PDA

View Full Version : GTR - as groundbreaking as the NSX?

NoelWatson
12-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Back in the esrly 90's, the NSX made Ferrari and Porsche wake up, and improvements from these manufacturers soon followed. I have never really been into Skylines, but having read this month's EVO where it obliterates the competition (R8, 911 GT3 and Z06), while costing "only" 55k got me thinking that has Japan gone and done it again? A car that will beat the Z06 on the dragstrip, beat the GT3 round the track and beat the R8 on the road

More important to me is should I take the plunge and put a deposit on one? I always feel a bit depressed when I go to VMax (hopefully it will pass) - the GTR will give the Porsches something to think about. Tell me that I am taking rubbish please.....

NSXGB
12-03-2008, 02:09 PM
You are probably right, they seem to have raised the bar in some areas, but it will fail in one critical area (as far as global sales go), just like the NSX....The badge.

WhyOne?
12-03-2008, 02:57 PM
I like the GT-R......I like it a lot!

However, the thing that would stop me buying a new one (apart from the little matter of the £55k!!!) is the need to take it to a Nissan workshop for maintanace.

jaytip
12-03-2008, 03:42 PM
You are probably right, they seem to have raised the bar in some areas, but it will fail in one critical area (as far as global sales go), just like the NSX....The badge.
Gotta disagree with you on this one.The Skyline has always had a cult following and was only readily available in Japan really,other than gray imports and a few official cars.The GTR on the other hand has had MASSIVE positive,press coverage and thrashes everything this side of 100K, PLUS Nissan will be selling them officialy,worldwide.I believe it is going to a very big sales success,relatively speaking.

Silver Surfer
12-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I also like the GT-R in all aspects and I love the look of it.

55K is good value considering what competition it is pitching at coupled with Nissan reliability.

My only concern is that any modification will not be easy and will nullify the warranty. As said, you will need to take it to a 'dedicated GT-R' garage and I am sure the maintenance will recoup Nissan's profit from the initial 'cheap' asking price. It will probably need servicing every 4-6K like the Evos!

Definitely worth considering as a modern upgrade from the NSX IMO.

SS

Nick Graves
12-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I should imagine it will depreciate like a brick, given its chav image.

OK, in terms of numbers, it will lose less than a Porsche Turbo, because of its lower starting point. But people hide behind the percentages.

Oh, it's certainly an interesting car that makes everything else look a bit ridiculous.

But like the NSX, that badge thing (plus the rubbish Insane dealers and the thanks-to-Reno-questionable reliability) will hurt it.

Ironically, the NSX reaches classic staus, just as Honda decide to call its replacement an Accurist instead!

Papalazarou
12-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I also like the GT-R in all aspects and I love the look of it.

55K is good value considering what competition it is pitching at coupled with Nissan reliability.

SS

55K would be good value if it wasn't 35K in Japan. In fact the base model is actually 33.5K.

We get soooo shafted here.

Cheers,

James.

NoelWatson
12-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Car magazine road test

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122409

gumball
12-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Might be "groundbreaking" through shear weight(groan). :doh:
I love it's original looks, sharing some lines with the 350Z , not sure if it would replace an NSX as this is a GT and can't imagine it being as tactile, although some reviews state the contrary.
The 350Z has managed to stay clear of "chav's" and most I see are owned by "Boxster" type people, same will probably be true of it's big brother.
Also, do you think that Nissans efforts to prevent tuning will help hold there value?

dan the man
13-03-2008, 12:26 AM
I think the GT-R is fu***ing class !

jaytip
13-03-2008, 03:47 AM
55K would be good value if it wasn't 35K in Japan. In fact the base model is actually 33.5K.

We get soooo shafted here.

Cheers,

James.
Apparently the 33.5K price is before tax.According to what i read in EVO,the on-the-road-price is closer to 40K

markc
13-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Hmmm... well you can't argue with the performance, and the press reports (though some here will dismiss these as extended marketing) on the overall package are glowing.

I'm gonna be a dissenting voice on the looks though... ugly lovechild of a Mustang, 350Z one night stand!?!

To be honest I don't see it being much more than an evolution of the previous GTRs (Skylines)! Same turbocharged technofest in a biggish not terribly elegant coupe body.

