PDA

View Full Version : Handling issues with New Tyres

Monaco92
02-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I've recently had goodyear eagles f1 gsd3's on the rear .
After driving it "around 70mph" the rear feels as if its wandering from side to side. Feels as if its loose. The new tyres have only done about 40miles. I've since had the 4wheel allignment done but not had any effect.
Anyone got any ideas.:(

dan the man
02-03-2008, 07:10 PM
soft sidewalls.

Ive said it before and said it again u cant beat back to basics OEMs. Bridgestones always have solid walls, great for precision and NO slop.

Same on DC5s and CTRs but the amount of people who rate toyos and goodyears amazes me !

Monaco92
02-03-2008, 07:30 PM
I think i may have made the wrong choice and wasted £300 .
However the dealer did say I have to take it easy for the first few hundred miles.
Do you think they may improve?

PeteM
02-03-2008, 08:33 PM
A couple of years ago I bought a set of nearly new tyres from a friend for my Prelude to use on trackdays. I ended up buying a dedicated car for track days that used a different size, so I decided to fit the tyres to the prelude and use them on the road.

Well at first when I fitted them I would describe the handling of the car as entertaining to say the least. It wasn't until i had worn a quite considerable amount of tread off the tyre that the cars handling actually improved.

In my experiance different tyres behave differently from "new" but all require some degree of wear before they settle down. A lot of people on this forum and other car forums swear by F1's so I would personally give them a bit more mileage to bed in. It won't take that long with the Nsx's appetite for tyres. :)

Senninha
02-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I think i may have made the wrong choice and wasted £300 ................Do you think they may improve?

Relax, dont worry and no, you haven't IMO wasted £300. Like many here I'm running these tyres at 17" all round. They do take around 500 miles to come to life, but once bedded in you should enjoy them wet or dry. I'm now 7k miles into these with no excessive wear.

2 things to consider for you ... what tyres have you on the front as this may exagerate the difference performance characteristics (as per Dans comments above) of the f2r and secondly, I'm quite expecting the performance of thse tyres to go 'off' when they do get down to only a couple of mills ..

HTH

Regards, Paul

goldnsx
02-03-2008, 09:48 PM
F1 GS-D3 have STIFF sidewalls, not exactly as stiff as the OEM Bridgestone but a lot stiffer than Michelin, Conti, Pirelli and most other brands.

40 miles are nothing for new tires. Give them more time to get a good grip. I've new F1 on my rear too and after about 200 km they feel like a hell of a tire. :)

AR
02-03-2008, 09:58 PM
My NSX feels better with my Avons than with my expensive F1 GSD3s, why, less than 200 miles on them, that's why!

But with this weather I'll rather have a predictable outcome, oh BTW I did not run out of tyres on the run!

Monaco92
02-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys I feel bit better now. I'm gonna take it steady for the next month or two. BTW i have oem dunlops on the front.

TheSebringOne
02-03-2008, 11:56 PM
I posted exactly the same thread in February! (gone up to 255) Keep me posted to see how you get on and see if grip, ride and feel improves when weared in more. I've only covered less than 25 miles in them since change, so hopefully as Paul states they will improve with use. :) Also I don't think the walls will be as stiff as oems BS RE010 or Dunlops SP8050s, but you can't get em now!! :( You can get oems Yokos, but useless in the rain and £200 each now!

dan the man
03-03-2008, 07:40 AM
with more milage more tread height comes off and you get used to the feel also so yes in time u will feel they are ok :)

simonprelude
03-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Pretty much my experience of the GS-D3's I think they either suit your driving style or they don't.

The RE040/050 combination is pretty much true to the RE010's, that's why I bought a few spares :)

TheSebringOne
04-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I will give them time to wear and hopefully they will prove me wrong! but think I should have got REO40s for the rears, but lets see! :( :)

simonprelude
04-03-2008, 03:36 PM
RE050's for the rear, RE040's for the front ;)

I will give them time to wear and hopefully they will prove me wrong! but think I should have got REO40s for the rears, but lets see! :( :)

BabyG
04-03-2008, 04:04 PM
RE040/50s fitted on Saturday, very impressed straight out of the box and they're only going to get better. They'll be 1500 miles old in a couple of weeks, nearly time for some new ones :-)

Monaco92
04-03-2008, 04:06 PM
RE050 or RE050A ?

