PDA

View Full Version : NSX prices rising?

Adam Kindness
21-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I reg'd on here a while ago whilst looking into buying a UK NSX for under 20k.

I thought better of it. I'm now wanting one again :)

There seems to be less for sale (not sure if seasonal) and the ones that are for sale are more expensive than they were a few years ago!

Realistically what can be bought for 25k? Any chance in hell of a 98> 3.2?

simonprelude
21-08-2007, 02:28 PM
You might be lucky enough to find a 3.2 for £25k, there have been a couple sell for around that price.

A lot of the ones that never seemed to sell for one reason or another seem to have dissapeared from the market place, they may have sold or given up.
But most of them weren't selling for a good reason.

The 3.2 market always has and always will be a small one, there are around 50 UK 3.2 pre face lifts, then around the same amount with the fixed headlights.

Adam Kindness
21-08-2007, 02:49 PM
yup, noticed the 15k cars that were about for months on end.

AR
21-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Check PM :)

reg
21-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Realistically what can be bought for 25k? Any chance in hell of a 98> 3.2?

I paid 24K for a 99 last year and sold it for a little more a few months back. As for what is possible to buy IME for 25K you will get a 3.2 with higher mileage or a lower mileage 3.0. There isn't exactly a great choice out there now but you will see a few cars coming and going if you keep looking. Dont overlook the option of an early 3.0 in good condition, if you want more performance there are many options.

Auto's might be ok but they dont sell very well, the same goes for imports unless there is an 'R' on the end;)

HTH

Adam Kindness
21-08-2007, 03:30 PM
it would have to be a manual, and a coupe.

In real word performance is there any difference between the 3.0 and 3.2?

Do the early cars (3.0) really handle better?

NoelWatson
21-08-2007, 03:48 PM

In terms of performance I would say no seeing as a '95 3.0 did 160 at Bruntingthorpe and my 2004 could only manage 1 mph more (unless I was doing something wrong)

simonprelude
21-08-2007, 04:13 PM
To be honest having the 3.2 and 6 speed box is just a different car to drive rather than any performance difference. 6th gear is great on the motorway etc but not really a must.

If it were the choice between a low mileage 3.0 and a high mileage 3.2 then I would probably go for the 3.0.

Then again instead I went for a low mileage 3.2 :)

Last year on the same day (very hot) the same 95 managed 156mph and my 3.2 could go no better.

AR
21-08-2007, 04:18 PM

Having had a T reg 3.2 an NSX-R and now a 1993 3.0, the main difference was in the gearing. The UK cars have tall gears and you will always be in 2nd or 3rd around town. The main advange of the 3.2 is the box and the exhaust system. IMHO in th ereal world it all comes down to your pocket.

I prefer the early non PAS ( as the NSX-R ) to the later PAS cars, but that is just a matter of opinion.

UK, ( reduces the # of cars ) manual ( most are manuals ), coupe ( most 3.0 are coupes ) with low miles ( will be pricey )

So it all comes down to £££, time and luck.

Adam Kindness
21-08-2007, 04:54 PM
in all reality i think an early 3.0 coupe would do :)

Its not going to see many miles a year (2k or so) and will be getting bought purely as a weekend toy and very occaisional track use.

The short *** spec gearing does atract me though... but *** imports seem to be quite rare to find... Maybe i'm just not looking deep enough into the ad's

Adam Kindness
21-08-2007, 05:00 PM
there is a 94 JDM coupe manual on AT for 26k.... low miles if acurate, but still seems 'more' than they were fetching last year.

Prices def havent gone down by the looks of it.... which is a bonus for you guys i suppose :P

simonprelude
21-08-2007, 05:17 PM
There is a Red 1998 3.2 Manual for sale at the moment for more than I paid for my 1997 3.2 Manual over 2 years ago with similar miles.

Good cars will sell if priced right, as always it's a sellers market.

Papalazarou
21-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Just had a look on AT. There's actually quite a good selection at the moment. Quite a lot of red facelifts.

Cheers,

James.

TheQuietOne
21-08-2007, 06:05 PM
There is a Red 1998 3.2 Manual for sale at the moment for more than I paid for my 1997 3.2 Manual over 2 years ago with similar miles.

Good cars will sell if priced right, as always it's a sellers market.

I tell you what there are a lot of interesting cars on AT at the moment - red with red interior, now there's a sight!!

simonprelude
21-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Also Red with beige interior ??

http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=1514&page=4

I tell you what there are a lot of interesting cars on AT at the moment - red with red interior, now there's a sight!!

