PDA

View Full Version : Rear light condensation

Midnight Blue
16-03-2008, 03:48 AM
I know that condensation in the rear lights is a common problem and people advocate several different methods of dealing with it.

My questions are;

Does drilling holes in the bottom so allow air into the gap between the inner and outer plastic fix the problem?

Or has anyone had any success with applying extra sealant where the outer plastic is glued on to stop the water getting in?

Cheers,

Andy

jaytip
16-03-2008, 05:57 AM
I drilled small holes in the lights of my first NSX and yes,it does solve it.

Lankstarr
16-03-2008, 08:17 AM
If you take the lights out you will see taht the spongy seals have slightly perished allowing the water into the light.

New seals are available from honda or you could run sealant around the existing seals.

Due to the heat of the boot and the fact that the water runs between the light and chassis it's likely that you will still get a small amount of water.

Save up all of your Silica gel pouches ( a good excuse to buy new electrical goods;)) and insert them in between the carpet and light fixings to reduce condensation further.

I rarely get any condensation now and had a boot full when I picked up my car!

Luke

PeteM
16-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I had this problem as well with my Nsx. I actually had water sloshing around in the base of the light unit.

So I choose to do the "drill some holes" fix and like Jaytip's it cured mine also. :thumbsup:

Sudesh
16-03-2008, 09:49 PM
I also done the "drill some holes method" and its been fine since!

Silver Surfer
16-03-2008, 10:01 PM
The 'hole' on mine over the years has let in dirt in to the inside of the lens on mine making it permanently misty!! :(

Can the lens be taken off easily so that it can be cleaned?

SS

mart155
16-03-2008, 10:27 PM
What size holes did you drill and how many?

PeteM
16-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Okay don't think I am mad for suggesting this !

I would take the light clusters out again and simply rinse them out with water to remove the dirt and allow them to dry out.

or a possible quicker fix would be to take out the bulbs / holders and spray water in using a spray bottle to wash the dirt out of the drilled holes, the problem is you might end up with clean patches though as oppose to method above!

I'm not mad honestly.... :)

jaytip
16-03-2008, 11:43 PM
What size holes did you drill and how many?
My mate did mine for me and i think he drilled about 6-7 2mm holes along the bottom inside edge of the lights.

Midnight Blue
17-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Where do I drill, the condensation looks to be in the small sealed gap between the light unit and the outer cover? Do I drill from the bottom to allow the water to the outside world or from the inside to connect the sealed space to the light unit and boot space?
cheers

Andy

v.6
18-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I drilled four holes in total, one on each outer wing extremity of each light unit and another pair just above the lock/barrel. You can probably see where you need to drill coz there will be condensation there waiting for you..... Mine was like a fish tank! Anyway remember its not a 100% cure, especially when you have extremes of heat or humidity (I live in Spain) but its a good fix to an annoying bug.

Low Flyer
29-03-2008, 09:58 PM
I have had condensation in the centre panel of the rear lights--the Honda badge without a light, and removed the panel (four bolts accessed from the boot) then drilled two 2mm holes on either side, top and bottom, into the space between the outer clear "pane" and the inner reflective surface, so that they are "invisible" when the panel is replaced. I am delighted to say that the fix is total. J.C.

HONDANSXR
07-04-2008, 08:36 AM
I know that condensation in the rear lights is a common problem and people advocate several different methods of dealing with it.

My questions are;

Does drilling holes in the bottom so allow air into the gap between the inner and outer plastic fix the problem?

Or has anyone had any success with applying extra sealant where the outer plastic is glued on to stop the water getting in?

Cheers,

Andy

hi i have a 91 model yr if i leave the boot open in the garage it stops the lights misting up? strange but true . think it is the mid engine heats up the boot ,then cools allowing moisture . try it . let me know

Midnight Blue
07-04-2008, 10:42 AM
quote from HONDANSXR;

hi i have a 91 model yr if i leave the boot open in the garage it stops the lights misting up? strange but true . think it is the mid engine heats up the boot ,then cools allowing moisture . try it . let me know

Sorry, can't! The NSX only lives in a car port, nobody has a garage out here in my part of the Far East as it never gets cold.

There may well be something in what you say though. The last time I got the condensation problem was after I had been caught out in a very heavy shower. The following morning, the lights and the inner surface of the boot lid were effected with condensation but the carpet was dry. Hence, it is certainly more of a condensation problem than leak into the boot.
I left the boot open for a couple of hours and the boot was bone dry but it took 2 weeks for the condensation to dry out from the lights.

I took one side out and left it inside the house in a 24 hours a day air-cond environment with much lower humidity than outside but it didn't make any noticeable difference. Probably because there is no air flow through the light unit.

Cheers,

Andy

TheSebringOne
08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey guys, seems this is worth a try if you have a garage :thumbsup: But does the boot light come on if you release the boot & not fully open it?

gsuds
09-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Don't think so...

...but isn't this a bit like the fridge light question?? :laugh:

TheSebringOne
14-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Tried it in the dark, but obscured by the inner boot surround after lifting it slowly! Maybe just lie in the boot to definately find out, but only after I've shrunked or get my lad in to check! :D

dan the man
14-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Holes always a winner... worked a treat on my old UK DC2.. damn hondas

Lankstarr
14-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Tried it in the dark, but obscured by the inner boot surround after lifting it slowly! Maybe just lie in the boot to definately find out, but only after I've shrunked or get my lad in to check! :D

If you want to try this then just pop the cover off the light and remove the bulb.

IF you try drilling and it doesn;t get rid of all of the condensation then collect some silica gel sachets and stuff them behind the carpet next to the lights - they'll help to absorb any excess moisture.

Safety warning - Matt - don;t eat the silica gel... remember what happened last time you did that:eek:

L*