TheSebringOne
04-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Simon, just checking you're alert! Your'e right its REO40s fronts & REO50s rears, but arent' the 02+ REO40DZ NSX?

Think its REO50 rather than REO50A? Not sure if its different from 245s to 255s?

simonprelude
05-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Checked mine last night I have the RE050 (E050BZ) on the rear in OEM (16/17) size.

Steveycaz
05-03-2008, 12:26 PM
I had the same problem (on my NA1 so small wheels!) when I went to non-OEM tyres. Basically the recommended pressure is way too much for non OEM tyres. The book says 36psi front and 40psi rear (I think!). This caused my Avon's to wobble all over the place. I now run them 33/36 and it's straight as a die!

Monaco92
05-03-2008, 08:10 PM
I had the same problem (on my NA1 so small wheels!) when I went to non-OEM tyres. Basically the recommended pressure is way too much for non OEM tyres. The book says 36psi front and 40psi rear (I think!). This caused my Avon's to wobble all over the place. I now run them 33/36 and it's straight as a die!

Thats a good point i'll try running less pressure in rears and see if it makes a difference .

Nick Graves
08-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Tried both the RE050 & 50As on my S2000. Love the former; hate the soggy-sidewalled latter. Some user ca put up with the GSD3s; as a passenger, they seem too floaty to me.

Hondas only seem to work on very stiff-sidewalled 'Stones or Dunlops.

Got some Dunlop SP Sport Fast Responses on the Civic VTi; they are very stiff, asymmetric for excellent wet driving and the lane-change thing at high speed is impressive. Their "vorbildlich" (exemplary) rating in German tyre test seems not overstated.

I'd certainly recommend having a punt at the Dunlop range, based upon that.

Monaco92
08-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Tried both the RE050 & 50As on my S2000. Love the former; hate the soggy-sidewalled latter. Some user ca put up with the GSD3s; as a passenger, they seem too floaty to me.

Got some Dunlop SP Sport Fast Responses on the Civic VTi; they are very stiff, asymmetric for excellent wet driving and the lane-change thing at high speed is impressive. Their "vorbildlich" (exemplary) rating in German tyre test seems not overstated.

I'd certainly recommend having a punt at the Dunlop range, based upon that.

Just checked the Dunlop site regarding the fast response tyres but they dont seem to make these tyres in 255/40/17 sizes. Sound interesting though.

dan the man
09-03-2008, 11:29 AM

yeah thats sums it up. some cars suit soft but honda cars dont imo..

goldnsx
09-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Every car seems to improve with stiffer tires...at first because they reveal faster steering response. BUT this has nothing to do with HOW MUCH GRIP the tire on the car shows. In the case of the F1 GS-D3 it's very obviously if you change your worn out tires to them as their profile 'absorbs' some of the steering response as long as you've about > 6 mm thread on them. But the grip level is on the level of the highest but they're called to last longer than the Bridgestones.

I agree that NSX's love stiff sidewalls but you can drive them with tires whose sidewall is slightly less stiff as fast as with the B'stones. Again, F1-GS-D3 has stiff sidewalls, the thread depth of them newly mounted is the problem, at first.

Monaco92
14-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Just to give an update. I've now done just under a thousand miles on the F1's. Under hard acceration in third/fourth gear the rear feels as if its fishtailing. Enough to s**t you up at those speeds.
I've tried 36psi and 40psi pressures but no real effect was noticed.:(

I can get a set of BS re040dznsx for the rear but I wonder what they will be like. anyone got any thoughts:unsure:

Papalazarou
14-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Just to give an update. I've now done just under a thousand miles on the F1's. Under hard acceration in third/fourth gear the rear feels as if its fishtailing. Enough to s**t you up at those speeds.
I've tried 36psi and 40psi pressures but no real effect was noticed.:(

I can get a set of BS re040dznsx for the rear but I wonder what they will be like. anyone got any thoughts:unsure:

I run mine at 32/38 and it's awesome. 36 in the front sounds like a lot. 40 in the rear sounds ok but 32/38 dials out the edgyness for me.

