PDA

View Full Version : Engine Tourque Damper - Group Buy?

NSXGB
19-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Anyone else ever thought of fitting one?

I like the thinking behind them and they are supposed to be very good on FWD cars. There are a few companies that make them. I was looking at the GT-One which is $399+ shipping. Then found one similar by DME-Power, almost identical for $299.

I've been in touch with SP-Engineering who sell the DME ETD and they said they could supply me one for $282 shipped.

Firstly, any comments on the functionality of said component.

Secondly, would anyone be interested on a group buy? (I have just mailed him to ask about a group buy deal).

Pics:
GT-One ETD

DME Power

Spiel...lifted from GT-One's web site:

What it is and what it does:
An engine dampener is a small shock absorber that mounts to the engine and top section of the chassis. It reduces engine movement with some other benefits below:

- Improves (smoother) Shifting
- Reduces wear on the exhaust system joints from engine movement
- Reduces wheel hop (I will try this myself on the track in 2-3 weeks)
- Improved your car stability

amo
19-02-2008, 10:42 PM
looked at these last year just never got around to gettin 1

looks good

thx amo

mart155
19-02-2008, 11:03 PM
That's interesting. I get a lot of vibration on tickover.
I wonder if this would cure it.

AR
19-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Useless on the NSX due to the the way it is mounted in relation to the axis of the engine.

TheSebringOne
19-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Ary, I thought similar. Why would you need one (maybe a bit gimmicky or a visual thing to show off the engine?). I'm not sure if this has discussed here before and whether anyone here brought one?

AR
19-02-2008, 11:35 PM
It has been discussed Ad nauseam on Prime and everyone points out the same. Solid motor mounts would be better, but the force will only go somewhere else on the drive.

NSXGB
21-02-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm still not totally convinced or discouraged about buying one.

Useless on the NSX due to the the way it is mounted in relation to the axis of the engine

I thought the same about the way it was mounted initially. However, I believe the ETD will still reduce unwanted engine rotation, obviously depending on how srong the brackets are. I agree that it would potentially work better if mounted perpendicular to the forces you are trying to limit and not rely on the strength/flex in the brackets so much in it's design.

It has been discussed Ad nauseam on Prime and everyone points out the same. Solid motor mounts would be better, but the force will only go somewhere else on the drive.

I think solid mounts would help even more but you will still get a certain amount of top rotation of the engine which could potentially be reduced further with the ETD.
A problem with solid motor mounts is the vibration then transferred to the body of the car, making it uncomfortable if your car is a daily driver.

The force is intended to go elsewhere on the drive, that's the point...

britlude
21-02-2008, 04:42 PM
same principle as the tie bar at the top of a mini engine, helps support it against torque rotation. I suspect it's at that angle as there's nowhere else to get a decent chassis mounting. it would probably be better than nothing, but is more of a damper than a tie bar..

Senninha
22-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Simon,

Just stumbled on this discussion so may be of interest ...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99832

I'm not sure either way with this idea for the NSX ..

regards, Paul

Sudesh
22-02-2008, 12:17 PM
I probably dont need this, but like how it looks so I would be in for one!!

NSXGB
23-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Cheers for the link Paul.

I guess there is one way to find out...When I have a few ££ buning a hole...