PDA

View Full Version : NSX Parts

Marky
17-01-2008, 06:45 PM
My 2003 NSX just failed the MoT as there is condensation in the N/S front headlight. It must have a crack in the perspex. Honda quoted me £1065 to supply and fit a new headlight. Does anyone have a s/hand part or know where I can get hold of one please? :(

AR
17-01-2008, 06:55 PM
I would suggest taking it using a hairdryer to get the moisture out, sealing any edges with clear silicone fitting it all back. Then go for the MOT :) and thats it. Make sure the bulbs are in the right way and not letting misture in.

BTW If it is any consolation, it also happens to the F360M and the Murcielago!

Cheers,

AR

nsx_vtec
17-01-2008, 07:48 PM
im sure im had a mot ticket with fogged up lights.

Then again my mot tester is good family friends :)

Marky
17-01-2008, 10:05 PM
yeah, I've seen lots of supercars with condensation in the front headlights but the chief mechanic at Honda told me that the NSX headlights are made of perspex, not glass, therefore once there is a leak they need replacing as its a sealed unit. He said you can't repair it :(

AR
17-01-2008, 10:28 PM
yeah, I've seen lots of supercars with condensation in the front headlights but the chief mechanic at Honda told me that the NSX headlights are made of perspex, not glass, therefore once there is a leak they need replacing as its a sealed unit. He said you can't repair it :(

Well I am not sure what the other cars are made out off, but I am 100% sure that a hairdryer will get rid of the condensation and allow you to pass MOT. Check the bulb seals, and check for damage, maybe the car suffered a small accident and "cracked it open" just enough for moisture to get in there.

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
17-01-2008, 10:53 PM
.....mechanic at Honda told me that the NSX headlights are made of perspex, not glass, therefore once there is a leak they need replacing as its a sealed unit. He said you can't repair it :(
They can be taken apart as so many of the Prime owners have color coded the internals. Its probably a time consuming job, but my guess is that the perpex will be removeable. You could then clean all surfaces and reseal.

HTH, regards

dan the man
18-01-2008, 02:14 AM
just hairdry it and get back to the MOT. It wont get in the way of the HID anyway if it comes back..my DC5 was always steamed up.

PeteM
18-01-2008, 11:23 AM
I am not sure but it might be possible to drill a small drain hole to allow condensation / water out of the unit.

I know this works well on the rear light clusters and it might also work on the headlight. Certainly a cheaper option !

Pete.

AR
18-01-2008, 11:51 AM
just hairdry it and get back to the MOT. It wont get in the way of the HID anyway if it comes back..my DC5 was always steamed up.

No worries about the light as the 02 plus are not HID. :)

TheQuietOne
18-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Can someone with and NA2 have a look? What colour is your car out of interest, I have heard the Long Beach Blue cars have a tendency to crack their headlights...:D

P.S. Marky - welcome, and don't let Honda steel that much from you just yet! The people on this board will know more than the whole of Honda collectively on the NSX in this country!

nsx_vtec
18-01-2008, 06:37 PM

If thats is the case you will need to get someone to carfully drill a small hole and leave it to dry in frount of a heater on low heat and the mist will dry up re-seal the hole and bobs ur uncle.

NSXGB
18-01-2008, 07:45 PM
If thats is the case you will need to get someone to carfully drill a small hole and leave it to dry in frount of a heater on low heat and the mist will dry up re-seal the hole and bobs ur uncle.

....don't think it's as easy as that. If I heard right, you have to remove the bumper to remove the headlight housing (someone confirm?), if that is the case, removal of the bulb and hairdryer is the best start, as someone has suggested already.

If you are going to remove the headlight to disassemble, it would be worth doing a search on Prime as there have been quite a few members on there who have painted the inside of the lights the same as their car....so there must be a 'how to' somewhere on there...

NSXGB
18-01-2008, 07:50 PM
....this thread might help you:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90380

nigel
19-01-2008, 02:36 AM
Don't let the lads at Honda B.S. you. Listen to AR and use the hair dryer to get it sorted. After the MOT pass as was said, disassemble it and while it's apart do like the rest and paint match. Absloutely no reason to spend that kind of money when you can seal it with 100% silicon seal. It's what we use on aircraft windscreens and it's the business.

Cheers
nigel

TheSebringOne
19-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Nigel, Aircraft windscreen!?! :eek: Are you sure its strong enough to cope with fast flowing air and pressure!

nigel
19-01-2008, 08:43 PM
You bet, been using 100% silicon sealer for years on non-presurized twins. It does great for sealing the moisture out ands is a damn good glue that's removable. The commercial industry uses a compound similar to it called Pro-Seal that's a two part, non-hardning sealer that just has all the stamps and numbers to keep the Commitee Against Aviation, (CAA) and the FAA happy. They are both easily removable with a razor blade and patience.

Cheers
nigel

dan the man
19-01-2008, 09:26 PM
No worries about the light as the 02 plus are not HID. :)

HID XENON

same sh1t !!

lol

AR
20-01-2008, 10:02 AM
HID XENON

same sh1t !!

lol

Yes they are not, they are regular bulbs!!!

dan the man
20-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Hang on u mean facelifts are just normal projector headlight types?

AR
20-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Hang on u mean facelifts are just normal projector headlight types?

In the UK yes, as headlight washers are a requirement for HID equiped vehicles in the UK.

Cheers,

AR

TheSebringOne
21-01-2008, 12:53 AM
I thought there was no jet washers on the 02+ fixed head lamps? What does HIDs mean? Sorry if I've asked before?

AR
21-01-2008, 01:50 AM
I thought there was no jet washers on the 02+ fixed head lamps? What does HIDs mean? Sorry if I've asked before?

You are right, that is why they ( 02 + ) have normal Halogens, not HID ( High Intensity Discharge ) or Xenon lights.

Cheers,

AR

Rob_Fenn
21-01-2008, 08:53 AM
As people have been saying it's not true that you can't fix it. As Nigel says, you should take them apart and use a better sealant.

It is a problem on my VX220, all lights do it. The Aston DB7 solved the problem by routing the air conditioning down there!

Marky
21-01-2008, 11:00 PM
wow! everyone has been so helpful, what an amazing forum. Fortunately and unfortunately I hit a motorbike a couple of months ago so the front bumper was replaced and so was one of the headlights. I called the bodyshop and explained that the seal was broken and they're going to replace it under the insurance :)

You're going to love this part though... when they replaced the front bumper they had to respray the wings to blend the panels they couldn't match it up, so they ended up spraying the whole car!! They said it was a pearlescent colour (long beach blue) and it was very hard to match up.... let that be a warning :(

Anyway, the car now looks like new, not that it looked old as its a 2003 model