PDA

View Full Version : First drive in the NSX

Andeh
04-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Good day today!

I popped over to see my dad at work. It was just to say hello and have another look at the NSX. Atleast, that's what i thought. I turned up, he tossed me the keys and said "Fancy taking it for a spin?" :eek:

I was only on a lunch break so i couldn't go too far. However, it didn't take more than a few hundred yards to be head over heels in love with the thing. It's amazing. No other word for it. Initially it's quite stiff to take it out of park but having done it once it loosens up nicely. Could this be due to the £7k gearbox rebuild it's had?
The other thing i noticed was the heavy steering. I've spoken to my dad about it and he said he also found it quite heavy. Hopefully one of you nice knowledgeable people will be able to confirm if that's normal or not.

4 and a bit hours later and the sensation is still paramount in my mind. The highlight for me is the noise. I love the noise!

Thanks for reading. Hope you all continue to enjoy your NSX's for many years to come. I'm very very jealous of you!

Andy

TheQuietOne
04-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed it - the noise is by far the most amazing thing when you first drive the cars....

amo
04-10-2007, 07:11 PM
glad u had so much fun
now just time to buy 1 lol

thx amo

dan the man
04-10-2007, 07:17 PM
take it out of park ?

Is it an auto ?

yes great cars and thanks for sharing your enthuisiasm we all have ;)

simonprelude
04-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Yes this was the bargain South Coast Auto with the 02+ wheels.

Andeh - Any more thought by your Dad on selling the wheels ??

gumball
04-10-2007, 08:31 PM
The steering is quite heavy in these old cars compared to the overlight steering of modern cars, and the gear box takes a while to warm up, but once warmed through find an empty B road= :cloud9:

TheSebringOne
04-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Andy, join the induction howl fan club here, except we get to hear it regulary and like you every time I go for a drive, it still puts a big grin on my face! :yes::thumbsup: Is your dad's a non assisted steering or PAS? Did they do non assisted steering with autos on early Xs?

AR
04-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Auto = PAS so I guess my would be undriveable for someone who finds PAS hard. :)

Steve
04-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Andy, tell your Dad to get you a key cut for being a great son!!!

simonprelude
05-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Just trying to find a photo but I am sure there is a T bar style strengthening beam on the coupe. Anyone know the photo I mean ??

Andeh
15-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Haven't logged on for quite a while but the pm i received (turned out to be spam) encouraged me to pop back. So, while i'm here... a quick update on my old mans NSX.

A few months ago he received an invite to the Honda F1 factory at Brackley. A perfect outing for the NSX he thought, however, on the way there he had a slight coming together with a Lithuanian HGV. The driver couldn't see the car because it was in his blind spot. Thus, he sort of nudged up against the passenger side front wing. Ouch! :cantlook:

Luckily it was a very low speed impact and caused only very minor damage, bearing in mind the size of an HGV compared to an NSX. The wing had a crease and the wheel was scuffed. The best my father could do at the time was to take photos of everything he could think of. The truck, the trailer, the plates, the drivers docs etc etc.
As it would turn out i think it's the best thing he did. It took weeks and weeks for the insurance to agree to the car being repaired. Something to do with an international insurance bureau apparently.

As things stand at the moment, the car is still in a local bodyshop. The last time i checked they were waiting for another replacement front wing. Just in case you're wondering, an unpainted unfitted part from Honda is £1700. :eek:
While the car is in the bodyshop it's also had it's front bumper and bonnet repainted along with a touch up on the spoiler. Meaning it should be looking better than ever when it eventually returns to us. Just in time for summer!

In other news, i'm getting rid of my Prelude for an S2000 and my dad has still got his Legend. Hondamentalist family i think it's fair to say!!! :thumbsup:

dan the man
15-05-2008, 09:35 PM
s2k nice choice :)

NSXGB
16-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Andeh - Any more thought by your Dad on selling the wheels ??

....you asked as well....I wonder how many more asked...:)

Andeh
18-05-2008, 05:32 AM
Re: the wheels.

I keep suggesting to my father that he should put the original alloys back on the car but he's having none of it. I think he's quite attached the newer style wheels. Shame really!

In fact, while we're on the subject. Is it likely that it could be detrimental to the way the car feels/handles with the newer style wheels over the original fit 5 spoke 15" up front, 16" rears??
Presumably some changes would have been made by Honda when they took the decision to fit 17"s all round.

All opinions and feedback gratefully received.

*EDIT*

s2k nice choice :)

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it.

Senninha
18-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Re: the wheels.

