PDA

View Full Version : Manual tranny fluid - worth replacing early?

Ewan
01-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Oh wise clubmates

I'm due to get the NSX serviced in a couple of weeks, and thought I might get them to change the transmission fluid at the same time, though it's not listed on the serivce schedule until next year. Sometimes the shift into 2nd is a bit lumpy when cold, and 3rd can be a bit sticky sometimes too. The car's 5 years old and from what I can tell, has the original oil still in.

Is changing the fluid likely to make any difference? I'm going to be putting on a couple of thousand miles over the summer and figured it might be worth doing.

Next Q: if I did replace the MTF, would the service guys be OK with NOT doing it again at next year's service?

cheers
Ewan

Papalazarou
01-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Most NSX boxes are notchy into second when cold. Apparently the later Honda transmission fluid MTF3? can't remember the name exactly is supposed to be good. Changing the fluid certainly won't do any harm. I put a transmission treatment in my last car which helped the second gear issue, but made things generally smoother too.

Cheers,

James.

simonprelude
01-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Ewan on the NSX similarly to the S2000 I would look to change the transmission fluid yearly anyway, perhaps as a DIY job and just let the stealers do it when the service schedule recommends it.

dan the man
01-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Its MTF4 now and like engine oil..

it ALWAYS good to change it more than your underpants :)

Senninha
01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
HI Ewan,

Did this last year and did notice the difference. As above, change it as frequently as you feel you want to and simply advice the dealer that you've done the work.

regards, Paul

Ewan
02-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys - I've just ordered 3L of Redline from Opie, but I think I'll just get the stealer to replace it whilst they're doing the oil change & service anyway.

cheers, Ewan

DAVEMAT
02-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Just hope there's no Manual Tranny Fluid flying at the Camp Corner, at Japfest!!!!!

goldnsx
02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Yearly changes? Not worth the money. As you have some 'issues' with your gearbox I'd change it but then leave it in 4 years. Yearly changes are pretty much overkill for the gearbox oil.

Ewan
02-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Yearly changes? Not worth the money. As you have some 'issues' with your gearbox I'd change it but then leave it in 4 years. Yearly changes are pretty much overkill for the gearbox oil.

Thanks - reading the verbiage on Prime about the Redline MTL fluid, it seems that it might not improve the lumpy 1->2 change (one guy even took his car back to the dealer after a short while of using Redline, because it had gotten worse... he says he went back to Honda OEM and it disappeared).

I'll see what happens and report at JapFest how it's doing - service is being done the day before (gulp - let's hope they don't forget any parts).

Ewan

Lankstarr
28-05-2008, 05:45 AM
REplaced mine recently with the Honda stuff - lumpy second no more!

Definitely worth changing if you have lumps:)

L*

Sudesh
28-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm planning on doing this, along with my engine oil change next week. I found this DIY write up which will help with the gearbox oil change.

http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/transoil/index.htm

Ewan
30-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks - reading the verbiage on Prime about the Redline MTL fluid, it seems that it might not improve the lumpy 1->2 change (one guy even took his car back to the dealer after a short while of using Redline, because it had gotten worse... he says he went back to Honda OEM and it disappeared).

I'll see what happens and report at JapFest how it's doing - service is being done the day before (gulp - let's hope they don't forget any parts).

Ewan

Well, initial feedback is that the tranny fluid change did the biz. 1->2 can still be a little crunchy when cold, but 2->3 and back again is smooth. So all in, money well spent, especially when the dealer only charged me £160 for the MoT & annual service (though I supplied the oil, filter & tranny fluid).

cheers
Ewan

NoelWatson
30-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Well, initial feedback is that the tranny fluid change did the biz. 1->2 can still be a little crunchy when cold, but 2->3 and back again is smooth. So all in, money well spent, especially when the dealer only charged me £160 for the MoT & annual service (though I supplied the oil, filter & tranny fluid).

cheers
Ewan

Ewan, I think the 1-2 being crunchy from cold may be a problem for 2003-2004 cars. There are some links on Prime regarding this.

Papalazarou
30-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Ewan, I think the 1-2 being crunchy from cold may be a problem for 2003-2004 cars. There are some links on Prime regarding this.

I think it's a problem for most NSX's of all ages. Practically every car I've driven has been notchy between those gears. My old car always snicked into second when cold. I spoke to the Honda tech guy, who also owns a facelift car and he said it was normal. Still sucks though.

Cheers,

James.

Lankstarr
30-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Made the world of difference to my 3.2.

If you have a notch and tranny fluid is more than 20k miles old I'd say give it a go.

L*