Cut price Veyron or Evo (Mitsubishi) on steroids and in a dress.. you decide :)

I do think it will sell well though, appealing to several audiences...
People who like a bit of VFM (Value for Money) will love the amount of grip, grunt and go for their money.
Existing Skyline owners and Skyline fans will love it and want to trade up.
Impreza and Evo boys will see it as a logical upgrade.

I don't envisage many Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini or even Audi R8 owners trading their cars in against one though.

Can you tell I won't be beating a path to the Nissan dealers yet ;)

Mark

gumball
13-03-2008, 11:34 AM
"though some here will dismiss these as extended marketing"

I think all the UK mags used customer cars.

Certainly set a very high benchmark, What the hell are Honda up to?

Lankstarr
13-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Hopefully Honda will see the GTR's performance as a benchmark and make the new HSABC better:D

Why would anyone need to tune a car that fast:no:

jaytip
13-03-2008, 03:50 PM
What the hell are Honda up to?
Sleeping :(

jaytip
13-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Hopefully Honda will see the GTR's performance as a benchmark and make the new HSABC better:D

I think Honda,having seen the results of Nissan's new flag ship will not even bother replacing the NSX,because they know it is too big a challenge.
Remember,the NSX was almost as expensive 17 YEARS AGO as the GTR is now,so what price would a new competative NSX be.I think too expensive to compete.

WhyOne?
13-03-2008, 04:17 PM
........the NSX was almost as expensive 17 YEARS AGO as the GTR is now....

That is a very good....and sobering....point!

markc
13-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Try this futile exercise for for fun...

In 1991 an NSX cost 8 Million (Yen) and a Skyline R32 GTR about 5 Million (Yen) ie the NSX was 60% more. Fast forward to 2008 and a GTR costs approx £55K, so an NSX "should" in theory cost £90K

In 1991 they had similar power so scaleing up again, the theoretical 2008 NSX should have a 4.4Ltr engine making 467hp and weigh 1560Kg. I think Honda could do a little better on the weight.

So we have...
GTR - 3.8Ltr, 467hp, 1740Kg, £55K
'08 NSX - 4.4Ltr, 467hp, 1560Kg, £90K

Anyone apart from me want one :)

Other specs (approx)...
997S - 3.8Ltr, 355hp, 1495Kg, £69K
R8 - 4.2 Ltr, 414hp, 1560Kg, £79K
F430 - 4.3Ltr, 483hp, 1450Kg, £130K
Gallardo - 5.0Ltr, 520hp, 1570Kg, £125

The '08 NSX would seem to slot neatly between the 997S and F430, just a little above the R8 in all categories.

Of course carrying the Honda badge it'd be a sales disaster but assuming they kept to similar standards of engineering to our version, using modern materials and designs of course, it'd be absolute jewel of a machine for the lucky few of us that could see beyond the badge :)

Mark

simonprelude
14-03-2008, 09:02 AM
What are the prices with the 'must have' options.
You know, wheels etc :)

I know every time I have a laugh and look to spec a 911 GT3 or Turbo they come out 30% higher than list price.

Other specs (approx)...

markc
14-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Those are all approx base prices which I think is fair.

It's not as if any of these cars lack any essential equipment, it's more that the sort of people who buy them (cough.. footballers) tend to have more than enough money and indulge in the options list just because they can.

If they want ermin lined wheelarches around their 24in wheels, nappa leather indicator stalks, heated sunvisors or a 32inch screen for the sat nav, why not!?!
Apart from compromising and/or reducing performance, none of these options are worth any extra come resale time.
Provided of course they didn't order it custom painted and trimmed in a daft colour (metallic orange ;) ) or it'll be impossible to sell.

Mark

TheSebringOne
15-03-2008, 12:38 AM
I've never been a real Skyline GTR fan but I like the idea/concept of the new GTR & I appreciate both the old/new model in terms of pure technology that it uses to help you drive the car more extremly but safely, but theres lies the problem of too much fancy technology helping feel like a F1 driver!

It will be the next stepping stone for those Evo owners with more money and in terms of bang for bucks, nothing will touch it under 100K, but its still an Nissan! Interesting its shares the same generic tyre BS REO70s as the NSX Type R, but bespoked to the GTR. They are 400 a corner!! :eek:

Also its not exactly elegant in shape, but Nissan wanted the most aero front they could get instead of how it looks, so its purely a track car for the road!

jaytip
15-03-2008, 03:46 AM
nothing will touch it under 100K, but its still an Nissan!
Aww man,and what do we say about people who say "it's still a Honda"
If a car is good,it's good.If it can take apart the the cream of the crop under 100K and STILL be a good daily driver,it shouldn't matter who builds it.