Squirm baby-squirm!!

Cheers,

James.

Monaco92
14-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Sorry, I meant to say I ran the rears at 40psi standard pressures then tried them at 36psi but there was no improvement in their directional stability.

I ran the fronts at 33psi and 31psi but this just made the steering a little heavier.

Senninha
14-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Monaco92,

I'm confused as to why you would be having such problems with the F1's on your NSX. I've been running these for 8k+ miles and apart from the initial 500 or so miles whilst they were degreasing, I've had none of the problems you mention.

Q: when was you geometry last checked? Is your car set to OEM settings? Many owners have reset the geometry to extend tire life. My car had these settings before I switched to the 17's and F1's. IMO, it kills the handling and feel of the car and does feel how you describe the handling of your car.

As for tyre pressures, I've run them as per the door jam stickers.

HTH, regards Paul

Monaco92
14-04-2008, 09:03 PM
I've had the 4 wheel alignment done recently to oem settings. I will try and post the settings tomorrow.

Monaco92
15-04-2008, 04:57 PM
This is the printout for the new settings.

Papalazarou
03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
After my last post, I had some RE050A's fitted to the rear and at the moment it's a handling nightmare! The tracking's right and with the previous RE040's on the rear the car felt fantastic. Not sure whether to wait it out and see whether the handling improves or get some RE050's for the front to try to even things up a bit. Don't really want to do JF with dodgy handling!

I personally blame Bridgestone for changing tyres specs every 5 seconds. Bring back RE010's. Now that was a great tyre.

Cheers,

James.

Monaco92
03-05-2008, 08:26 PM
After all the issues I had fitting the gy eagle f1's. I decided to return to oem tyres. I did a LOT of phoning and searching on the net & I finally found some BS re040's at Two Mills Honda. Got them fitted and immediatley the car felt planted at the rear no more wobbling and weaving.

I came home and while some more searching I found a company in essex (ELITE) had a full set of the re040's for the nsx. So now I have a spare set.
BTW out of interest I compared the side walls by puting my hand inside the rim and moving up and down. I found with a little force the F1's sidewalls flexed by about 1/4 inch pretty normal really. But with much greater force the 040's sidewalls just didnot flex.

I think in my case having oem tyres on the front exacerbated the F1's flexing. It would have been better to have the same tyres front and rear.

simonprelude
04-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I think this points to the 'usefullness' of group tyre tests.
I am running RE040's front RE050's rear on 16/17 and they feel just like the RE010HO, James tries the same on 17/17 and has completely different experience.

Just a quick check, what are the speed and load ratings on your tyres ??

It makes a BIG difference, also what specification are the tyres, I am using the BZ's (ie OEM Mercedes fitment) as different designations refer to different compounds.

Bridgestone always said that only ES02JZ's were to be used on the S2000 even though the OEM size was available in different designations, then they recommended the RE050 which was then not embraced by the S2ki community. On the 17/17 combo of the 2004+ S2000 Honda went for RE050MZ as OEM fitment, supply issues have now meant Bridgestone recommend the Alfa Romeo OEM fitment tyre for the front with the MZ on the rear.

How confusing can you get ??

After my last post, I had some RE050A's fitted to the rear and at the moment it's a handling nightmare! The tracking's right and with the previous RE040's on the rear the car felt fantastic. Not sure whether to wait it out and see whether the handling improves or get some RE050's for the front to try to even things up a bit. Don't really want to do JF with dodgy handling!

I personally blame Bridgestone for changing tyres specs every 5 seconds. Bring back RE010's. Now that was a great tyre.

Cheers,

James.

Papalazarou
04-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Simon, the rears are Y rated and to my eyes look completely different to the 040's they replaced. The invoice says RE 050 94Y.

Cheers,

James.