PDA

View Full Version : Servicing costs

jaytip
22-11-2007, 05:33 PM
My car is due for it's 3 year/27K service.I phoned 3 different Honda dealerships today(all NSX approved)to get prices and the difference was astonishing:eek:

Ryland honda in Cardiff: £658

What was John Coopers(don't know new name):£550

Two Mills in South Wirral: £393

Anybody know of anywhere cheaper? Please bear in mind though that i would be travelling from south wales and would need to leave the car with them all day,so rather than returning home and collecting the next day,would want somwhere to spend the day at leisure.I know there is a zoo not far from Two Mills to while away the hours,but i would love some other suggestions.

Cheers,

Ivor.

Martin
22-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Ivor

Is that for a comparable service at each dealership?

I've come across these sort of price differences before, and sometimes it was down to different things being included in the service (even though its prescribed!), and some of it, I felt, was down to some of the dealerships seeing what they could get away with!

Cheers
Martin

jaytip
22-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Yep,phoned each one and asked for a price for the 3year/27K service.I think Ryland Honda must be one of the most expensive dealers in the UK.

Ferris Bueller
22-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Do they include resetting the tappets? Needs doing at 3 years old mate.

My 3 yr service was £320 at Norton Way, Letchworth.

ETA. Didn't include the tappets - a £400+ job.

simonprelude
22-11-2007, 06:16 PM
I think the dealership at Cribb's Causeway has an NSX tech.
Give them a ring.

dan the man
22-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Ive been to twomills and seem very nice folk. worskshop immaculate and quite a big dealer actually. My car seems to have been there all of its life and i think ill be going back as just seem spot on.

TheSebringOne
23-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Theres the large Cheshire Oaks retail outlet with an aquarium near 2Mills, plus Chester Zoo like you say! 2Mills is probably the cheapest because its a bit out of the way and not far from North Wales and also North West prices are more reasonable than those down South! :)

simonprelude
23-11-2007, 08:14 AM
I've dived in that Aquarium, didn't realise 2 mills was that close, I would have popped in as I had the NSX with me (well in the car park).

indi pearl
23-11-2007, 11:19 AM
So,another diver and NSX owner.Off to the Galapagos next year to film the shark action at Wolf and Darwin.

jaytip
23-11-2007, 03:03 PM
I will probably take it up to Two Mills.The car is originaly from there anyway.Plus there is the Tudor Rose lodge next door so i could stay overnight and drive home feeling fresh the next morning.

amo
23-11-2007, 04:29 PM
hi mate
i just take mine to hyeline in cardiff

no need to go to honda mmmmm

thx amo

jaytip
23-11-2007, 04:52 PM
hi mate
i just take mine to hyeline in cardiff

no need to go to honda mmmmm

thx amo
For what i want done i could quite easily take it to my mate who is a qualified fitter,but i think the all Honda stamps in the book come resale time could be worth thousands more.

amo
23-11-2007, 05:36 PM
if its under warrentteee then honda it is if not
i dont think its worth that much may be a few hundred but personally i dont think they all that
thx amo

TheSebringOne
23-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Amo, I disagree pal, with a special car like the NSX, FHSH is must! Not just for my own peace of mind but for resale to any potential buyers! :)

amo
23-11-2007, 10:47 PM
ya but would you pay serval thousand just for the honda stamp
or stamps from a performance garage

thx amo

jaytip
24-11-2007, 02:41 PM
ya but would you pay serval thousand just for the honda stamp
or stamps from a performance garage

thx amo
The thing is there are no known garages out there that specialize in all things NSX.I know Plans work on them,and i know TDI can work on them,but if i wanted serious work done on my engine it would have to be a known NSX friendly Honda dealership.
Picture this scenario.A guy new to the NSX wants to buy one and he has seen two similarly priced cars that he likes.One has a service book full of stamps by a Honda dealer approved to work on the NSX.The other has a service book with a few Honda stamps and the rest by some garage he has probably never heard of.Now if i were said buyer,and not knowledgable about the NSX i would think the owner of the second car was penny pinching,and thus choose the first car.

amo
24-11-2007, 03:21 PM
i get what your saying
but i would contact the garage and ask them
now i trust my garage when im going to do the engine build ill give it to them to do

tdi never done a supercharger and only worked on i think 1 nsx before mine
now i got good feed back and let them do it, got them to do the full tune and never had a prob with my bbsc even with all the probs with usa on the bbsc

still rather gone to performance garage then honda personaly id rather go to some 1 who knows engines

dealers over rated sorry

thx amo

jaytip
24-11-2007, 04:01 PM
i get what your saying
but i would contact the garage and ask them
now i trust my garage when im going to do the engine build ill give it to them to do

tdi never done a supercharger and only worked on i think 1 nsx before mine
now i got good feed back and let them do it, got them to do the full tune and never had a prob with my bbsc even with all the probs with usa on the bbsc

still rather gone to performance garage then honda personaly id rather go to some 1 who knows engines

dealers over rated sorry

thx amo
I agree with some of what you are saying,but i think that an NSX dealership-Two Mills,Chiswick,Norton Way-are going to see far more NSX's than a tuning garage is going to,and so for regular servicing and engine work they are going to know more than a tuning garage.Remember you have a far from stock NSX and as such your car requires "tuning" to get the best from it.My car is stock and staying that way and as such i only require servicing which i think the above mentioned garages are going to to as good a job as any of the tuning companys out there.Plus i get my Honda stamp:)

amo
24-11-2007, 04:31 PM
true
and yes you do get a honda stamp lol

never had any work done by honda myself and yes true they have seen more and will see more nsx then any other garage

thx amo

AR
24-11-2007, 06:34 PM
I can say that horses for courses. The Master technician that works at Ryland, is a great guy and a fan of the NSX. I would trust him to do the job, right everytime. He calls me personally rather than have the desk call me and money aside he is the best.