Ewan
15-03-2008, 08:47 AM
I like the idea/concept of the new GTR & I appreciate both the old/new model in terms of pure technology

I for one think it looks the mutt's nuts, but I would be scared as hell of buying one first time around. It's got so much new technology, you have to wonder how long it will take to bed down and get rid of teething problems. And if it goes wrong, it's going to be expensive (for the warranty, initially) to put right.

Look at the drivetrain - transaxle gearbox hung out over the back wheels and a second (carbon) propshaft taking drive back to the front... that's going to hurt if it develops any problems...

I'm not convinced it will be a depreciation disaster, either - there's strong demand already (apparently they've sold out the first couple of years allocation) but supply will still be constrained - so it's quite conceiveable that picking up a year old model in 4 years time (by which point they've sorted any gremlins) would still be mid-high £40ks at today's money...

Even if they start selling for £60k+ from next year, it does make you think about what that might do to late model NSX values. If Graypaul are asking £50k now for an effectively brand new 05 NSX, it's not that much of a step up to a whole new age of technology and performance, to the GT-R.

I think it's great that Nissan have gone ahead with this car, though - everyone else seems to be getting distracted by hybrids, electric performance cars, so it's nice to see a mainstream manufacturer doing a "who cares what the CO2 emmissions are" model...

gumball
15-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Yep, what Ewan said:yes:

Also those arn't wind tunnel looks, otherwise it would have cracked 200mph, thats a whole lot of Manga style:bigsmile:.

Nick Graves
18-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Try this futile exercise for for fun...

In 1991 an NSX cost 8 Million (Yen) and a Skyline R32 GTR about 5 Million (Yen) ie the NSX was 60% more. Fast forward to 2008 and a GTR costs approx £55K, so an NSX "should" in theory cost £90K

In 1991 they had similar power so scaleing up again, the theoretical 2008 NSX should have a 4.4Ltr engine making 467hp and weigh 1560Kg. I think Honda could do a little better on the weight.

So we have...
GTR - 3.8Ltr, 467hp, 1740Kg, £55K
'08 NSX - 4.4Ltr, 467hp, 1560Kg, £90K

Anyone apart from me want one :)

Other specs (approx)...

The '08 NSX would seem to slot neatly between the 997S and F430, just a little above the R8 in all categories.

Of course carrying the Honda badge it'd be a sales disaster but assuming they kept to similar standards of engineering to our version, using modern materials and designs of course, it'd be absolute jewel of a machine for the lucky few of us that could see beyond the badge :)

Mark

You are obviously thinking of a slightly different car, but the Acura GT5000 is projected to cost $100K. Since cars cost the same in bucks as sterling, your £90K 'futile exercise' ain't far wrong!

Remember that it will be a luxurious, SH-AWD V10 Aston scarer, so it will be a lot 'classier' than the GTR.

(Unless the design team HAS committed hara-kiri, and the new design team HAS gone R8-chasing instead).

markc
18-03-2008, 10:46 PM
(Unless the design team HAS committed hara-kiri, and the new design team HAS gone R8-chasing instead).

HaHa, lets hope so :)

I deliberately excluded the GT options ie DB9, GranTurismo (Masser), M6, SL55AMG, LF-A (Lexus) as I think the original NSX was closer in spirit and function to "pure sports" car than these super coupes. The GT5000 concept looks closer to the former.

The front engined cars that bridge the cap and are more "pure sports" than GT are AMV8, Alfa 8C Competizione and maybe the Corvette Z06.

At least the GTR forges it's own path. It sort of competes with all the above BUT is actually unique.

