PDA

View Full Version : NSX on Piston Heads

BlueNSX
07-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Looking to buy this

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/344153.htm

Does anyone know any issues with this car e.g Cat D etc. What is current market value?

Many Thanks

simonprelude
07-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Price looks a bit high, but it looks in good condition so could be merited.

I don't like the interior or the Hammerite style Targa panel, the latter I would imagine could be resolved easily but the interior is a taste thing I guess.

AR
07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Too dear,

1995 heavy car with not much power and EPS.

Either go for a 1993 non EPS and below or 1997 ( 3.2 ) upwards.

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
07-03-2008, 02:02 PM
As Simon says, interior will be a yes/no decision for you only. I would want to have the targa panel refinished to match the bodywork and would ditch the 'Nova' exhaust in favour of the OEM item.

Check the history, it states it is comprehensive. Ensure jobs have been completed on age as well as mileage, ie cambelts / coolants etc.

I chose the Targa and wouldn't have it any other way. Price seems a little steep but if its as good as it says it may be warranted. The last manual Targa sold was Mr Spanners http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=3860 Have a look for comparison and price negotiation.

Condition and history sell clean NSX's. If you want it, then you may not wish to delay at least having a look. Chiswick Honda will always do a full inspection (at your cost) if you want a peace of mind check.

HTH, Paul

Martin
07-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Too dear,

1995 heavy car with not much power and EPS.

Either go for a 1993 non EPS and below or 1997 ( 3.2 ) upwards.

Cheers,

AR

??

95/96 cars only slightly heavier than 91-94's due to power steering, because 91-94's don't have power steering.

However on the plus side, 95/96's have shorter gearing than 91-94's, which will more than compensate in acceleration terms for slight weight increase, so don't be put off by Ary's comment!

Cheers
Martin

Senninha
07-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I believe Ary is referring to the fact that this is a Targa, hence the extra weight ;)

AR
07-03-2008, 05:53 PM
??

95/96 cars only slightly heavier than 91-94's due to power steering, because 91-94's don't have power steering.

However on the plus side, 95/96's have shorter gearing than 91-94's, which will more than compensate in acceleration terms for slight weight increase, so don't be put off by Ary's comment!

Cheers
Martin

From Prime:

Approx. 100 lbs heaver than 1991/1992 models due to reinforcements for targa top, including: The base of the B pillar where it joins the rocker panel, larger rear bulkhead crossbar, thicker trunk leading edge panel, a redesigned and thicker-walled rear roof section, a redesigned front roof rail section, additional rib in the center rear bulkhead section, a completely redesigned and thicker upper A-pillar. There's also a redesigned and thicker upper dashboard cross member and a redesigned front lower floor section. The extruded aluminum side sills were extensively reinforced - wall thickness of the vertical center web of the 5-sided extrusion went from 2mm to 6mm.

AR
07-03-2008, 05:55 PM
As if it was not enough, it is also OBDII so it will be a lot harder to tune.

But some like them!

Cheers,

AR

markc
07-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Personally I like that colour combo :) Have to agree about the roof panel though.. why do that to it?

BlueNSX, you probably need to drive both manual and power steering cars to decide which you prefer and if this is a deal maker/breaker for you.

The Targa provides you with the open to the elements option that the Coupe simply can't. If it's going to be a fair weather only car it might be a nice option.

It's hard to argue that later gearing is not better suited to the engine and our roads, for my money it outweighs (pun intended) the extra weight of the later model, but only you can decide if its worth the extra outlay.

Mark

BlueNSX
07-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Personally I like that colour combo :) Have to agree about the roof panel though.. why do that to it?

BlueNSX, you probably need to drive both manual and power steering cars to decide which you prefer and if this is a deal maker/breaker for you.

The Targa provides you with the open to the elements option that the Coupe simply can't. If it's going to be a fair weather only car it might be a nice option.

It's hard to argue that later gearing is not better suited to the engine and our roads, for my money it outweighs (pun intended) the extra weight of the later model, but only you can decide if its worth the extra outlay.

Mark

The Car is Mint but needs cam belts

£25200 with out plate

is this too much ?

or more £24500 ?

please advise ?