Martin
21-08-2007, 07:02 PM
The short *** spec gearing does atract me though... but *** imports seem to be quite rare to find... Maybe i'm just not looking deep enough into the ad's

Hello Adam

Its a little-known fact that 1996-reg UK cars have the faster accelerating Japanese gearing. Just opens your range of cars a bit.

The easiest way to tell is by maximum speed in second gear. With UK gearing, it is 90, and with Japanese gearing (which includes 1996-reg UK NSXs) it is 71.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Martin

NoelWatson
21-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Hello Adam

Its a little-known fact that 1996-reg UK cars have the faster accelerating Japanese gearing. Just opens your range of cars a bit.

The easiest way to tell is by maximum speed in second gear. With UK gearing, it is 90, and with Japanese gearing (which includes 1996-reg UK NSXs) it is 71.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Martin

Ratios here - not sure how accurate they are, but I can vouch for 160 in 5th for mine!

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/gearratios.htm

dan the man
21-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Mines a 97 Uk car so ill try and remember what 2nd is good for..

Im sure its about 70 sp sounds correct. 2ND 90?! that is high...

Kevin
21-08-2007, 09:25 PM
83 in second going by my dials.

That was until I got short Japanese gears, and an even shorter final drive.

mutley
21-08-2007, 11:35 PM
83 in second going by my dials......................

Same here, I read between 80 and 85 in second.

HTH
Jim

Adam Kindness
22-08-2007, 01:47 AM
90 in 2nd !!!!

So... a 96 UK will def have shorter gearing? It wasnt that that car was just altered at some point?

NoelWatson
22-08-2007, 04:51 AM
http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/multimedia/top_gear-nsx.asf

I seem to remember Tiff complaining about it in the original road test

AR
22-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Hello Adam

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Martin

Was James the same? Ivors had short gears?

Any other info on this?

Why?

Cheers,

AR

TheSebringOne
22-08-2007, 09:42 AM
I know the gear ratios were shortened with the 3.2 so quicker acceleration, but lower top speed in each gear? So I don't think 85 to 90 is achievable, maybe with 3.0 it would (apart from this 96?). Think its more like 70ish in a 3.2? Anyone 3.2ers agree with that? Also wander what, if any difference bewteen a 3.2 97+ and a 3.2 02+?

Martin
22-08-2007, 09:47 AM
James (96 UK NSX) was the same, Flinty's (96 UK NSX) was the same, mine was the same (96UK NSX) there was a thread on this a while back - all the 96-reg UK NSXs were maxing at 71 in 2nd gear.

I'm sure someone will locate the thread.

HTH
M

NoelWatson
22-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I know the gear ratios were shortened with the 3.2 so quicker acceleration, but lower top speed in each gear? So I don't think 85 to 90 is achievable, maybe with 3.0 it would (apart from this 96?). Think its more like 70ish in a 3.2? Anyone 3.2ers agree with that? Also wander what, if any difference bewteen a 3.2 97+ and a 3.2 02+?

Mine (2004) is around 74 - this ties in with link posted yesterday

Senninha
22-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Hi Adam,

If you've not already done so, have a look here for JDM cars for sale in Japan

http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/search.php?STID=CS210610

If you see something of interest it may be worth talking to Barry of Vtec Direct. He is both a vendor here and an owner of an 94 NSX-R.

As said above, 3.2 pop-ups are probably the hardest to find, especially with good history. Theres a black 3.0 FHC that might interest you http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail.php?STID=CS210840&BKKN=CE0000968363 priced at £23,660 ....plus shipping etc

HTH

Regards, Paul

Mr_Spanners
22-08-2007, 12:41 PM
From Wiki on Prime :

