PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Targa on E Bay - Anyone in Lancs who could view?

kevinpsw
22-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Owner is refreshingly honest about its faults so the car must be worth a look. The problem for me is that it would be about 450 miles round trip. Is there an NSXCB member who lives in Lancs and near to the seller who would consider viewing the car if it were not too far away? No commitment involved but drop me a PM if you might be able to do it. Clearly, much would depend upon how far the car is from your home - Lancs is quite a big place!

dan the man
22-09-2007, 12:00 PM
where is it?

post a link if u want. im in lancs

simonprelude
22-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Thought this one was going to go under the radar, tempted myself as a project car :)

Lankstarr
22-09-2007, 05:03 PM
mmmmmmmmmm yellow targa......

kevinpsw
22-09-2007, 05:05 PM
The 95 UK car has no service history, it has done over 90k and the owner reports a list of faults, most of which are not serious. The owner has had it for 10 years and says it has been maintained properly albeit privately, i.e. no receipts. It is in Accrington. It is 'buy it now' at £20k (clearly unlikely to make that much) with starting bids at £15k. I realise that without FHSH it would always be very difficlut to sell on but I'm looking for a car for keeps. I want to explore all of the options and maybe, with a bit of TLC, this is not a bad car.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260162667699&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

dan the man
22-09-2007, 05:54 PM
5 mins from me i might go tomorrow for oyu.

If seller agrees..think ive seen/ heard of this car before.
lets hope it moves away !

dan the man
22-09-2007, 05:58 PM
ive emailed the seller for you to have a look. Hope i dont like the yellow roof too much.. eeek!

:)

Lankstarr
22-09-2007, 11:41 PM
KEvin,

FYI I had no SH when I brought my car. I did enough research to find out taht it had been fully serviced by Honda dealers throughout it's life and Honda UK were good enough to provide me with a new service book to get restamped (only because it was an NSX!). I now have all the stamps and copies of bills for services for all bar the first service when it was a HOnda UK car (but I have a letter from Honda UK saying it was their car and it was serviced but they can't do a restamp!).

Point is that if you can reproduce enough history then you can get a new book and have it stamped... even if not Honda stamps then you have sopmething to work on, easy if it's all been done by one guy!

If it's forkeeps with minor probs then you'll probably increase the value by sorting them out. The dodgy speedo would worry me though, although the seller sounds like he's being honest, it's pretty hard to tell what's gone on and why it is faulty... has someone disconnected it and then reconnected it wrongly? Be very attentive to the condition of the interior.

Good luck!

Luke

kevinpsw
23-09-2007, 06:18 AM
Sadly, from what I understand, Honda garages were not involved in the servicing, although I suppose some of the parts must have been sourced through Honda. Therefore, I could not hope to do as you did.

I've been trying to put a value on the car. I would have priced a 1995 90+k car with FHSH and no faults but no warranty at no more than £18k so, with a list of work to do and no SH at all, it would be a good few thousands less. I don't know about targa vs coupe prices, I'd guess about the same. The car is already attracting bids so a couple of people out there must be keen.

dan the man
23-09-2007, 07:38 AM
the speedo thing worries me too..

Ive not read about one failing before and never had one on any of my hondas before.. so who knows..

dan the man
23-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Ok seller has emailed me saying today is no good but thursday or friday next week.

Ive given him my mobile so hopefully we can sort a viewing out later next week pal.

simonprelude
23-09-2007, 10:59 AM
The one on my Prelude failed at 35000 miles, I guess they aren't that much different. As long as it is documented at failure and receipt to show it replaced then no issues, With this NSX I am not sure if that will be the case though.

However a 'mint' 95 manual targa would be advertised for around £22k - £23k so you pays your money........

Ive not read about one failing before and never had one on any of my hondas before.. so who knows..

kevinpsw
23-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks Dan. I do appreciate the trouble you're prepared to go to.

dan the man
23-09-2007, 11:52 AM
cheers simon... maybe it didnt like the mods and decided to throw a wobbler..:D

and No problem at all..nice and local helps u out Kev. :)

Eric
23-09-2007, 01:13 PM
When buying something like this you really should have a service history. I agree with Dan, I have had ten Hondas and worked in a Honda garage and never came across a speedo going.

Have you checked the Autotrader website and the 20 NSX cars for sale?

kevinpsw
23-09-2007, 01:39 PM
You are right to advise caution and I am cautious by nature when it comes to cars - apart from the Triumph Stag that taught me to check and double check before parting with hard-earned cash!

Dan has kindly agreed to take a view and I do really like yellow.

There is a car on Autotrader that I am looking into as well.

jaytip
25-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Sadly, from what I understand, Honda garages were not involved in the servicing, although I suppose some of the parts must have been sourced through Honda. Therefore, I could not hope to do as you did.

I've been trying to put a value on the car. I would have priced a 1995 90+k car with FHSH and no faults but no warranty at no more than £18k so, with a list of work to do and no SH at all, it would be a good few thousands less. I don't know about targa vs coupe prices, I'd guess about the same. The car is already attracting bids so a couple of people out there must be keen.
I think that price is a bit optimistic for a car as you describe.I sold my 96 which had stone chips all over the front bumber for 21K and i think i let that go cheaply.

HONDANSXR
25-09-2007, 10:52 PM

my 91 m.y. has had a new speedo that was fitted by the dealer , i know , i even seen a honda with its hazard warning lights on at an island the other week, must be some kind of conspiracy .