AR
07-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Considering the age it will probably need water pump, for sure harmonic balancer, oil cooler and cam plugs along with valve clearance check/adjust. So you are looking at the best part of £ 2K without clutch!!! So for me no more than 21 to 22K.

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
07-03-2008, 11:36 PM

Mark

I think some came from the factory like this. Flinty / Jaytips BG Targa also had the black finish.

BlueNSX, As before, check the history for age related service items. Cambelt service with nothing else is around £500 at main dealer. It would be sensible to do the water pump at the same time.

I woudl seriously consider putting into Chiswick or PLans (who are closer but not a main dealer) for an inspection. Take their report, deduct the cost of any works required and look forward to enjoying some great motoring.

FWIW, I think the exterior colour is one of the best on the NSX but will drive you mad keeping it clean ... which is part of the fun of ownership.

Good Luck, Paul

BlueNSX
08-03-2008, 12:29 AM
I think some came from the factory like this. Flinty / Jaytips BG Targa also had the black finish.

BlueNSX, As before, check the history for age related service items. Cambelt service with nothing else is around £500 at main dealer. It would be sensible to do the water pump at the same time.

I woudl seriously consider putting into Chiswick or PLans (who are closer but not a main dealer) for an inspection. Take their report, deduct the cost of any works required and look forward to enjoying some great motoring.

FWIW, I think the exterior colour is one of the best on the NSX but will drive you mad keeping it clean ... which is part of the fun of ownership.

Good Luck, Paul

Many Thanks to all

Will let u know :eek:

BlueNSX
08-03-2008, 12:34 AM
As if it was not enough, it is also OBDII so it will be a lot harder to tune.

But some like them!

Cheers,

AR

Sorry but whats an OBDII ?

jaytip
08-03-2008, 03:15 AM
I think i am in a fair position to give some advice here having owned a non PAS 92 car and a 96 Targa,and in my opinion you can't tell the difference in performance due to the slight weight gain because of the shorter Japanese gears.If you are after roof off motoring and can chip him down a bit because of the maintenance work that needs doing,then i say go for it.

AR
08-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Sorry but whats an OBDII ?

Is a system that controls and monitors your car.

Cheers,

AR

TheSebringOne
08-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Ary, is that not the same as ECU, wiseone?

AR
09-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Ary, is that not the same as ECU, wiseone?

OBD is On Board Diagnostics and II is just the version. It basically checks your emissions systems.

I don't think is the ECU itself, but I think it works in conjuction with it.

All I know is a PITA if your car ios OBD II and you want to SC or Turbo or even test pipes can bring up Cels.

Perhaps a more electrically minded member can expand.

Cheers,

Ary

TheQuietOne
09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
ll I know is a PITA if your car ios OBD II and you want to SC or Turbo or even test pipes can bring up Cels.

Not a reason not to by this year of car though for 95% of us on this site though Ary, well pointed out if he wants to mod though!

BlueNSX
09-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Not a reason not to by this year of car though for 95% of us on this site though Ary, well pointed out if he wants to mod though!

:eek:

Is the problem solved if u replace ECU with Mugan ECU? Which is the best programmable ECU and who would you get to tune it? any Dyno Shop ? Plans Msport or Honda ????????

jaytip
09-03-2008, 02:24 PM
:eek:

Is the problem solved if u replace ECU with Mugan ECU? Which is the best programmable ECU and who would you get to tune it? any Dyno Shop ? Plans Msport or Honda ????????
I don't know for sure but i'm guessing Honda wouldn't install an aftermarket ECU.That's Just a guess though.

AR
09-03-2008, 02:58 PM
If you are going to tune I think that you should stay with OBD I. Mugen is OK but not flexible. Best would be something along the lines of an AEM EMS. If you want to mod the NSX is best to keep away from OBD II.

As far as modding, I would say that the NSX is not the best car for £ to BHP.

A 97 plus is not that much more money, and it will have a slighty bigger engine, stainless OEM manifolds and bigger brakes.

As I said, 1991 t0 1994 or 1997 plus are the best vintage NSX, but othere might differ.

