PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty

jaytip
18-12-2007, 06:44 PM
I poped into my local Honda dealership today to enquire about the cost of an extended warranty for my car.There was nobody there to help me at the time so i gave my number and went home.
I had a phone call later in the afternoon telling me that despite calling around for information they were unable to help me??????
Now i know there are members on here with extended Honda warranty's so i am somewhat confused about this.Can any of you guys give me any help please,I.E cost and cover and what requirements were needed in order to attain the warranty.
Cheers,

Ivor.

P.S the factory warranty only expired two months ago and the service history is bang up to date.

Senninha
18-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Ivor,

I would suggest calling Ivan at Chiswick Honda as he retails more than all other dealers combined, many with warranty.

Ivan Ferris - 0208 996 8109

HTH, Paul

jaytip
18-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Cheers Paul,i will give him a ring later in the week.

Ivor.

simonprelude
18-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Alternatively give Dave at Brayley Honda, Hemel Hempstead a ring, mention you know me and this forum and he'll give you a good price.

AR
18-12-2007, 09:48 PM
I would get one for a car as new as yours.

So fancy an in the alloy meet?

Perhaps we can have a little SW meet before the end of the year???

Cheers,

AR

jaytip
19-12-2007, 02:58 AM
I would get one for a car as new as yours.

So fancy an in the alloy meet?

Perhaps we can have a little SW meet before the end of the year???

Cheers,

AR
I'd like to meet up for another gathering but i think it would have to be in the new year.Christmas is the busiest time of the year for us taxi drivers and i will be working through out unfortunately.:(

NoelWatson
19-12-2007, 09:04 AM
I poped into my local Honda dealership today to enquire about the cost of an extended warranty for my car.There was nobody there to help me at the time so i gave my number and went home.
I had a phone call later in the afternoon telling me that despite calling around for information they were unable to help me??????
Now i know there are members on here with extended Honda warranty's so i am somewhat confused about this.Can any of you guys give me any help please,I.E cost and cover and what requirements were needed in order to attain the warranty.
Cheers,

Ivor.

P.S the factory warranty only expired two months ago and the service history is bang up to date.

I paid £1000 to extend my warranty from the standard 12 months to 48 months when I bought my NSX from Chiswick earlier this year

WhyOne?
19-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Alternatively give Dave at Brayley Honda, Hemel Hempstead a ring, mention you know me and this forum and he'll give you a good price.

Sadly, not any more he wont.

He has had his wrists slapped and told not to sell 'out of area' warranties any more. :(

simonprelude
19-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Didn't know that :(

Sadly, not any more he wont.

He has had his wrists slapped and told not to sell 'out of area' warranties any more. :(

Rob_Fenn
19-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Extended warranties from dealers are usually minimum coverage, so in essence are a waste of money. Before you go ahead, be sure to check what is and isn't covered.

The likelihood is someone like Warranty Direct can supply better cover for a cheap price. You will probably have to do some searching as not all companies cover supercars, but there will be a few.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGGL_enGB217GB217&q=car+warranty&btnG=Search&meta=

simonprelude
19-12-2007, 04:08 PM
The Honda full wear and tear warranty is very good, I had light clusters, wheel bearing, boot struts and engine hatch struts replaced. Can't get much better than that.

The struts were not really gone, just occasionally didn't hold, replaced no quibble for new.

jaytip
19-12-2007, 05:00 PM
The Honda full wear and tear warranty is very good, I had light clusters, wheel bearing, boot struts and engine hatch struts replaced. Can't get much better than that.

The struts were not really gone, just occasionally didn't hold, replaced no quibble for new.
Is labour charged on top then Si ? If you don't mind me asking what is the cost of the warranty you have and for what period does it cover?

Cheers,

Ivor.

simonprelude
19-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Yes it covered labour also, it was either HN1 or HN2 and was on the car when I bought it, couldn't renew as car is now 10 years old :(

Is labour charged on top then Si ? If you don't mind me asking what is the cost of the warranty you have and for what period does it cover?

Cheers,

Ivor.

nsx_vtec
21-12-2007, 02:04 AM
Thought i'll add to this thread.

Not the answer ur looking for but........

I use to sell extended warranty for years for both used and new cars knew them inside out and how they can "legally" wiggle they way out of a claim you will be shocked.

Alot of these companies have strict roles and in essence they can fob you off with a million and one answers.

Also alot of work which is coverd is more to do with "good faith" rather than warrany work.

TBH in short its not worth it.

Id rather u put that cost of money to one side.

hth

jaytip
21-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Thought i'll add to this thread.

Not the answer ur looking for but........

I use to sell extended warranty for years for both used and new cars knew them inside out and how they can "legally" wiggle they way out of a claim you will be shocked.

Alot of these companies have strict roles and in essence they can fob you off with a million and one answers.

