PDA

View Full Version : Another ABS/TCS code puzzle...

Martyn27_uk
14-04-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm writing this over munch and in haste, if it's not clear let me know what you need to know!

For quite a while now the ABS has kicked in at slow traffic stops. ( 1993 manual 5sp unmodified ).

Thinking it might be a wheel sensor I pulled ( or tried to pull ) the self-diagnosis codes this morning.

I know the TCS and ALB share the same wheel sensors

I’ve got the relevant manual page in front of me ( 19-31 ) but can’t make sense of what I see.

Can anyone interpret this?

NORMAL SEQUENCE ( diagnostic plug not bridged )

Ignition switch on, engine off

OIL BATTERY ALB TCS all on constantly ( SRS Airbag light glows briefly, then switches off )

Ignition switch on, engine starts and during normal driving

All tell tale lights off

DIAGNOSTIC SEQUENCE ( with the bright blue connector bridged )

Ignition switch on, engine off

OIL CEL BATTERY on constantly ( SRS Airbag light glows briefly, then switches off )

TCS flashes once – as the doors are locked by my car’s security system - then remains on constantly

ABS light off

Ignition switch on, engine starts

CEL light remains on, all others, including the TCS light, go off.

britlude
14-04-2008, 03:29 PM
ok, so it's an echo.....

ABS section, go to page 19-44, (page 44 on the pdf file) this gives the ABS flashing lamp code meanings!

TCS section starts page 19-82, (page 82 on the PDF) explains the TCS flashes!

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/inf.../10_brakes.pdf

what do you mean ABS kicked in? the pump, or the lamp???

the pump automatically recharges the system when it detects a drop in pressure in the abs reservior.....

Martyn27_uk
14-04-2008, 08:24 PM
& that's where I'm looking :-0

My guess is, as the ABS light isn't displaying as I drive then no fault code is being sent to the system, so there are no fault codes for me to download!

There IS a fault though! I wonder if it's possible that the wheel IS actually locking up at very low speed ( but surely I'd notice! )