PDA

View Full Version : Cam belt service ??

simonprelude
24-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Anyone that's had a cam belt service recently, how much did you pay.

Am getting some scary quotes for labour :(

I have requested all belts be changes as well as water pump, spark plugs and valve clearances.

NSXGB
24-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Had similar service to that but + fitting new headers and paid a bit over £700 (labour only). That was at Yeomans in Worthing, but would not recommend going there.

It was completed within a day, so that blows out their estimated job times, so make sure you haggle...

nsx_vtec
24-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Had similar service to that but + fitting new headers and paid a bit over £700 (labour only). That was at Yeomans in Worthing, but would not recommend going there.

It was completed within a day, so that blows out their estimated job times, so make sure you haggle...

Did they do the valve clearences on the same day?

Steveycaz
24-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I had mine done at Chiswick in October. Went for a F service (I think!) = full service + cambelt - valve clearances. Cost £800. Water pump was checked but ok and only done 12000 miles.

Greybloke
24-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Simon
Norton Way did mine last May at the time of a full service at the following cost:

Labour £360, Belt £104 all plus VAT so about £550 all in:)

I asked them to keep the old belt, which still looked mint to me.

NSXGB
25-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Did they do the valve clearences on the same day?

Yes.
Car was dropped off the evening before so the motor would have cooled down for them to start the next morning....I phoned them at around 4pm and they'd finished.

BTW, if it makes any difference they changed the WP as well.

Papalazarou
25-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Last years price in the south-west where servicing is cheap! It was just over £400.00 for the cambelt 'part' of the service. That was a Howards Taunton or the dealer at Cribbs.

Cheers,

James.

simonprelude
25-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Just waiting for another quote to come back, but this is it so far.........

Labour only figure £719.10 inc vat.

Steveycaz
25-01-2008, 09:47 AM
btw mine included Sparks in the £800...

TheQuietOne
25-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Simon,

HTH - plus I provided the belts and water pump from Dali. The 10% off the final figure was the NSXCB discount I got from Norton Way. I probably could have provided more and saved on the parts (sparks) but I ran out of time getting it all together!

In essence labour came in at £468 including 0.75 to fit the water pump, pretty good I reckon!

Speak soon.

WhyOne?
01-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Picked Y1 up yesterday evening after its 'big' service.

Main service items were:

Cambelt replacement.
Tensioner replacement (I provided the tensioner - as it turned out, the original was actually tickety-boo)
Plug replacement (I supplied the plugs)
Check & adjust valve clearances.
Transmission oil change.
Engine oil / filter change.

Total cost paid to Geo-Collins honda, Herstmonceux, who had the car for 3 days so they didn't have to rush anything, was £700, which I think was pretty reasonable all considered.

They also gave the car a good check over & declared it 'perfect' :)

Senninha
01-08-2008, 09:20 AM
They also gave the car a good check over & declared it 'perfect' :)
Surely this doesn't cover the nut 'behind' the wheel ;):D

WhyOne?
01-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Surely this doesn't cover the nut 'behind' the wheel ;):D

No, thankfully they didn't give me the once-over, so the car wasn't blighted!

Triple7
01-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Good to hear Ian

WhyOne?
01-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Gaz!

Welcome to the forum!

:)

Sudesh
01-08-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm looking into doing the belt change also and was pricing about. One dealer quoted me £700 which included the belt. Just waiting for other qutes.

Is it necessary to replace the water pump at the same time? and is there anything else that would need done?

Triple7
01-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi-yah! :)

TheSebringOne
01-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Y1 that looks like excellant value, is the Honda garage near you down in West Sussex? The price includes parts & labour, bar the tensioner that is? :)

WhyOne?
02-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Geo Collins Honda are by no means the closest Honda garage to me, but they are that very rare thing - a family owned and run concern & it shows - levels of customer service & standards of work are very high indeed. They looked after my S2000 for 5 years before I bought Y1, and I have never had cause for concern or complaint, indeed Peter Collins, the service manager, has on a number of occasions helped me out when there was no obligation to do so on his part. He is a very nice bloke, extremely knowledgable, who always finds time for a chat. So, given the troubles some people have with their service depts. (and my experiences at Trident, Weybridge) I feel very fortunate to have found such a reliable, honest garage.

As for the Cambelt servoce on Y1 - I provided the tensioner and plugs (something I wouldnt normally do, but on this occasion I needed to keep costs down a little) bought from Mark at Dali, other parts / consumables, were provided by Geo Collins.

rsevo6
02-08-2008, 07:25 AM
You guys are getting it done quite cheap I must say.

Here in The Netherlands, it is very difficult to find a garage with experience changing the cambelt on a NSX (as there are only just about 40 NSX in the country).

When I planned the cambelt change on my old '98 just over a year ago, I got a quote of about 1200 E (about 975 UKp) for just the cambelt change and the needed materials (no waterpump/valve adjustment/plugs).

I ended up having it done at a one owner operated garage (the guy owns a NSX himself and has been a Honda mechanic for a long time). We did the work together me helping him, took us most of 1 full day to do it.
Total cost this way was about 900 E (about 700 UKp) for cambelt change/valve check/fuelfilter change and all needed materials.

nigel
02-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Simon, be sure to have both your H2O pump AND the idler pully changed as well while the engine is opened up and the belts are being changed. They both may look ok from the outside but you can't see the inner workings until they fail.
I had an idler pully bearing failure on one of my Preludes and it smoked the cam belt because of that.
Just lucky it didn't take out the engine. (non-interference engine)
It's cheap insurance and you won't have to worry for a very long time there after. They just don't cost enough to NOT change them.

Cheers
nigel