PDA

View Full Version : Calipers

fuzilov
09-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know of a place where I can get calipers done in red?

amo
09-12-2007, 03:56 PM
id paint them yourself
a good few hours and a bit of elbow greassss
thx amo

AR
09-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Does anyone know of a place where I can get calipers done in red?

NA2 NSX-R = Black calipers, unless is a matter of preference, I would leave them OEM.

Cheers,

AR

fuzilov
09-12-2007, 06:15 PM
the calipers are gold and get rusty very easily,wanted to make them stand out abit,had bottom lip spoiler done in white and thought red calipers would finish it nicely.

Nick Graves
09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
By all means paint them (I've done the Prelude's in dark gold, to try to match the original finish!) but I'd advise against red.

The Nova boys have ruined that as a colour, even if it's OEM - as on the Boxster S.

Might as well leave a Maccy D's wrapper in the car to fester!

Silver Surfer
09-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Paint it in any colour Fusilov wishes! Subsequent owner if it ever gets sold can paint it back to gold or black whatever.

SS

Senninha
10-12-2007, 08:40 AM
If going for a professional paint then you will have to be off road a few days as thye will strip from car and probably strip and rebuild the calipers into the process and this will add £££

Doing it yourself is less than a days job and can be done with calipers still on the car. I bought the paint for the calipers and pads from ebay.

NSX-R should be Satin Black even though yours has the gold finish. As Nick says, the Nova boys have killed the red option IMO. Only other color I would consider would be Yellow if you dont want Black, however, I'm not sure what this would look like against the Championship White.

Anyone any good with photoshop?

regards, Paul

Senninha
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
might aswell complete the photo options :)

Rob_Fenn
10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
I'd agree that red is a bad idea, you'd be joining the Brembo wanabees.. not needed on an NSX-R!

You can buy Hammerite from Halfords, it's not hard. I was lazy and got Plans to refresh and repaint my VX220s calipers and they looked brand new.

Papalazarou
10-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I think that if Fuzilov wants them red, he should go for it.

Personally I couldn't care less whether the average Nova driver has embraced the red caliper thing. This site is in danger of getting a bit too retentive about these kind of details.

I say enjoy car ownership but don't obsess. This 'IMHO' thing just steers people down a predictable path. Conspicuous consumption has made us soft and incapable of making our own minds up without cross referencing the decision with what everyone else decides is acceptable.

The tail just keeps wagging the dog and we all pay the price.

NSX 2000
10-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I think that if Fuzilov wants them red, he should go for it.

Personally I couldn't care less whether the average Nova driver has embraced the red caliper thing. This site is in danger of getting a bit too retentive about these kind of details.

I say enjoy car ownership but don't obsess. This 'IMHO' thing just steers people down a predictable path. Conspicuous consumption has made us soft and incapable of making our own minds up without cross referencing the decision with what everyone else decides is acceptable.

The tail just keeps wagging the dog and we all pay the price.

James were you out drinking the local cider last night????

jaytip
10-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Well i don't think red looks as bad as some of you are saying,but then i guess i'm biased.

TheSebringOne
10-12-2007, 03:03 PM
I think Fuzilov should have whatever colour calipers as he wishes, it his car, abeit a very unique one at that! HTH :)

NSXGB
10-12-2007, 03:11 PM
The worst thing about having red calipers will be keeping them clean.

Black calipers with the NSX letters in silver is the way to go...:)

WhyOne?
10-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Black calipers with the NSX letters in silver is the way to go...:)

This is the conclusion I have come to.

The calipers on Y1 let the car down badly, but I am unsure how hard it will be to do a good job of painting them......I have seen some awful DIY jobs (on S2000's, not NSX's I hasten to add)....so I keep putting it off as 'too difficuly / too scared of cocking it up!'