In fact, while we're on the subject. Is it likely that it could be detrimental to the way the car feels/handles with the newer style wheels over the original fit 5 spoke 15" up front, 16" rears??

Yep, terrible thing to do, you should remove them immediately and stop yourself any further worry. ;)

simonprelude
18-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Early cars with the later wheels should run spacers to keep the offset correct as far as I recall, apart from that all should be OK.

If he does change his mond then still interested :)

Silver Surfer
18-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Early cars with the later wheels should run spacers to keep the offset correct as far as I recall

Is this true??
Should I be inserting spacers too as I have gone from 15/16 to 16/17 OEM wheels?

SS

simonprelude
18-05-2008, 06:32 PM
I think it's just the 17/17 ??

I could be wrong, thought someone had mentioned it ??

Is this true??
Should I be inserting spacers too as I have gone from 15/16 to 16/17 OEM wheels?

SS

jaytip
18-05-2008, 11:27 PM
I have read in magazines that the facelifted models had suspension revisions.I don't know what changed were made though.

Greybloke
19-05-2008, 07:13 PM
So is your dads car a "local" one? ie Herts or Beds

TheSebringOne
19-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Think the 02+ had thicker front ARBs and slightly wider track at rear to accommodate slightly wider tyres? :)

NoelWatson
20-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Think the 02+ had thicker front ARBs and slightly wider track at rear to accommodate slightly wider tyres? :)

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

Changes for 2002

Wheel sizes changed to 17 x 7" front and 17 x 9" rear.
Tire sizes changed to 215/40ZR/17 front and 255/40ZR/17 Rear
Rear track increased 1/2" from 60.2" to 60.7"

Changes for 2003

Rear sway bar size increased from: 17.5 mm to 19.1 mm. Wall thickness remains at 2.3 mm

I reckon the anti roll bar change occured in 2002

Andeh
20-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all the replies. You've confirmed what i had assumed was the case. More ammunition for me in the fight to have the proper wheels put back on the car. ;) Yes, i know it's his car and he can do with it as he pleases.

So is your dads car a "local" one? ie Herts or Beds

My father bought it from a chap in Brighton but it's possible it was once a local car. I'm sure i saw Norton Way in the service book.

Senninha
20-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies. You've confirmed what i had assumed was the case. More ammunition for me in the fight to have the proper wheels put back on the car. ;)

If they're on the car then they must be running with the spacers to clear the calipers, probably only 5mm.

Those later wheels are very hard to find second hand so there will be many who would love to buy them from you. Personally, unless you wish to revert to full OEM look, I would stick with them. You could always buy him a set of OEM 5 spokes (very cheaply nowadays) if you wanted to show the car as OEM. Otherwise, enjoy them asthetically and also the better tyre options from the 17/17 combo

regards, Paul

Andeh
20-05-2008, 01:30 PM
You could always buy him a set of OEM 5 spokes (very cheaply nowadays) if you wanted to show the car as OEM.

Luckily the chap who he bought the car from still had the original 5 spokes and included them in the sale. I'm not sure where my dad has them but he definitely does...somewhere!

...also the better tyre options from the 17/17 combo

That's something i hadn't taken into consideration. I'm assuming it's difficult to find good tyres in 15"/16" for the original wheels??

Steveycaz
20-05-2008, 01:40 PM
true! I had a battle trying to find good tyres. mine are now BFG GForce on the front and Avon ZZ3 rears. I get lots of grip as long as I keep the pressures down lower than the OEM settings

Andeh
21-05-2008, 04:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Andeh/NSX/3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Andeh/NSX/4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Andeh/NSX/5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Andeh/NSX/6.jpg

Papalazarou
21-05-2008, 04:32 PM
I so want your wheels......

Cheers,

James.

markc
21-05-2008, 05:48 PM
To clear up any confusion from earlier in the thread, later original fit NSX wheels whether 16"/17" (1995-2001) or 17"/17" (2002-2005) will fit ANY NSX, no spacers are required. It's only the earlier 15"/16" wheels won't fit on the later, NA2 (post 1997) cars, due to the bigger 298mm front discs/rotors.

As far as I'm aware, the increased rear track of the >2002 (pop-up headlamp) cars was achieved purely as a result of the differant rear wheels which are 0.5" wider and have 56mm rather than 60mm offset. The wheel hubs, discs, calipers etc were all the same as the 1997-2001 (pop-up headlamp) cars.

Mark (being a pedant today :) )

Silver Surfer
21-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Andeh,

I be happy to swap my OEM 16/17 wheels for yours as shown in your pics! :D

SS