PDA

View Full Version : A use for a redundant spare wheel bracket

indi pearl
15-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Since my original spacesaver spare tyre has cracked on both sidewalls I have ceased carrying it,relying instead on a couple of liquid rubber/inflator aerosols kept in the boot.This leaves the alluminium bracket without a job to do.
I have allso been conscious of the need to carry a fire extinguisher,however the white powder types sold for car use are next to useless,being far to small in capacity and not much use on electrics.What I wanted was a decent sized CO2 extinguisher of the type you see in business premises.Following an office re-location I was able to pick up a couple and today I have just finished fitting one into the front compartment.As a diver I have redundant kit (my wife thinks I'm mad keeping old gear) and I removed the scuba tank plate and clamp from an old BCD.I have bolted the plate/clamp to the spare wheel bracket and the CO2 extinguisher sits on the base of the bracket held to the plate by the quick release clamp.
So,a use for an otherwise redundant bracket,a real gain in safety and the cars wheight distribution maintained.
Back plates/clamps are obtainable at any good dive shop and most shops would have old 2nd hand items you should be able to buy for £10 or so.

amo
15-03-2008, 04:21 PM
ya looks good mate
but
god forbid cars on fire you have to pop the bonnet run to the front and open then get the fire exting out

i got a small 1 i know there not much cop but its in with me clamped to the floor parringer side

thx amo