BTW No I am not on comission! LOL

Cheers,

AR

charlie:one
24-11-2007, 07:56 PM
hi all just had the second service done at chiswick cost £98 +vat I provided the oil , nigel

amo
25-11-2007, 04:52 PM
hay mate ok
so what is a second service ??
oil
oil filter
fuel filter
plugs
???

pls correct me
thx amo

britlude
25-11-2007, 05:21 PM
oh well, that's me stuffed then, I do all my own servicing!

jaytip
25-11-2007, 10:36 PM
I can say that horses for courses. The Master technician that works at Ryland, is a great guy and a fan of the NSX. I would trust him to do the job, right everytime. He calls me personally rather than have the desk call me and money aside he is the best.

BTW No I am not on comission! LOL

Cheers,

AR
And yet when my car was sometimes refusing to start(just a rapid clicking noise from the bulkhead behind the seats) he misdiagnosed it as too many electrical components coming off the ignition.But for a quick search on Prime it could have proven to be an expensive,unnessasary and wrong fix.It turned out to be a loose battery connection.
Anyway,Rylands ripoff prices dictates that any work to my new car will be done elsewhere.

AR
25-11-2007, 10:52 PM
And yet when my car was sometimes refusing to start(just a rapid clicking noise from the bulkhead behind the seats) he misdiagnosed it as too many electrical components coming off the ignition.But for a quick search on Prime it could have proven to be an expensive,unnessasary and wrong fix.It turned out to be a loose battery connection.
Anyway,Rylands ripoff prices dictates that any work to my new car will be done elsewhere.

Well in my case, in case it is the same guy, he has done a better job than two mills.

Horses for courses.

Cheers,

AR

jaytip
26-11-2007, 03:05 AM
Well in my case, in case it is the same guy, he has done a better job than two mills.

Horses for courses.

Cheers,

AR
Spiro,is that the guy?

AR
26-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Yes, he seems OK with me and has done as I said, a good job on both cars I had service there. I can't say the same about Two Mills as they gave me wrong advice on the cam belt.

Cheers,

AR

jaytip
26-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Yes, he seems OK with me and has done as I said, a good job on both cars I had service there. I can't say the same about Two Mills as they gave me wrong advice on the cam belt.

Cheers,

AR
What was is Two Mills said Ary? Pm me if you like.

Cheers,
Ivor.

AR
26-11-2007, 04:20 PM
They were saying that my car did not need a new belt based on the mileage. I clearly pointed that the car was 6 years old and it needed it.
They did not have the air filter in stock when they new the car was booked for it and I had travelled 200 miles to service the car. I said not to wash it and they did.

Cheers,

AR

jaytip
06-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Well had my service done at Two Mills,i was quoted £393 over the phone and actually got it dicounted down to £360 which included paying £10 to waive the £500 excess on the courtesy car i had.All in all i am very happy with that.

Ary which car did you take up there for servicing,Was it your IOP?

dan the man
07-12-2007, 06:54 AM
glad you have said that ary about twomills. as its where i was going to take my nsx. at least i can be aware now, i hate little things like that- not listening to simple instructions.

AR
07-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Ary which car did you take up there for servicing,Was it your IOP?

Yes mate, it was that one.

jaytip
07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Yes mate, it was that one.
I think the sevice guy may have been right regarding your car not needing the timing belt changed then.In the service book for my car it says that the timing belt should be changed at 96 months or 72K.I asked the sevice guy about that saying that my previous NSX was much earlier and he said that it changed on cars from 98 onwards.
Could somebody with a post 98 car check their sevice book to see if theirs is the same?

P.S I think they may have taken your wishes for not cleaning the car on board now Ary.Mine was cleaned inside but the outside wasn't touched.

TheSebringOne
07-12-2007, 04:25 PM
All NSX from 98 had their minor/major service intervals extended in line with all other Honda models. For eg, oil was 6k, now 9k? and cambelts/spark plugs from 5 years or 60K to 6 years or 72K. I'm not sure of 02+ models as you say, 8 years or 72K miles ?

AR
07-12-2007, 07:06 PM
[quote=jaytip;35831]In the service book for my car it says that the timing belt should be changed at 96 months or 72K.I asked the sevice guy about that saying that my previous NSX was much earlier and he said that it changed on cars from 98 onwards.
Could somebody with a post 98 car check their sevice book to see if theirs is the same?
quote]

AFAIK is 72 months, is the same part number, the only reason they changed it was because of US regulations.

1999 car in 2005 = 6 years old or 72 months.

jaytip
08-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.I wonder why the jump to 8 years on the newer NSX?

AR
09-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Thanks for clearing that up.I wonder why the jump to 8 years on the newer NSX?

I think that in the US major components that related emissions had to last 8 years so Honda offered this:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/tsb/98-031.htm

and for good measure reevaluated some components replacement intervals.

Cheers,

AR