PDA

View Full Version : Hot Honda

indi pearl
22-10-2007, 12:47 PM
In the two years of ownership I have continued to be mystified by the unique smell of what my wife calls "hot honda" on returning from a drive.Even after only short trips (say 10 miles) this unusual,allmost medicinal smell fills the garage.I have realised I am far from unique and this has been noted by members both here and on Prime.The smell has been variously attributed to;
Minor oil leaks onto hot engine
Hot tyres
Overflow from coolent tank
Emmision from catalists
Odour from warm engine bay cover
However I spent some time this Sunday (how sad is this?) attempting to track down the source in my case.After a run of just 10 miles the tyres were not hot so no odour,I have no oil leaks and anyway the smell is nothing like that of burning oil,there was no overflow from a cold coolant tank,the exhausts held no smell and a thourough "nosing" of the warm engine bay cover ruled that out as the culprit.However this final test led me to the source,in my case the alternator.This gives of a medicinal phenolic smell,either from the field coils or from the hot plastic body shields.Could this be the same for others with a "Hot Honda"??

AR
22-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Have you checked near the spool valves and cam plugs?

gumball
22-10-2007, 06:04 PM
I get an eggy whiff occasionally, hope the cats arn't on the way out , the last thing i'd want is to have to fit some new free flow ones.

AR
22-10-2007, 06:23 PM
I get an eggy whiff occasionally, hope the cats arn't on the way out , the last thing i'd want is to have to fit some new free flow ones.

Test pipes, the best way to keep your cats clean!

SILVER BULLET
22-10-2007, 06:46 PM
i also seem to be getting a smell from the rear of my car , on closer inspection it turned out to be hot rubber ;) must have been when that very dissrepectful st220 thought it was quick !:no::laugh:

Steveycaz
23-10-2007, 10:54 AM
I get an eggy whiff occasionally.

Me too. I think its something to do with my loose rear end.