Cheers,

AR

TheSebringOne
09-03-2008, 03:31 PM
I heard if you go down the Mugen or is it less well known after market ECUs to get more bhp, you can run the risk of unlimiting the rev limiter and can push the engine into higher & more dangerous limits? You don't want to do that on a NSX engine! :eek:

AR
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I heard if you go down the Mugen or is it less well known after market ECUs to get more bhp, you can run the risk of unlimiting the rev limiter and can push the engine into higher & more dangerous limits? You don't want to do that on a NSX engine! :eek:

Well one still retains the right foot control!!! :)

TheSebringOne
09-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Right foot control is ok for some, but what happens when you're trundling along when a NSX type rival car suddenly appears, so you feel frisky & decide to play, this hots up, then you think what the hell & put foot to carpet!

AR
09-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Right foot control is ok for some, but what happens when you're trundling along when a NSX type rival car suddenly appears, so you feel frisky & decide to play, this hots up, then you think what the hell & put foot to carpet!

Then a shiftlight comes in handy! :)

Cheers,

AR

BlueNSX
10-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Then a shiftlight comes in handy! :)

Cheers,

AR

Gentleman,

Please if Cam belt is done on the car what is a fair price? This is a beautiful example no marks owner is fastidious!! I really want a T-Top this is the only one avail! if it had been possible then yes a 3.2 is much better. Surly if you do headers and intake (ARy Mod) and Programmable ECU 285 hp must be possible! I like exterior colour interior is OK, condition is Great but more importantly Mileage is Low.

Please help !!

p.s. is there a shift light mod eg 02 NSX - R and how much?

AR
10-03-2008, 10:59 AM
p.s. is there a shift light mod eg 02 NSX - R and how much?

Shiftlight can be had for £ 100.00 and less. I think the NA2 NSX-R cluster requires the NSX-R ECU and that would be way too much money.

Mate if you like the colour and everything is done, get it as cheap as you can, but be aware that no everyone would like the colour combo.

Good luck,

Ary

markdas
10-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Are the timingbelt (s) due to be changed now or very soon. Seems that the owner would have considered this essential for the sale based on your comment of being fastigeous. Or I would have thought he was wide open for a 2K price drop negotiation?

Papalazarou
10-03-2008, 01:34 PM
My guess would be 24.5K tops with cambelt etc done.
There aren't many good cars around and if this one's as good as it looks then that could be a good deal.
The asking price IMO is a little high although it's nice to think that 95' cars are still making strong money.

Cheers,

James.

markc
10-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I agree with markdas, the seller describes the car as "...fully documented and fastidiously maintained" so in theory he should have had the routine work done.

If this is true, and can be verifed, the cambelt should have been done every 6 years, so in 2001 and 2007. If they can prove it, with a bill/invoice for the work, great. If not you'll have to budget circa £500 for it.

Even if it hasn't been done it doesn't mean that it's going to fail anytime soon, but I don't think you should risk it.

When I bought my car I couldn't tell for certain whether the cam belt had been changed on schedule so it was one of the first things I had done.

Did I negotiate a reduction in price?.... no chance I wanted the car badly enough :)

Price is always dependant on how keen the seller is to sell, and the buyer to buy. If the colour combo and spec is right for you and you have the money, subject to the proper checks (identity/ownership/insurance history/finance), I say go for it.

Mark

BlueNSX
11-03-2008, 09:01 PM
My guess would be 24.5K tops with cambelt etc done.
There aren't many good cars around and if this one's as good as it looks then that could be a good deal.
The asking price IMO is a little high although it's nice to think that 95' cars are still making strong money.

Cheers,

James.

To all of the above, thank you for your help, advice and information. Providing there are no problems with the bank I will be the new owner the the above NSX tomorrow at long last!!!!:D

Regards

TheSebringOne
12-03-2008, 12:27 AM
On the shift lights, you can get the NSX Type R dash conversion kit, which has the shift lights in it. Price? Speak to Bazza? Think Detlef had some kits available late last year? HTH

Senninha
12-03-2008, 09:26 AM
On the shift lights, you can get the NSX Type R dash conversion kit, which has the shift lights in it. Price? Speak to Bazza? Think Detlef had some kits available late last year? HTH
The OEM NSX-R dash is only available in kph. Detlef (Procar) does sell the complete dash as well as a conversion to facilitate the in dash rev lights. I would presume that Barry can also obtain an OEM dash for you too. I think that the option Ary is referring to is for a stand alone unit rather than built into the dash. The OEM dash in (hopefully) you're new NSX will not have the correct guages to have the lights (even though there are bulb holders behind the dash).

