PDA

View Full Version : Battery?

Minch
08-02-2008, 05:51 PM
I know this has sort of been covered on a couple of threads but I just wanted to ask the question a fresh . . .

Which replacement battery should I get?

Either a Heavy old Prelude one? (005L)

or

Lighweight lawnmower type one (sealed?)

I know people who have used these lightweight batteries on bikes but never on cars. Are they any goodfor everyday use or are they better suited for track situations? i.e. when not using stereo, air con etc.

Any comments would be appreciated as my current battery won't hold a charge.

Cheers
Nathan

dan the man
08-02-2008, 07:24 PM
not sure how much beef a NSX needs..

DC5 boys use nissan micra batteries and seem to do the job. not too big etc

TheSebringOne
08-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Check whats recommended in the driver's manual. I went for the largest battery that could fit in the tray & under the fan/blower system. Since I believe having the largest CCA (cold cranking amps) to turn the large engine and with battery in the front and starter/engine in the rear.

The larger AH (amps hour) means discharge takes longer or hold charge longer, so means less hassle. If you go for the sealed racing types, they are compact and primary brought for lightness, but if you keep it charged regulary or drive your car regulary, then this could be an option. As I drive my every 2 to 3 weeks at present, the larger the better!

WhyOne?
09-02-2008, 09:35 AM
I went for the 005L battery - heavy I know, but lots of ooompf (I went for the heavy duty version!) ...and at least the battery is nice and low down in the NSX.

nigel
09-02-2008, 07:46 PM
What the lads said!

Cheers
nigel

Senninha
09-02-2008, 11:26 PM
When I spoke to Kevin about the smaller / lighter option as he has fitted, I beleive he has already killed one off through low use and need to recharge.

I've currently got the std style battery and have just installed the wiring for the trickle charger so hopefully wont be thinking about for a while :)

regards, Paul

AR
09-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Bigger is better, is like:

Double your pleasure, double your fun,
With Doublemint, Doublemint, chewing gum!

Steveycaz
10-02-2008, 10:17 AM
I went for the standard Halfords one - £70 I think. Might be a bit onthe heavy side but I have removed the spare wheel holder and have a lightweght aftermarket exhaust so I'm not that bovverd! Been working fine for a year now.

dan the man
10-02-2008, 10:21 AM
What the lads said!

Cheers
nigel

post of the year!

lmao

TheSebringOne
10-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Too much garlic Ary!? :D

Like Paul, I also use a trickle charger to feed in another charge to cover the alarm & immobiliser. Trickle means no damaging cells by over heating and only 15 squids from Draper!

AR
10-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Too much garlic Ary!? :D

Like Paul, I also use a trickle charger to feed in another charge to cover the alarm & immobiliser. Trickle means no damaging cells by over heating and only 15 squids from Draper!

I love garlic!

Minch
11-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Cheers guys . . . 005L it is then!

madras
12-02-2008, 09:02 AM
i just put an 005 Bosch Silver from eurocarparts in. £80 i think.

Minch
15-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Just got myself one through a 'Man in the know' for £46 . . . result!

Minch
20-02-2008, 10:05 AM
What a pain in the arse to change!

2x jacks and definitely need two people to put it back. Still need to get it up on a ramp to put the bracket back properly!

WhyOne?
20-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Eh???

How so?

I know the battery is a little less accesible than on a 'normal' car, but when I swapped mine out it was a 10 min. job - remove the spare wheel bracket, remove the spare wheel, unscrew 2 bolts from the battery bracket, loosen terminals, remove knackered battery, put in spangly new one and 'Robert's your relative'!

simonprelude
20-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Sounds like it was removed from underneath ??

Eh???

How so?

I know the battery is a little less accesible than on a 'normal' car, but when I swapped mine out it was a 10 min. job - remove the spare wheel bracket, remove the spare wheel, unscrew 2 bolts from the battery bracket, loosen terminals, remove knackered battery, put in spangly new one and 'Robert's your relative'!

WhyOne?
20-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Sounds like it was removed from underneath ??

Why would you want to do that?

TheSebringOne
22-02-2008, 04:37 PM
What:eek: Two jacks, two people and a ramp to change a battery!?

Me did myself, just need patience & swear in silence when undoing those two nut on the two L hooks ! Thats Why I brought trickle charger for Winter! :D

Senninha
22-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Why would you want to do that?
someone should let your mechanic know that the spare wheel and brace are removable :)