I still say the R8 is closest to where the 2008 NSX should be :)

Mark

Sudesh
18-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Some Skyline Pics!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/Icon.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/Icon1.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/icon-1.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/icon10.jpg

Sudesh
18-03-2008, 10:57 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/Icon11.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/icon1-2.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/icon3.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/icon7.jpg

Sudesh
18-03-2008, 10:59 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/icon4.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/icon8.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/icon2.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/Icon12.jpg

Sudesh
18-03-2008, 11:00 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/icon9.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/icon5.jpg

TheSebringOne
18-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Mark C, I do like your so called futile exercise & analysis! Very interesting :) Where can I buy a Gallardo for 130 squids? :eek: :laugh:

I hope that the new GTR may rub off on Honda/Acura to come out with out with something radical, innovative and beautifully styled! :thumbsup:

simonprelude
19-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Hello v.6, yes the latest thing is overplayed as groundbreaking whether it is or not.

So tell us more about yourself, I was in Malaga a couple of weeks ago :)

Ive been watching some old B&W Movie Tone motorsport news on DVD and it reminded me the word groundbreaking in the motor industry is getting a bit like the phrase "great player" in football. Its a bit over used.

Those guys in the old open top racing cars charging around at 150mph were ground breakers for the rest of us to benefit from. I am not sure the Nissan v Toyota battle to pack in more technology on the dashboard will benefit any of our grand kids.

NoelWatson
20-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Hello v.6, yes the latest thing is overplayed as groundbreaking whether it is or not.

So tell us more about yourself, I was in Malaga a couple of weeks ago :)

But in this case I feel it is justified. My thinking is as follows. When the TVR Cerbera came out in 1996, Autocar wanted to give it 5 stars for performance as it did 0-100 in around 9 seconds. Modern supercars such as the Zonda in ideal conditions with a perfect launch can do 0-60 in around 3.5 and 0-100 in around 8. The GT-R can get very close to these times with minimal effort from the driver

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=231444&CT=V

Cars such as the Carrera GT and Zonda get round the ring in around 7:35 - as does the GT-R. The GT-R is just behind the Enzo round the EVO track.

I appreciate numbers only give you a small part of what makes a great car, but when numerous road tests say the GT-R is as good to drive on roads as the R8, it appears that it can do this as well.

All this for 55k - astonishing!

There are more GT-R links on my blog

http://www.noelwatson.com/blog/PermaLink,guid,e3ecea51-0dd0-4921-b915-267991f84ad2.aspx

markc
20-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey Noel, I reckon you're one of the VFM guys I listed :)

It (the GTR) just doesn't do it for me, primarily it's the looks and image, but the grip/grunt/go quota is indeed spectacular.

I reckon a £90k 4.4Ltr (NA), 480hp, 2wd, mid-engined, 1400Kg car could sell but who'd make it???

Sounds like a good spec for an Audi R8 RS... shame they're wedded to 4wd :(

I can't see Honda putting their name to it and most the big manufacturers I mentioned seem committed to either front engined supercoupes/GT's OR mid engined "pure sports" cars around this price point.

Maybe the proposed AMG Mercedes SLC, McLaren P11 or Ferrari Dino will fit the bill? Can't see any of them hitting the price point though!

Can I have a ride in your new GTR when you get it anyway :)

Mark

NoelWatson
20-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey Noel, I reckon you're one of the VFM guys I listed :)

It (the GTR) just doesn't do it for me, primarily it's the looks and image, but the grip/grunt/go quota is indeed spectacular.

I reckon a £90k 4.4Ltr (NA), 480hp, 2wd, mid-engined, 1400Kg car could sell but who'd make it???

Sounds like a good spec for an Audi R8 RS... shame they're wedded to 4wd :(

I can't see Honda putting their name to it and most the big manufacturers I mentioned seem committed to either front engined supercoupes/GT's OR mid engined "pure sports" cars around this price point.

Maybe the proposed AMG Mercedes SLC, McLaren P11 or Ferrari Dino will fit the bill? Can't see any of them hitting the price point though!

Can I have a ride in your new GTR when you get it anyway :)

Mark

I agree with your point about the R8 being the modern NSX, but as you say, who needs 4WD with that level of N/A torque. The theoretical car you describe would be perfect, but in the absence of this the GTR may be the next best choice.

I haven't decided whether to put a deposit down yet, but if I do I will be straight down to SRR for a dyno evening when it is run in.

