PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads - opinions

Senninha
28-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Much has been debated previously, however I'm looking for a fresh update on peoples views / preferences on brake pads.

I'm currently running with the Project Mu street/track pads that I purchased from MJ at Dali about a year ago. These pads have covered about 4k miles.

General driving has been no issue and combined with the low dust characteristic, I feel the choice was a good one based on the advise and opinions of other users at the time.

However, yesterday I was on the Pistonheads hoon around the A & B roads of Essex, during which there was much spirited driving, mixing it up with a GT3 RS, a 360 and other interesting and quick vehicles.

The drive was split into 3 segments with the middle and last parts taking in some great roads that whilst mainly in 2nd and 3rd gears (mostly in Vtec range), did require some significant braking activity. What became clear and noticeable through the pedal, was mild fade resulting in a deadening of the pedal. As the fluid and pipes have been recently changed (about 1k miles), I'm confident this area is OK.

So the question is simple. What pads are people using and with what results. The question is aimed towards those who 'use' their NSX under similar conditions, possibly with occasional track use as this would also place above normal requirements on the brakes.

Thanx in advance, Paul

bazza
28-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Much has been debated previously, however I'm looking for a fresh update on peoples views / preferences on brake pads.

I'm currently running with the Project Mu street/track pads that I purchased from MJ at Dali about a year ago. These pads have covered about 4k miles.

General driving has been no issue and combined with the low dust characteristic, I feel the choice was a good one based on the advise and opinions of other users at the time.

However, yesterday I was on the Pistonheads hoon around the A & B roads of Essex, during which there was much spirited driving, mixing it up with a GT3 RS, a 360 and other interesting and quick vehicles.

The drive was split into 3 segments with the middle and last parts taking in some great roads that whilst mainly in 2nd and 3rd gears (mostly in Vtec range), did require some significant braking activity. What became clear and noticeable through the pedal, was mild fade resulting in a deadening of the pedal. As the fluid and pipes have been recently changed (about 1k miles), I'm confident this area is OK.

So the question is simple. What pads are people using and with what results. The question is aimed towards those who 'use' their NSX under similar conditions, possibly with occasional track use as this would also place above normal requirements on the brakes.

Thanx in advance, Paul

Hi Paul,

1. What pads exactly? Mu have a huge lineup!
2. What fluid are you using? Dot 4? 5.1?
3. What lines are you using? Braided? Teflon?
4. What rotors are you using? OEM? Slotted?

Cheers

Senninha
28-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi Paul,

1. What pads exactly? Mu have a huge lineup!
2. What fluid are you using? Dot 4? 5.1?
3. What lines are you using? Braided? Teflon?
4. What rotors are you using? OEM? Slotted?

Cheers
Hi Barry,

1- Project MU B-force
2- Castrol 5.1
3- Braided from Dali
4- NSX-R OEM grooved

regards, Paul

AR
28-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Paul have you done anything about the cooling side of brakes?

Senninha
28-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Paul have you done anything about the cooling side of brakes?
Hi Ary,

When I refurbed them last winter, I added the larger cooling ducts that Dali offers. They have approx 4 times the surface area to deflect air onto the front brakes.

regards, Paul

AR
28-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Did you remove the splash guards?

Senninha
28-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Did you remove the splash guards?

No, its a road car and they are there for a reason after all ...

AR
28-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Paul on my NSX-R the splash guards had a large cut out to allow better air circulation, maybe you can get those too?

Kevin
28-08-2007, 07:03 PM
NSX brakes suffer from heat. However don't feel bad if you are comparing braking to cars like GT3 RSs.

I would either;

- Live with the fact you do not have a GT3.
- Remove the splash guards. Maybe wait for my CF ones I'm going to do which will have ducting that will go to the centre of the rotor where it's supposed to.
- Get bigger brakes, which in most cases means getting new wheels too.
- Play on the track where you don't need to slow down for corners, buses, trucks or anything else coming your way.

More seriously, nothing I (and I think Mo would agree) could do on standard brakes was enough to really stop fade. If you get pads that can handle, the discs won't like the pads.

AR
28-08-2007, 07:23 PM
I would either;

- Live with the fact you do not have a GT3.

That is just mean!

Seriously I would say that you should really look into getting either Kevin's or the NSX-Rs splashguards.

Cheers,

AR

Kevin
28-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Sometimes the truth has to be told. Tough Love.

Surely the application of a jigsaw or holesaw to the OEM guards is a cheaper option than actually trying to source NSX-R ones?

AR
28-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Sometimes the truth has to be told. Tough Love.

Surely the application of a jigsaw or holesaw to the OEM guards is a cheaper option than actually trying to source NSX-R ones?

That would be more of my style than Pauls. :)

dan the man
28-08-2007, 08:06 PM
I have mugen front dics, Project MY pads on the front (not sure which ones..) and standard hoses and AP fluid.

worked fine on the ring.. but dust has eaten into the alloys with the looks of it. Probably the heat and metal segments.

Senninha
28-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Maybe wait for my CF ones I'm going to do which will have ducting that will go to the centre of the rotor where it's supposed to.

Saying I dont have a GT3 isnt mean, its fact...:(

However, saying that you may be manufacturing NSX-R style CF splash guards really is mean ;) Any idea on production date Kevin?

regards, Paul

AR
28-08-2007, 11:05 PM
I have mugen front dics, Project MY pads on the front (not sure which ones..) and standard hoses and AP fluid.

worked fine on the ring.. but dust has eaten into the alloys with the looks of it. Probably the heat and metal segments.

You have MUGEN DICS! How can any Honda fan beat that! :)

dan the man
29-08-2007, 06:12 AM
lol typo city.

PROJECT MU PADS AND MUGEN DISCS.

lmao.