Changes for 1995

Added targa top version: the NSX-T
Roofs now all body colored
New color: Midnight Pearl
Black interior changed from interior code E to code J. It's a little lighter.. a dark charcoal color.
Sportshift "Tiptronic-style" shifting for Automatics
Power Steering becomes standard for Manuals as well as Automatics
Changed gearing of 2nd gear in Manual Transmission
Modified airflow to brakes to improve cooling
Traction Control Light no longer shines green when activated, still shines yellow when inactive
Throttle-By-Wire
Limited Slip Differential Changes on manual transmission cars. Went from Torque Control Ddifferential to a Torque Reactive Differential - when combined with Throttle-By-Wire, increases speeds out of a corner by 10%. Automatic cars keep old differential.
Bumper reinforcements were changed to extruded aluminum instead of the stamped steel
Approx. 100 lbs heaver than 1991/1992 models due to reinforcements for targa top, including: The base of the B pillar where it joins the rocker panel, larger rear bulkhead crossbar, thicker trunk leading edge panel, a redesigned and thicker-walled rear roof section, a redesigned front roof rail section, additional rib in the center rear bulkhead section, a completely redesigned and thicker upper A-pillar. There's also a redesigned and thicker upper dashboard cross member and a redesigned front lower floor section. The extruded aluminum side sills were extensively reinforced - wall thickness of the vertical center web of the 5-sided extrusion went from 2mm to 6mm

Adam Kindness
22-08-2007, 12:59 PM
so just changed in 2nd ?! Doesnt that leave 3rd very tall from a shorter 2nd?

Never tried the box so maybe fine.

Looking at the 23k black JDM now. 23k + 10% + 17.5% plus fee's and shipping etc is quite a bit for a (er what year is it?) It does appear very tidy and low mileage though. But at over 30k in the UK?!

kevinpsw
22-08-2007, 02:25 PM
It's not worth £30k. JDM NSXs, like all grey imports, have a lower value than their UK supplied counterparts. NSXs are just too expensive in Japan to make grey imports financial sense (unless, I suppose, you want an NSX-R, something that would be virtually impossible to source in the UK).

You may end up having to wait for a bit but good 3.0 manuals can be had for £20k and even lower. Yes, there are some highly priced examples around just at the moment, but these cars do seem to be on sale for quite a while before they move; maybe they're open to offers.

It took me months to find my car and I viewed 5 before buying. Hang on in there, the right car for you will turn up.

markc
22-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Here's the thread where gearing was discussed. The actual gearing bit gets going in the middle...

http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=2445&highlight=gearing&page=2

It also contain the link to Prime where there's a table of the various gearing used. Here it is anyway...

Cheers

Mark

mutley
22-08-2007, 03:07 PM

It took me months to find my car and I viewed 5 before buying. Hang on in there, the right car for you will turn up.

I'll second that bit, I looked around for a year before my car fell into my lap, granted if I looked a bit harder I'd have got one in a better condition but still one of the best moves I've made.

Jim

AR
22-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Here's the thread where gearing was discussed. The actually gearing bit gets going in the middle...

It also contain the link to the link to Prime where there's a table of the various gearing used. Here it is anyway...

Cheers

Mark

Mark thanks for digging that up mate.

FWIW and Bazza will probably chime in, but the NSX-R with the Mugen close ratio box is fast. A lot of click, click with the left hand, but very rewarding :).

Anyone knows of a confident mechanic to assemble a box in the UK???

Cheers,

AR
If

Kevin
22-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Anyone knows of a confident mechanic to assemble a box in the UK???

Cheers,

AR

Surely you want a 'competent' mechanic? I have loads of confidence, but probably wouldn't rebuild an NSX gearbox.:)

mutley
22-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Well all I can say is that having had my gearbox apart twice to do the snap-ring repair, it doesn't look all that difficult as long as you have all the parts and manual.

Not sure if I'd give it a go though!!!!

Jim

AR
22-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Surely you want a 'competent' mechanic? I have loads of confidence, but probably wouldn't rebuild an NSX gearbox.:)

Haha, yes competent.

NSXGB
22-08-2007, 07:16 PM
What makes it different from any other gearbox?.....Surely; "Assembly is a direct reversal of removal".....to quote a phrase from a common car workbook...

Did they ever do a Haynes manual for the NSX??

Martin
22-08-2007, 08:10 PM
90 in 2nd !!!!

So... a 96 UK will def have shorter gearing? It wasnt that that car was just altered at some point?

Hi Adam

All 1996-reg UK Manual NSXs I know of max out at 71 in second gear, ie have short gearing. Whether this means a random 1996-reg UK Manual NSX that you go to see will *definitely* have the shorter gearing I cannot comment on, as I haven't had the opportunity to max out every 1996 UK NSX in 2nd gear :-)

I would like to test drive everyones NSX but life is too short and people are mean with their cars :-)

Cheers
Martin

Papalazarou
22-08-2007, 08:10 PM
How did this thread end up about sodding gearboxes? My anorak alert has gone to code red! Come on guys, this forum can be dull at the best of times without hijacking a perfectly good thread about 'investment paranoia' and turning into 'whose got the shortest ratios.' And if I hear another comment about JDM gearing, I'm going to paint all your wheels gold.