TheSebringOne
20-03-2008, 11:42 PM
V6, I'm sure I posted this last night, internet playing up?! Is your the only NSX in the Costa Del Sol or in Spain? I was in Malaga last year as I was renovating a reform in a town near Nerja for few weeks. Took an awesome mountain route via motorway opposite way from Malaga to get to Granada airport, was in the clouds, twisty & narrow! NSX a bit wide on this route, but would be awesome drive tho when dry! :)

TheSebringOne
21-03-2008, 06:29 PM
:doh: Doh I knew I've posted, but could'nt find the thread & was tired! Yes I was in Malaga to see the Picasso gallery, the ruin opposite (amphi-theatre?) & the castle thats looks like the mini Alhambra! Maybe we could catch up when I'm next there! :)

Senninha
02-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Fresh from PH news headlines .... love the last line of text

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=17818

simonprelude
02-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Car available to pre order today £3k deposit :)

craigdonnelly
02-04-2008, 11:19 AM
I read on the internet that Honda will not rest until the new NSX laps the Nurburgring 8 seconds faster than the new GTR! The source is Japans top selling car magazine. This could be tosh but lets hope not.

The new Ferrari Dino will not cost less than £100k. Ferrari has confirmed it will be priced the same as the F430 because they don't want to sell a "cheap" Ferrari. this source was Autocar. Personally iI think if the Fiat group wanted to make a cheaper supercar they would badge it Maserati of Alfa Romeo similar to the 8C.

When I read this thread at first I agreed the GTR was ground breaking but I have changed my mind. I believe people think teh GTR is ground breaking because it is amazing value for money. I feel it has just moved the game on from a 997 turbo which moved the game on from a Porsche 959. I also think some of the GTR performance gains are a little impratical because the Tyres are inflated with a F1 style air mixture which a GTR approved dealer can only inflate.

I do have total respect for it though!

AR
02-04-2008, 11:26 AM
And how can it be 55k when is only 35K in Japan and the US!!!

BlueNSX
02-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Quite honestly I could not understand anyone on this forum wanting to buy one after owning an NSX.:no: (Forum admin please don't ban me for this repartee)

More HP <> > Fun. Its heavy and quite frankly has no feel IE you have no driver involvement. Test drove one back home R32, R33 & R34 so admittedly not the new one, however R32 had nismo bits and R33 550hp. They were rubbish!

Have owned a Porsche, STI WRX, RX7, Alfa Romeo (dont know if I should have put that in) among-st other vehicles. Was about to buy a Lambo but that really sucked !!!:eek:

Firstly the NSX was designed from a completely blank piece of paper "Hand Made" *** ie Best Quality no compromise, Ferrari have taken 10yrs to catch up. The only short coming was that when going through the design process they used the 328/348 as a comparison, hence I believe engine size and power.

I own a 95 Targa 3.0 and by the aficionados is a bit soft, but I love driving it even with power steering it still has good feel. Yes more HP would be great but in London you cant get out of first gear if your lucky.

The NSX is a great package - I could have bought a F355 but heres the catch : £3k annual service bill, yada yada yada, reliability as F1 boxes can have a problem with the actuator thats £7K. Rear buttresses crack need re-welding and obviously repainting, exhaust manifolds tend to crack and are no longer covered under warranty, where does it stop. I like the fact when I get in the NSX it starts first time, its comfortable, has Air con (sorry cant do with out it) the looks are well balanced, it has beautiful lines and is unique (5 in UK in my colour). Aluminum Bodied, Aluminum Suspension, Great Sounding Engine what more could you want.

What other car, bar a Ferrari 360 CS has the same driver appeal and great looks and gets as much attention. Parked in Central London everybody takes photos.:cool:

Four wheel drive is not required on a "Real Sports Car" :( IE McLaren F1, more gauges is just a gimmick, turbos = Turbo Lag. Driving on a beautiful country lane in an NSX couldn't be more rewarding I dont think the same could be said in a GTR.

If its the HP and being beaten in a straight line by a hairdressers car that worries you, put a supercharger on it or a stroker kit, money far better spent.

Aryton Senna cant be involved in the design process for the Next NSX!

As members of this forum we are truly lucky to be able to own such a great car. AFAIC FWIW IMHO HTH.

NoelWatson
02-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I read on the internet that Honda will not rest until the new NSX laps the Nurburgring 8 seconds faster than the new GTR! The source is Japans top selling car magazine. This could be tosh but lets hope not.

