PDA

View Full Version : Groaning noises from rear when turning.

Low Flyer
03-02-2008, 07:12 PM
When turning at low speed, either in reverse or forward, I get a groaning--almost graunching, noise from the rear. I have checked the brakes, etc., and sprayed all joints and bushes with "Duck Oil" but without relief.
I have had various "experts", including the local Honda service-manager ride with me, but none can identify the cause. However, my good friend, Neil Foreman of "Car Builders' Solutions" today informs me that Honda differentials are known for this !!! His wife's CRV has had this problem. The solution is to drain the transmission; refill and run for a few miles; then drain again, and refill.
Does anybody have any ideas on this?

NSXGB
03-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Had that noise on another car I owned with a LSD. The noise it made was quite disturbing, but a simple change of fluid cured it to my amazement.
Flushing the fluid is definitely the best place to start....

britlude
03-02-2008, 08:00 PM
i'd go with Neil's advice, he's been playing with cars long enough to have come across most things! it's wouldn't hurt to give the trans oil a change anyway!

Low Flyer
08-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Gentlemen, thank you for your advice and encouragement. I have duly changed the transmission oil----whatever happened to the good old-fashioned word, "gearbox" ?, and have to say that the groaning noise in a slow turn has stopped. Is this really the cure ? I shall do about one hundred miles, then change it again, as I had bought five litres of Honda's MTF from the local dealer-Horizon out of their mega tank. The second change is recommended by Neil Foreman. The "flushing" oil will be used in my replica Ferrari P4 Renault transaxle which wears out seals in a thoudand miles.
I shall report further when I do the second change. J.C.

Low Flyer
08-02-2008, 10:15 AM
A thought; as my car has yet to complete 30,000 miles, does this mean that the transmission oil should be changed much earlier than this, as instructed in the maintenance manual ? J.C.

NSXGB
08-02-2008, 10:59 AM
There is a stipulation on time as well as mileage I should think....
Maybe if it has been changed before, the wrong fluid was put in???

Low Flyer
12-02-2008, 08:58 PM
I have now flushed the oil from the transmission and refilled, and, the "noises" have disappeared.
The "Service Book" actually stipulates a change at 36,000 miles !! Not thirty thousand as I had read from the American workshop manual. There is no mention about there being a time consideration, as indeed, I would have expected.
Moral of the saga is to change transmission oil every 25-27,000 miles; or, six or seven years. J.C.