PDA

View Full Version : Interior Trim Refurb

Sudesh
30-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Just wondering has anyone here ever taken out the centre console trim around the radio and AC etc and door trim surrounds and had them repainted. I noticed read that the trims can peel and bubble eventually and some guys on prime re-paint or cover in carbon sticker etc. I was thinking of removing mine and having it painted in a titanium color but just wondering if anyone else has gone down that route?

Here are some pics:

Silver Surfer
30-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Does give it a modern look i must admit....

SS

jaytip
31-12-2007, 12:34 AM
I re-sprayed the centre console and instrument binnacle on my first NSX.
If i were to do it again i would do it a darker silver.

Sudesh
31-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Was it difficult to do the centre trim? What was your technique? Did you peel off the original coating and sand the surface then respray.

jaytip
31-12-2007, 01:01 AM
I just took them both to a body shop and asked them to spray the parts silver for me.I think it was about £50-£60 for the both.

Midnight Blue
31-12-2007, 06:13 AM
was idly flicking through eBay yesterday and there was a company flogging stick on wood trim bits for the NSX. I have to admit I did look just to see how naff it looked......very!

However he was also offering a variety of other finishes. I would assume that the carbon fibre look would also be pretty grim but possibly one of the metal finishes like the brushed aluminium may just brighten up the universal blackness of the standard interior. I would want to see the material and fit of it before I spent money on it though.

Happy New Year

Andy

dan the man
31-12-2007, 07:39 AM
jaytip i see u had the mesh and gearknob changed on your last X too !

jaytip
31-12-2007, 12:53 PM
jaytip i see u had the mesh and gearknob changed on your last X too !
On my last one it was done by the previous owner.On the first one i spent a fortune modding the car only to lose the lot when the car was stolen.I got back what i paid for the car but nothing for "extras"
Makes me very reluctant to change anything on the new one.

dan the man
31-12-2007, 12:56 PM
thtas cars and modding for ya eh

mutley
31-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Well now, this is my forte.

I have re-trimmed my doors, roof lining, A-pillars, and sun visors (all with a red and black theme) but as for the cetre console I have gone for a carbon fibre one from Dali, and I also got the Nav Pod, but i am yet to install that.

Might have it doen for japfest (fingers crossed).
still pondering what to do about the gear knob/gator.

Jim

Rob_Fenn
02-01-2008, 12:43 PM
On my last one it was done by the previous owner.On the first one i spent a fortune modding the car only to lose the lot when the car was stolen.I got back what i paid for the car but nothing for "extras"
Makes me very reluctant to change anything on the new one.

You can get like for like cover... don't let your enjoyment suffer thanks to a scrote!

I quite like the painted trim in the first picture.

Sudesh
31-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Well I've started this project along with some other mods. Anyway the original console and door finish, is turning out to be a pain to strip down. The base is obvilously plastic which then is coated in a foil type layer, then painted! For a new painted finish to look correct it all needs to be stripped back to the bare plastic. The hard part is peeling off the foil layer. On a good run, it comes off in tiny tears/sections, but thats quide hard to keep going. I'm just wondering if there would be an easier method to removing the paint and foil? I'm planning on having a bodyshop do the painting and though it would save time and money if I stripped it down but its not easy by any means.

I'm planning on going with a color similar to this, I'm also painting the speedo panel and I already have the Zanardi/Types shifter.

Senninha
31-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Sudesh,

Its a shame you've started peeling back the foil as the OEM top coat is easily primed and repainted by a good body shop. Unless they can skim and flat it, I think you will need to keep going, piece by small piece :(

Regards, Paul

Sudesh
31-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I took it too a body shop first, and with the bubbling of the original finish in places, they said to achive a factory look, it would be best stripped back to the original ABS plastic. At the moment its certinaly a tedious job, I'm speaking to other professionals about light sand blasting and also Nitric/Nitromors chemical stripping.