The new Ferrari Dino will not cost less than £100k. Ferrari has confirmed it will be priced the same as the F430 because they don't want to sell a "cheap" Ferrari. this source was Autocar. Personally iI think if the Fiat group wanted to make a cheaper supercar they would badge it Maserati of Alfa Romeo similar to the 8C.

When I read this thread at first I agreed the GTR was ground breaking but I have changed my mind. I believe people think teh GTR is ground breaking because it is amazing value for money. I feel it has just moved the game on from a 997 turbo which moved the game on from a Porsche 959. I also think some of the GTR performance gains are a little impratical because the Tyres are inflated with a F1 style air mixture which a GTR approved dealer can only inflate.

I do have total respect for it though!

http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4598

markc
02-04-2008, 03:56 PM
... the Tyres are inflated with a F1 style air mixture which a GTR approved dealer can only inflate.

I think it's just Nitrogen they use. It has the advantage of expanding less (than air) as it heats up so your tyre pressures stay more consistant, and with it the feel of the chassis, as the tyres heat up.

Quite a few tyre shops can infate your tyres with Nitrogen, for a few extra £££'s, these days.

Mark

TheQuietOne
02-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Starting to feel like a spammer on my mini mission b u t.....

It has now been confirmed there will be a GTR both to look around and out on the track at Japfest in May, so if any of you were unsure if it was your cup of tea this might sway you. Would be fascinating to see it next to one of our babies in real life....

To sign up and save £10.00 per ticket: http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4179&page=11

TQO.

jaytip
02-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Starting to feel like a spammer on my mini mission b u t.....

It has now been confirmed there will be a GTR both to look around and out on the track at Japfest in May, so if any of you were unsure if it was your cup of tea this might sway you. Would be fascinating to see it next to one of our babies....

To sign up and save £10.00 per ticket: http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4179&page=11

TQO.
Here ya go.

markc
02-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Wow... some of the magazine road tests have said you don't realise how big the GTR is until you see it in the flesh but those pics certainly help put it in perspective, it's HUGE!!!

Assuming the NSX isn't a 2/3rds scale model of course ;)

Mark

FRM70
02-04-2008, 07:20 PM

markc
02-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Assuming really low volume or new start-ups can't count and the manufacturers mentioned so far in this thread can't either, IMHO only 2 names could pull it off... BMW and Lotus.

BMW have the brand and sub-brand (M-Power), motorsport heritage, finances, technical resources, scale, and ambition to do it. With current M3 4Ltr V8 and M5/6 5Ltr V10, they even have off the shelf engines to do it... I see no reason why they wouldn't? Sounds like a next gen M1 to me :)

Lotus have the brand, motorsport heritage, technical resources and possibly ambition to do it. Finances are their problem :( Sounds like a next gen Esprit to me :)

Mark

FRM70
02-04-2008, 07:41 PM
"I reckon a £90k 4.4Ltr (NA), 480hp, 2wd, mid-engined, 1400Kg car could sell but who'd make it???"

How about the new Farbio GTS made by Chris Marsh, they have launched a 2wd , mid engined car , weighing in at 1048 kg with a full carbon fibre body, the first model will have
262bhp 3 litre V6 but there is a 384 bhp supercharged version on the way ( 0-60 in 3.9 and max mph 175+) all this for £60k & £71k ! not bad figures I reckon.

simonprelude
02-04-2008, 07:50 PM
I was speaking to Chris just before Christmas, however he never got back to me.
Shame really as they are only a 10 minute drive away.

"I reckon a £90k 4.4Ltr (NA), 480hp, 2wd, mid-engined, 1400Kg car could sell but who'd make it???"

How about the new Farbio GTS made by Chris Marsh, they have launched a 2wd , mid engined car , weighing in at 1048 kg with a full carbon fibre body, the first model will have
262bhp 3 litre V6 but there is a 384 bhp supercharged version on the way ( 0-60 in 3.9 and max mph 175+) all this for £60k & £71k ! not bad figures I reckon.

craigdonnelly
02-04-2008, 08:35 PM
The problem with the Farbio is the new Lotus "Eagle" coming out. It should be soon with a Toyota V6 with various types of tune.

BlueNSX
02-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Here ya go.

