll be replacing both, possibly a 8" of 10" sub in the foot well.....clueless about the centre one!! I might remove and then build in 2 rear speakers into the rear corners of the roof, not sure, but I'm sure I'll have a flash of insperation sometime.

Jim

PS I'm open to suggestions guys, if any one has any ideas.

TheSebringOne
06-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Very nice, I like the colour co-ordination bewteen door cards & speaker covers! Are you having a bit more red in the interior, maybe the seats as you've mentioned they may need some attention? :)

mutley
06-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Yep, I'm on the case, I'm going for the restoration of the damaged leather then re colour the seats red and black. that'll be a fun job!!

TheSebringOne
06-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Jim, how exactly are you going to re colour the seats? Sounds like a big job compared to what you've done already or is no job too big for you ;)

mutley
06-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Wel I like a challenge. I have seen some kits ( although I do not know how good/bad they are) that are designed to repair damaged leather, and another one that allows you to re colour the leather.

I don't think it will be that big a job, well the repair part might be, but I'll give it a go.

Jim

mutley
06-08-2007, 10:32 PM
This caught my eye.

http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Restoration.htm?gclid=CO_T9oD74Y0CFQi4EAod 4w1rdA

TheSebringOne
06-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Can't wait to see how you finish the seats off as my driver's side is started to scuff up! So could do with knowing how you get on pal. Are you keeping it black where most people's tend to wear?

mutley
06-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I'll keep the side bolsters black where the usual damage/wear ocurs and do the middle section in red.

But that wil probably be next year job whan I get back.

Jim

TheSebringOne
06-08-2007, 11:04 PM
If you do restore the bolsters, maybe some pics? As for the red leather in the middle, well at least your not quite Superman ! :D

mutley
06-08-2007, 11:08 PM
yeah I'll start a new thread as and when this happens.

Jim