Rob_Fenn
26-09-2007, 01:31 PM
For me, it seems like he has just not taken any care of it. Perhaps because he's been tied to shoe string budget.

If he can't be bothered to get ANYTHING repaired, then surely this means he didn't treat it well? It just sounds like a false economy to me.

Can the owner prove at all when it was serviced? Even the last service?

Steve
26-09-2007, 02:59 PM
If the speedo is stuffed, and no service history is there any other way to check the milage??? If not I would be very weary about spending £££££'s Could you get someone from Honda locally to check it over for some cash???

kevinpsw
26-09-2007, 03:08 PM
So, what do we think it's worth?

Make the following assumptions:

Nothing more wrong than as listed.
Paintwork fine apart from minor blemishs.
Mileage approaching 100k, his best guess seems to be 95k on Pistonheads and 90k on ebay.
No paperwork to support any services whatsoever.
You want an NSX for keeps (5 years+) and are not overly concerned about resale so long as it is a bargain price to start with.

Dan the Man is going to view it on my behalf as I really don't think I can make it this weekend.

NSXGB
26-09-2007, 03:18 PM
If the speedo is stuffed, and no service history is there any other way to check the milage??? If not I would be very weary about spending £££££'s Could you get someone from Honda locally to check it over for some cash???

Old MOT's??

Steve
26-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Do MOT's have to show milage?

NSXGB
26-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Do MOT's have to show milage?

Oh yes. Although the ones you get through the post can have any mileage you want on them....

AR
26-09-2007, 03:58 PM
If people are paying that much for that POS I might as well put mine on sale!

simonprelude
26-09-2007, 04:01 PM
I would have been tempted to pay £15k but not much more.

If people are paying that much for that POS I might as well put mine on sale!

AR
26-09-2007, 04:20 PM
I would have been tempted to pay £15k but not much more.

Exactly!!!

dan the man
26-09-2007, 06:35 PM
For me, it seems like he has just not taken any care of it. Perhaps because he's been tied to shoe string budget.

If he can't be bothered to get ANYTHING repaired, then surely this means he didn't treat it well? It just sounds like a false economy to me.

Can the owner prove at all when it was serviced? Even the last service?

Well the guys owned it 11 years he says and has a new R8 on order. top guy to talk too and sounds like a petrol head, going to view on saturday morning.

Senninha
26-09-2007, 10:54 PM
So, what do we think it's worth?

Make the following assumptions:

Nothing more wrong than as listed.
Paintwork fine apart from minor blemishs.
Mileage approaching 100k, his best guess seems to be 95k on Pistonheads and 90k on ebay.
No paperwork to support any services whatsoever.
You want an NSX for keeps (5 years+) and are not overly concerned about resale so long as it is a bargain price to start with.

Dan the Man is going to view it on my behalf as I really don't think I can make it this weekend.

If you could get this for £16k, spend no mre the £2k to restore, then I think £18k for a keeper sounds fair. I would'nt worry about the fixed vs targa pricing as there seems to be little difference these days. Could be a good deal and probably the right age for your plate too?

Good luck, Paul

Ferris Bueller
27-09-2007, 06:42 PM
If you could get this for £16k, spend no mre the £2k to restore, then I think £18k for a keeper sounds fair. I would'nt worry about the fixed vs targa pricing as there seems to be little difference these days. Could be a good deal and probably the right age for your plate too?

Good luck, Paul

Totally agree with Paul here.

It's potentially a good car, but only at the right price. We've seen several threads here lately where people have dropped 7 and 8 grand on services and upkeep. No disrespect to Dan going to inspect it but I would have it inspected at Honda so all those expensive gremlins and horrors can be weeded out. If it cost you 8k to sort out then it's not such a bargain.....

dan the man
27-09-2007, 08:01 PM
yes our inital thoughts are..

ill just have a look at the car, which is better than him not being able to look where he lives. so its a start. Then if sounds not too bad he can arrange an inspection, then if again as he though he can make the trip up to properly view :)

simonprelude
11-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Even though the winning bid was £15,801.00 the car has now been relisted ??
Strange............ or is it ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260168948825

kevinpsw
11-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I use eBay, both to buy and to sell, but not for big and expensive items. There are people out there who bid for fun knowing that the worse that can happen is bad feedback. I think eBay for cars is best on the classified add basis.

The owner told Dan, who viewed on my behalf, that the bidders had not even been to see the car. Obviously not serious buyers then.

mart155
16-10-2007, 10:33 AM
I noticed last night that the car was back on ebay again.
Seems that the description has changed somewhat though.
The list of faults has been trimmed down a bit. Hmm.

simonprelude
16-10-2007, 10:35 AM
I've bid on a couple of NSX's on ebay without viewing them.
Infact bidding on one now that if I win I won't see it until I buy.

The owner told Dan, who viewed on my behalf, that the bidders had not even been to see the car. Obviously not serious buyers then.

kevinpsw
16-10-2007, 02:17 PM
What a brave thing to do. Still, if the vendor had told a pack of lies about the car, you could always just walk away and take the hit on feedback.

simonprelude
16-10-2007, 02:20 PM
No I just always have a worst case scenario price in mind.
If anyone is stupid enough to let one go for the price I am willing to pay then there will only be one person not wanting to do the deal.

What a brave thing to do. Still, if the vendor had told a pack of lies about the car, uou could always just walk away and take the hit on feedback.