Jaytip Thanks ! One looks like a dogs breakfeast :eek: the other an NSX FMD.

markc
02-04-2008, 09:09 PM
I wish the Farbio well BUT it a) comes under start-up (companies) so can't play in the mainstream... much like Noble and b) is too "cheap" both in price and componentry (engine) to play against the current crop and the big guns I suggested. I fear they will struggle :(

I do wish Lotus would stop messing around with yet more Elise derivatives (Eagle) and get on with the new Esprit.

Mark

craigdonnelly
02-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Development of the new Esprit is underway and should go into production in 2010.

TheSebringOne
02-04-2008, 11:39 PM
BlueNSX, I enjoyed your write up & agree with most of what you say! :)

Ivor, great find, I know the new GTR got a very low drag factor thats better than the NSX, but stood next to the NSX its looks more brick like, so high & seems to lacks beautiful body lines! The NSX has a great timeless shape, I can't say much for the new GTR tho! Having said that I would like to have a go to feel what all the fuss is about & how awesome it drives according to all the car mags/shows.

AR
03-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Looks like the new transit van from the front!http://www.vospers.com/upload/vospers/images/misc/ford-transit-main.jpg

BlueNSX
03-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Good Find - (One looks like the Transit (and probably drives the same) and the other is a Transit van).

Why on an NSX Forum is there so much discussion on an inferior product.:no:

Looks like the new transit van from the front!http://www.vospers.com/upload/vospers/images/misc/ford-transit-main.jpg

gumball
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Why on an NSX Forum is there so much discussion on an inferior product.:no:

Sounds like something from a Porsche forum:bigsmile:
I think theres room for more than one nice car in the world, maybe in off topic though.

craigdonnelly
03-04-2008, 01:32 PM
I agree we shouldn't criticize other cars or enthusiasts because we favour something else. I wouldn't say jazz music is crap because I like rock music. I prefer light, mid-engined cars because my last three cars were a lotus elise, Boxster S and now the NSX. Top speed and big bhp numbers don't bother me unless I'm playing top trumphs. However i wouldn't say the GTR is an inferior product because it's not our cup of tea. I can see the attraction of 4WD all weather peformance especially in this country. I didn't understand why people were club members for old ford Cortina's or un-reliable Rovers but then I relised were All enthusiasts and share the same joy of motoring.

Remeber some people think were nuts buying an NSX!

BlueNSX
03-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Gentleman, no offence intended to anyone, please drive a GTR.

I agree we shouldn't criticize other cars or enthusiasts because we favour something else. I wouldn't say jazz music is crap because I like rock music. I prefer light, mid-engined cars because my last three cars were a lotus elise, Boxster S and now the NSX. Top speed and big bhp numbers don't bother me unless I'm playing top trumphs. However i wouldn't say the GTR is an inferior product because it's not our cup of tea. I can see the attraction of 4WD all weather peformance especially in this country. I didn't understand why people were club members for old ford Cortina's or un-reliable Rovers but then I relised were All enthusiasts and share the same joy of motoring.

Remeber some people think were nuts buying an NSX!

gsuds
03-04-2008, 06:03 PM
As the owner of a couple of very unreliable (Land)Rovers (& considering a P5B) I can even see the attraction with these :laugh:

Petrolheadedness implies eclecticism...but the GTR has still had a big swipe from the ugly-stick. JMHO. However, so had the Citroen Ami 6 (in a big way) and I'd love one of those!

Nurse, the syringe please :eek:

G

senna786
05-04-2008, 01:58 PM
http://www.gtrnissan.com/

well,

I took the plunge and went down to the nearest Nissan High Performance Centre on Wednesday 2nd April, when Nissan offially started taking orders for the cars. So all the nonsense i was reading that people have been putting deposits down for years is a load of cobblers... Nissan have made it clear, they will only be taking order confirmations from the 2nd and anyone who has placed a deposit or previously or shown interest will not be prioritised...

So placed my deposit and chose my spec. Went for the black Eidtion in Kuro black. Opted to go without SatNav option (another £1900) because they will only be available in Sept 09. I wanted the earliest one, so opted for without. I will get confirmation of my delivery date by end of April. Looking like March/April-09. Had my reservation confirmation and deposit confirmation from Nissan UK. SO a long wait now.

I hear so many positive a well as negative comments on this thread. All I can say is that is is a shame that Honda is nowhere on the horizon in developing a 'best of breed' peice of enginnering eutopia.... They have lost their way and I cant see them coming back with anything exceptional for many years....