Also alot of work which is coverd is more to do with "good faith" rather than warrany work.

TBH in short its not worth it.

Id rather u put that cost of money to one side.

hth
You are right it wasn't the answer i wanted to hear but it was a refreshingly honest one and i appreciate that.Lets just hope that regular maintenance will keep it healthy.

Cheers,

Ivor.

TheSebringOne
21-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Touch wood I never extended the warranty after the Honda one ran out! Thanks alot for your honesty, it will be very much appreciated here. :)

NoelWatson
21-12-2007, 01:22 PM
I got the impression that the extended warrantly was Honda backed rather than a third party offering. From what I have read on here noone has complained about the warranty when they have had to make a claim. I consider £1k for 3 years extra cover to be good value - only time will tell if I am correct. Also worth bearing in mind that extended warranty for Porsche/BMW is nearer 1k/year

nsx_vtec
22-12-2007, 11:04 PM
I got the impression that the extended warrantly was Honda backed rather than a third party offering. From what I have read on here noone has complained about the warranty when they have had to make a claim. I consider £1k for 3 years extra cover to be good value - only time will tell if I am correct. Also worth bearing in mind that extended warranty for Porsche/BMW is nearer 1k/year

Correct it is Honda backed when the car is new. However a0s your well aware not all honda dealerships are owned by Honda them self’s in this case some garages may out source warranties not only to save them money and hassle but mostly to pass the initial savings on to the customer in question.

However on a NSX there are not many dearlers who work on them so i assume its honda backed but ultimately its an insurance product with claws.

At the moment i don’t own a NSX (yet) but when i do i would take any free warranty and that’s about it, in essence its not worth it especially when the claim in question has a greater value of the warranty price it self this will mostly come out of the dealer warranty payout scheme. (which is taget driven I acan assure you like everything else)

Now keeping this in mind lets say for example the work carried out on a NSX is at the same cost of working on 6 honda civics and if claims are soaring in at the time the dealer will go for the quantity to keep MORE customer satisfaction especially if they can fob u off with one of the claws and offer you some sort of redemption to maintain your loyalty (at the best).

As bad as it sounds its about money. There in business to make money THEN friends.

HTH.

Ferris Bueller
23-12-2007, 09:54 PM

Noel, Totally agree; I bought the same warranty for my car.

To the O/P. 1k may sound a lot for a warranty but you can't put a price on the goodwill that comes with it. IMO Honda are much more likely to help you out with things if you've bought their warranty. As Simon said above, the wear and tear aspect covers pretty much everything. That 1k buys a lot of peace of mind in my opinion.

WhyOne?
24-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Noel, Totally agree; I bought the same warranty for my car.

To the O/P. 1k may sound a lot for a warranty but you can't put a price on the goodwill that comes with it. IMO Honda are much more likely to help you out with things if you've bought their warranty. As Simon said above, the wear and tear aspect covers pretty much everything. That 1k buys a lot of peace of mind in my opinion.

Absolutely right on all counts!!

I am sure £1k will sound a lot of monay for 3 years warranty to some people....but these will be people who have not been exposed to the price of a BMW M-car warranty (~£1400 for 1 year IIRC!!!!!!!)

I have made 3 or 4 warranty claims on Honda extended warranties - once on the NSX (over £2000 worth of parts / work to sort out failed a/c) and 3 occasions on my S2000. Never had a moments trouble with any of the claims. So whilst extended warranties do have a bad repyutation, I believe that the official Honda backed warranty is one of the better ones out there.

When I recently asked Honda, as a good will gesture to sort out a small area of corrosion around one of the windscreen washer jets on Y1, I pointed out that I had an extended warranty on the car - not sure if this helped, but Honda paid ~£500 for a very high quality bonnet / headlight covers respray when they were obliged to do nothing.

Silver Surfer
24-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Would they give an extended warranty for 91 car??

SS

WhyOne?
24-12-2007, 12:04 PM
No, I dont think so.

Only available on cars up to 7 years old IIRC.

jaytip
24-12-2007, 01:28 PM
OK so i guess this question is aimed at WhyOne and Noel.Where did you purchase your extended warrantys from because my local Honda dealer didn't have a clue how to help me.
Cheers,

Ivor.

NoelWatson
24-12-2007, 07:58 PM
OK so i guess this question is aimed at WhyOne and Noel.Where did you purchase your extended warrantys from because my local Honda dealer didn't have a clue how to help me.
Cheers,

Ivor.

I bought mine when I bought the car from Chiswick. They gave me the wear and tear option which I assume is an optional extra.

WhyOne?
24-12-2007, 08:38 PM

I guess the answer is a competent Honda dealer?!

I just spoke to my friendly service manager (at Geo Collins Honda, Herstmonceaux, W. Sussex), he checked the warranty status of the car and told me how much it would be to extend.