Best of luck and see you at Japfest!

regards, Paul

JP825
13-03-2008, 04:02 PM
To all of the above, thank you for your help, advice and information. Providing there are no problems with the bank I will be the new owner the the above NSX tomorrow at long last!!!!:D

Regards

Did you get it in the end?? Pics please..

BlueNSX
13-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Did you get it in the end?? Pics please..

Yes, But Not happy with paint work :no: there were NO scratches on it last December when the transaction was supposed to complete. Its really upsetting as I am a perfectionist and any car I have owned always was polished and unmarked.

Will Pick up tomorrow and take to Chiswick Honda for Cambelt, service and quote for paintwork.

Just cant stand it, scratches on drivers door, and stone chips etc.:angry:

Apart from Chiswick Honda in London who else in this country is good enough to do job that matches Honda's initial four coats etc.:(

Not Sure but back home we used Mothers Waxes and polishes, here everybody raves on about Zymol (seems OTT) however in every bodies exp who has best Wax for your buck oops Pound?? please let me know as this needs some serious attention, not in the condition when first viewed.

Heres the Piston Heads Link so you know which one it is & I will be at Japfest http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/344153.htm

I have really appreciated the advice thus far. Bazza is organizing some goodies for me as above. But no point the NSX aesthetically looking like Crap but performing well, first things first and after some time intend upgrades to give 300 HP.

WhyOne?
13-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Nice looking car....and congrat's!

I am similarly damned with an eye for detail.

When I bought my car 18 months ago I took it to a company called Clean Image who did a very good job of re-finishing the paint - story and pictures here:

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/articles/part-1-honda-nsx-01.htm

I have since had Lee ('Tangoman' from S2ki) spend a day machine polishing the car to finish it off. Thread here:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=486868&st=0&#entry10455399

As for wax - I have tried pretty much averything and for the NSX have settles on Zymol Japon as being the best compromise between ease of application / cost / shine. It is about £50 a pot here, but half that from the US.

jaytip
14-03-2008, 05:08 AM
When I bought my car 18 months ago I took it to a company called Clean Image who did a very good job of re-finishing the paint - story and pictures here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT-Want-a-Better-Radio_W0QQitemZ130203494628QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1041 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Hmm,now i'm confused :dunno:

BlueNSX
14-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Nice looking car....and congrat's!

I am similarly damned with an eye for detail.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT-Want-a-Better-Radio_W0QQitemZ130203494628QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1041 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have since had Lee ('Tangoman' from S2ki) spend a day machine polishing the car to finish it off. Thread here:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=486868&st=0&#entry10455399

As for wax - I have tried pretty much averything and for the NSX have settles on Zymol Japon as being the best compromise between ease of application / cost / shine. It is about £50 a pot here, but half that from the US.

Many thanks for that

Can you please PM me his details so I can get him to come look at the car.

Cheers

WhyOne?
14-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Hmm,now i'm confused :dunno:

Hmmm....yes.....I do see the potenmtial for confusion there :)

Link updated!

(The Rover radio was for a friend...honest!!!! ;)

BlueNSX
15-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Just Drove Car, wow its fantastic and worth the wait. However more hp required - Type R must be awesome.;)

markdas
15-03-2008, 03:05 AM
It reads in your post that you settled on the car in December and only got it now? It that what you meant?

BlueNSX
15-03-2008, 09:00 AM
It reads in your post that you settled on the car in December and only got it now? It that what you meant?

Deposit on Car in December, but due to a couple of unfortunate events NSX only picked up yesterday.:D

markdas
16-03-2008, 03:52 AM
The wiat must have killed you! Its been about a week since I have done the deal on mine and I am counting the hours already rather than the days!

At least you have the car at last

Mark