For all those who are quick to remark on the new Nissan GT-R, please do educate yourself on what Nissan have actually achieved here - have a look at the link above and just see what the president of Nissan has to say.....
In my view, this is the kind of language Honda should be speaking and some would say once upon a time were speaking.
Just look into how it is built, the effort that has went in to develop this car... The engine is handcrafted and assembled!!! how many cars can you say that about....... (yes the NSX and more recently Honda did it with the ITR DC2, which I own one off and is in another league of front wheel drive engineering) - I do love it.

Nissan will be making a big shout when they release this worldwide. Europe and UK buyers taking ownership will have special concierge type service available to them to keep them updated on the status of the car. They will be invited to open days and track day evensts laid on by Nissan racing. There will be various other marketing to support the launch and I understand new buyers will become part of an 'experience' and not just a retail purchase like others manufacturers...

Some have also mentioned on here that these cars will only appeal to chavs and older GT-R owners/fans. WRONG!! From close sources I can tell you of the 400 orders placed on the day I purchased, there were a hell of a lot from Porsche and Ferrari owners.....
This car will be a piece of engineering history and the interest it will have with a worldwide launch (as previously it's always been restricted to Japan, with a few UK models) will be phenomenal.... We can already see that in the press...

dan the man
05-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Nice one pal, good luck with it. I love it :)

as for CHAVS..60k aint exactly chav territory is it!

Nick Graves
05-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Plenty of chavs own Porches and Ferraris too! It's a mindset thing, not a wealth thing.

Seriously though, good luck with the long wait and the new car. You are always welcome to bring it round for a second opinion!

It seems as exciting as an NSX, which few cars are, any more.

simonprelude
05-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Can't wait to see it and hear your thoughts.

Not for me though :(

NSXGB
25-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Senna......did you get your invite to the Nurburgring....and your tape measure?? ;)

http://www.gtrnissan.com/

well,

I took the plunge and went down to the nearest Nissan High Performance Centre on Wednesday 2nd April, when Nissan offially started taking orders for the cars. So all the nonsense i was reading that people have been putting deposits down for years is a load of cobblers... Nissan have made it clear, they will only be taking order confirmations from the 2nd and anyone who has placed a deposit or previously or shown interest will not be prioritised...

So placed my deposit and chose my spec. Went for the black Eidtion in Kuro black. Opted to go without SatNav option (another £1900) because they will only be available in Sept 09. I wanted the earliest one, so opted for without. I will get confirmation of my delivery date by end of April. Looking like March/April-09. Had my reservation confirmation and deposit confirmation from Nissan UK. SO a long wait now.

I hear so many positive a well as negative comments on this thread. All I can say is that is is a shame that Honda is nowhere on the horizon in developing a 'best of breed' peice of enginnering eutopia.... They have lost their way and I cant see them coming back with anything exceptional for many years....

For all those who are quick to remark on the new Nissan GT-R, please do educate yourself on what Nissan have actually achieved here - have a look at the link above and just see what the president of Nissan has to say.....
In my view, this is the kind of language Honda should be speaking and some would say once upon a time were speaking.
Just look into how it is built, the effort that has went in to develop this car... The engine is handcrafted and assembled!!! how many cars can you say that about....... (yes the NSX and more recently Honda did it with the ITR DC2, which I own one off and is in another league of front wheel drive engineering) - I do love it.

Nissan will be making a big shout when they release this worldwide. Europe and UK buyers taking ownership will have special concierge type service available to them to keep them updated on the status of the car. They will be invited to open days and track day evensts laid on by Nissan racing. There will be various other marketing to support the launch and I understand new buyers will become part of an 'experience' and not just a retail purchase like others manufacturers...

Some have also mentioned on here that these cars will only appeal to chavs and older GT-R owners/fans. WRONG!! From close sources I can tell you of the 400 orders placed on the day I purchased, there were a hell of a lot from Porsche and Ferrari owners.....
This car will be a piece of engineering history and the interest it will have with a worldwide launch (as previously it's always been restricted to Japan, with a few UK models) will be phenomenal.... We can already see that in the press...

Nick Graves
28-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Getting ridiculously over-excited by the Acura GT5000. Perhaps teh trhead title needs revising?

Choices, choices...