PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguisher

AR
12-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Have you got one in the NSX? Is it mounted? What type?

Cheers,

AR

markc
12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
After seeing the burned out mess of Dale's old car (NSX 1) :( Yes, I have a fire extinguisher.

I've got a 2Kg powder extinguisher purchased from Halfords.

Mounted on the Dali mount... http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=95

You'd hardly know it was there, particularly if you're not tall and therefore have the seat reasonably far forward.

Cheers

Mark

AR
12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
What powder is it?

I feel a bit aprehensive knowing what it could do, but Halon is no longer refillable and FM is not available here.

Cheers,

AR

PS Maybe I'll just carry a big box of Baking Soda in the boot!

amo
12-02-2008, 09:17 PM
got a foam 1 sits bhind the passinger seat

thx amo

AR
12-02-2008, 09:28 PM
got a foam 1 sits bhind the passinger seat

thx amo

Amo,

But think of the damage the water in the foam will cause too.

I know AFFF is fantastic for fuel fires as it seals the vapors, but water and computers, might not mix too well!

Cheers,

AR

simonprelude
12-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Got a few Honda powder ones and a motorsport powder one.

markc
12-02-2008, 10:05 PM
AR, They call them "ABC" powder extinguishers where A,B and C are types of fire.

A = carbonaceous fires
B = flammable liquid fires
C = flammable gas fires

"ABC powder is a combination of Mono-ammonium phosphate and ammonium sulphate. The extinguishing mechanism being that it interferes with the chemical reactions that take place in the combustion zone, thus the flame ceases to exist. The powder also has a low melting point and on application the particles fuse and swell to form a barrier which excludes oxygen and completes the extinguishing process and prevents re-ignition.

The powder is non conductive and may be used in the presence of an electric current."

Try here... http://www.ukfire.co.uk/shares/extinguishers/doc22.pdf

Mark

amo
12-02-2008, 10:27 PM
but powder is crap on fuel yes?
so foam should be the best 1

thx amo

Senninha
12-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Got a few Honda powder ones and a motorsport powder one.

From Honda I presume? Are these all in use or are you selling?

regards. Paul

Kevin
13-02-2008, 07:50 AM
I got one, some track days need to have one. It fits in the centre console box.

AR
13-02-2008, 09:16 AM
AR, They call them "ABC" powder extinguishers where A,B and C are types of fire.

A = carbonaceous fires
B = flammable liquid fires
C = flammable gas fires

"ABC powder is a combination of Mono-ammonium phosphate and ammonium sulphate. The extinguishing mechanism being that it interferes with the chemical reactions that take place in the combustion zone, thus the flame ceases to exist. The powder also has a low melting point and on application the particles fuse and swell to form a barrier which excludes oxygen and completes the extinguishing process and prevents re-ignition.

The powder is non conductive and may be used in the presence of an electric current."

Try here... http://www.ukfire.co.uk/shares/extinguishers/doc22.pdf

Mark

That is the problem Mark, most ABC extinguishers have corrosive powders.

As for the fuel part Amo, powder forms a crust on top of the fuel.

I am starting to lean towards getting an FM-200 from a boat in case of an engine/cockpit fire. I know that it will not cool off the fire as it works on the uninhibited chain reaction side of the fire tetrahedron. If the fire is that big I can't fight it with a handheld, then is a bit too late!

Cheers,

AR

simonprelude
13-02-2008, 09:24 AM
I can probably find a spare, in fact there are 2 on my kitchen windowsill.
They have no gauge on them and expire in 2010.
Are a carbon effect and have typeR in large red lettering on them.

Just like this one.....

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=50308

From Honda I presume? Are these all in use or are you selling?

regards. Paul

lotusolly
14-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Just something to consider
A friend had a fire under the dashboard of his vectra. Being an electrician, the first thing he did was disconnect the battery to eliminate the cause. The fire had damaged the complete dashboard, wiring loom and some slight paint damage to the bulkhead. Because of his quick thinking he managed to stop the fire but the insurance company would not then payout because they classed it as maintenance and not a total loss!!
I doubt wether anyone would want to sit back and lose their P&J but by putting out the fire you may end up facing the bill rather than the insurance company and I hate to think what that repair would cost on a NSX!!

Olly

Senninha
14-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Simon,

Can only see red x's. Any chance you can post photos. Let me know if you find a spare.

regards, Paul

I can probably find a spare, in fact there are 2 on my kitchen windowsill.
They have no gauge on them and expire in 2010.
Are a carbon effect and have typeR in large red lettering on them.

Just like this one.....

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=50308

simonprelude
15-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Yes I've got a couple of spares.

Simon,

Can only see red x's. Any chance you can post photos. Let me know if you find a spare.

regards, Paul

Senninha
16-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Thanx Simon,

What is actual size of this Simon? If ones available I'll take it please. I've got the Dali holder coming over on the GB shipment.

regards, Paul