Any advice on preparation of the calipers prior to paining and best technique to get a good looking/robust finish would be most welcome. Additionally, as Simon says, I think the 'NSX' lettering looks good in silver on satin black calipers. I am sure a little work with a dremel after painting would produce the desired effect, but how do you then seal the exposed metal to stop it corroding?

Papalazarou
10-12-2007, 05:09 PM
James were you out drinking the local cider last night????

No, maybe that's the problem, I haven't had a drink for nearly 4 months!
If that were my car those calipers would be lime green; now that's a cool colour!

Cheers,

James.

nigel
10-12-2007, 10:19 PM
If I knew how to put pictures here i'd show mine. I have a GPW 92' with the front spoiler and rear valance painted GPW. I put on 7 spoke Type-R GPW wheels I made with help from an airport friend of mine, and painted the calipers black and they look the bussiness. I hope to get someone to teach me someday soon to get photos posted as it's nearly done. Not to bad for a poor helicopter engineer / crew member, if I say so myself.

WhyOne, it's a piece of piss to do. Just paper off the wheel well so you don't get overspray. CLEAN THEM REAL WELL!!! Use throttle body cleaner or a like item and a small brush to remove the dirt and dust. Tape off the pistons and fittings and spray them with High Temp brake caliper paint, (good to 500f) from the parts store. I actually used charcol grill paint. Don't hurry and spray them in many light coats for the best coverage. Lightly and carefully sand the NSX so the gray paint will stick and spray High Temp gray paint into a container,(the cap) and use a small brush. Let them dry for and hour or so and re-install them. I'd let them sit overnight depending on the outside temp and they'll look the bollicks.

And James, you and I are both WAY overdue!

Cheers
nigel

fuzilov
11-12-2007, 12:20 AM
thanks for input will let you all know of decision..

TheSebringOne
11-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Awesome looking car and very clean! :thumbsup:

britlude
11-12-2007, 06:41 PM
i sprayed mine body colour (charlotte green) picked out the ribs and NSX in bright silver, and laquered the lot. at the end of the day you do what you like, it can always be recoloured later!

i did get official red caliper paint, but it came out more raspberry so only did the fronts! repainted them green for j*pfest '07!!!

Senninha
11-12-2007, 08:30 PM
The calipers on Y1 let the car down badly, but I am unsure how hard it will be to do a good job of painting them......I have seen some awful DIY jobs (on S2000's, not NSX's I hasten to add)....so I keep putting it off as 'too difficuly / too scared of cocking it up!'

Any advice on preparation of the calipers prior to paining and best technique to get a good looking/robust finish would be most welcome. Additionally, as Simon says, I think the 'NSX' lettering looks good in silver on satin black calipers. I am sure a little work with a dremel after painting would produce the desired effect, but how do you then seal the exposed metal to stop it corroding?

Hi Ian,

Check out this thread http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=1811 for more info on how I refurbed my calipers last winter. Spent a couple of days to allow the layers of satin paint to dry on the calipers and the pads.

Almost a year on, 6k+ miles and several coats of wonder wheels cleaner and they still look as good as the day I finished them.

It will also give you a chance to get the underside of Y1 as clean as the topside ;)

BTW, I didn't highlight the letters or fins as this would require a laquer coat, usually gloss finish that I didn't want. I also prefer the OEM look.

HTH, regards, Paul

WhyOne?
11-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Nigel, Paul - many thanks for the helpful advice. Once the weather brightens / warms up a little, i'll give it a go.

Oh, Paul....please dont get me started on underneath the car - I've already started cleaning and treating the inside of the wheel-arches. The neighbours are starting to talk!!!!

nigel
12-12-2007, 12:05 AM
By the by, if you paint them red, be sure to first put on several coats of white heat paint first to give them a light coloured base so they will come out red instead of raspberry as britlude experienced.

Cheers
nigel

WhyOne?
12-12-2007, 06:13 AM
Thanks Nigel....but mine most certainly are not going red (or pink for that matter!)