I've said my piece, don't let it happen again.

Cheers,

James.

P.s, Kevin do you think I'm moderator material?

Martin
22-08-2007, 08:16 PM
From Wiki on Prime :

Changes for 1995

Changed gearing of 2nd gear in Manual Transmission

I am surprised and impressed Wikipedia picked up on the gearing change, but I believe it is not just 2nd that changed.

I must max out 3rd on a 'private runway' to see, but the gearchange from 2nd to 3rd leaves the revs strong, so I suspect 3rd also has short gearing.

Sorry for rambling on!

Papalazarou
22-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Sorry for rambling on!

That's ok, I just felt like being assertive.

Cheers,

James.

p.s, I know where you live and have procured the gold paint!:-)

Martin
22-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Here's the thread where gearing was discussed. The actual gearing bit gets going in the middle...

It also contain the link to Prime where there's a table of the various gearing used. Here it is anyway...

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark

However, there was another thread also, where a few people with 91-94 UK NSXs reported 90 in 2nd, like Tiff Needell in the video posted on this thread by Noel.

Martin
22-08-2007, 08:25 PM
That's ok, I just felt like being assertive.

Cheers,

James.

p.s, I know where you live and have procured the gold paint!:-)

Leave your evil gold paint away from my car!!...it might look good on your shiny new blue one, :-0 but not on my greenie :-)

Cheers

TheSebringOne
22-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Papa, whats the point of asking Kevin about being a moderator & having a dig about moving away from the original thread, when the contributed to the gear box thread!? Your not after his Adminforum job? :eek: Watch your back Kevin! :D

TheSebringOne
22-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Agreed, Papa why don't you paint over your LBB with gold, so it might increase the value since this thread is about values increasing ! :D:laugh:

mutley
22-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Yes I agree about hijacking, at least when I do I usually ake a staement and then start a new thread on what ever topic the hijack created................. OK that's my apple polisher bit done.

I'm sure with the rareity (is that a word?) of the NSX and the fact that more and more people have realised that this isn't the yuppie 80's times and badge snobbery, although still existing, isn't as bad as it used to be and realising FINALLY what a car the NSX is, prices will remain stable if not go up like good property.

My tuppence worth!

Jim

Martin
23-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Yes I agree about hijacking, at least when I do I usually ake a staement and then start a new thread on what ever topic the ijack created................. OK that's my apple polisher bit done.

My tuppence worth!

Jim

Hi Jim

Maybe you need to polish your apple as you say! The thread was started by Adam, who expressed an interest in NSXs with 'short gearing'. Thats why the 'short gearting' vein of the thread started, and why it continued.

...and thats my tuppence worth!

mutley
23-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Aye, fair one I suppose!!

Jim

dan the man
23-08-2007, 06:30 AM
Lets hope they do increase with time. Although not quite old enough yet as was still being built not long ago and have not been superceeded.

My friend has just sold his E30 M3 after owning it for 5 years...

for £500 more than he paid for it. Now thats a good investment

AR
23-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Lets hope they do increase with time. Although not quite old enough yet as was still being built not long ago and have not been superceeded.

My friend has just sold his E30 M3 after owning it for 5 years...

for £500 more than he paid for it. Now thats a good investment

Sorry mate but how much was a pint 5 years ago? Don't forget about inflation!

Cheers,

AR

AR
23-08-2007, 07:04 AM
I am surprised and impressed Wikipedia picked up on the gearing change, but I believe it is not just 2nd that changed.

I must max out 3rd on a 'private runway' to see, but the gearchange from 2nd to 3rd leaves the revs strong, so I suspect 3rd also has short gearing.

Sorry for rambling on!

No that is why seceond is short for that one, to leave you in V-Tec.

TheQuietOne
23-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Back on topic briefly, mines up for sale for £38,000 if anyone fancies it?

:D

mutley
23-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Back on topic briefly, mines up for sale for £38,000 if anyone fancies it?

:D

you're not selling up surely????????

TheQuietOne
23-08-2007, 11:36 AM
For £38K I would :laugh:

forumadmin
23-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Right, I'm locking this thread for the rambling, dribbling, wandering mess that it has become.

Serves you all right.

Instead, start new threads about whatever was in here, and stay on topic.

(Though reading through this was quite funny)