PDA

View Full Version : time for new clutch?

Boomin33
04-06-2008, 09:50 AM
I was driving into London this a.m. and coming onto the moterway accelerating ( not ott ) and the revs slipped a little in third. Saw rev limited go up a grand or two.

Have noticed a slight slip only once or twice before when pulling out onto roads.

I did get a deal when I bought it; if the clutch went in the first year £1000 replacment...
should I change it now or wait?

Papalazarou
04-06-2008, 10:03 AM
I was driving into London this a.m. and coming onto the moterway accelerating ( not ott ) and the revs slipped a little in third. Saw rev limited go up a grand or two.

Have noticed a slight slip only once or twice before when pulling out onto roads.

I did get a deal when I bought it; if the clutch went in the first year £1000 replacment...
should I change it now or wait?

Rob, when I moved your car at JF I though it felt a bit strange. What's the mileage?

Cheers,

James.

Boomin33
04-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Rob, when I moved your car at JF I though it felt a bit strange. What's the mileage?

Cheers,

James.

strange in a nice way? :no:

Guess that's my question sort of answered, eh. £1000 a good deal? I think shop rate was £1,500...?

Papalazarou
04-06-2008, 11:14 AM

strange in a nice way? :no:

Guess that's my question sort of answered, eh. £1000 a good deal? I think shop rate was £1,500...?

Sorry mate, no in a how does this work kind of way?!

I know some cars have done 50-60K on a clutch, but I also know of cars that have had three clutches in 50K, so for a grand, I might be tempted to bite the bullet.
I'ts a tricky one and not an easy call, but if it's slips again, it's certainly worth investigating.

Cheers,

James.

Steveycaz
04-06-2008, 01:02 PM
I've just had a clutch fitted for £1600. i was quoted £1800 but managed to buy the parts slightly cheaper on the continent. I'd go for it - I'm told the average is 30,000 miles between changes. However, I'd ensure this is a complete clutch replacement which should include flywheel and release bearings!

simonprelude
04-06-2008, 01:18 PM
It's a 3.2 so flywheel is inspection only, change if required.

This place seems good for the parts though............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220114660275

I've just had a clutch fitted for £1600. i was quoted £1800 but managed to buy the parts slightly cheaper on the continent. I'd go for it - I'm told the average is 30,000 miles between changes. However, I'd ensure this is a complete clutch replacement which should include flywheel and release bearings!

Boomin33
04-06-2008, 02:06 PM

I am supposed to be able to get the whole job for £1K as per the sale agreement.. Ivan has left... so hopefully it's written down.

TheSebringOne
04-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Boomin33, if you've a written agreement, then the Honda dealership should honour it. Simon, the clutch kit sold by the US suppplier has been discussed before as kept it in my Fleabay, think the Pauls (NSX2000 & Senninha) have mentioned about ordering one? Is this a reconditioned units as its sounds cheap? I thought about ordering one for a rainy day with the dollar exchange rate.

Boomin33
04-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Boomin33, if you've a written agreement, then the Honda dealership should honour it. Simon, the clutch kit sold by the US suppplier has been discussed before as kept it in my Fleabay, think the Pauls (NSX2000 & Senninha) have mentioned about ordering one? Is this a reconditioned units as its sounds cheap? I thought about ordering one for a rainy day with the dollar exchange rate.

yep they found the notes Ivan had made. full clutch assembly replace for £1000 - pretty good deal which will offset monies spent on exhaust bits.

simonprelude
05-06-2008, 06:40 AM
These are NEW Factory Genuine Acura Parts, and are specifically for the 1997-2005 NSX.

Simon, the clutch kit sold by the US suppplier has been discussed before as kept it in my Fleabay, think the Pauls (NSX2000 & Senninha) have mentioned about ordering one? Is this a reconditioned units as its sounds cheap? I thought about ordering one for a rainy day with the dollar exchange rate.

kowalski
05-06-2008, 08:10 AM
I got my last clutch from an ebay USA Acura dealer, it is definitely OEM and turned up in a Honda box.

Will get my next one from there as well, very good service.

leigh

WhyOne?
19-06-2008, 02:02 PM
It's a 3.2 so flywheel is inspection only, change if required.

This place seems good for the parts though............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220114660275

Acura of Lynwood have quoted me $1800 for a NA2 dual mass flywheel. Less than 50% of the price quoted to Boomin33 by Chiswick IIRC.

Total price for clutch assenbly + flywheel would be ~$2400.

kowalski
19-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Acura of Lynwood is where I got mine from, they are a good company.

leigh

WhyOne?
19-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Yes, they seem very friendly & switched on.

Big question is, should I spend ~£1200 on parts the car doesn't currently need (and particularly in the case of the flywheel) may well not need during it's tenure with me?!

mutley
19-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Where are you located? if it's not to far I would be able to tell you if your clutch is slipping or not, trust me I know these things!!!.

Jim

simonprelude
19-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Group purchase option ??

http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4985

Yes, they seem very friendly & switched on.

Big question is, should I spend ~£1200 on parts the car doesn't currently need (and particularly in the case of the flywheel) may well not need during it's tenure with me?!

WhyOne?
19-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Where are you located? if it's not to far I would be able to tell you if your clutch is slipping or not, trust me I know these things!!!.

Jim

Hi Jim......thanks for the kind offer.

I am 99.9% sure Y1's clutch is fine.

I get a little of the infamous NSX clutch judder at low rev's pulling away in 1st. Having researched this on Prime I am sure this is nothing which impacts the longevity of the clutch nor indicates it is on its way out. (It has being doing it for over 10,000 miles that I know of!)

No, the reason for my paranoia is simply that car has covered 46k miles and this seems to put it right into 'need a new clutch sometime soon' territory, and as I am visiting the US in a few weeks it am wondering whether to add a clutch / flywheel to my 'pre-emptive' parts list!

Senninha
19-06-2008, 05:58 PM
.........I get a little of the infamous NSX clutch judder at low rev's pulling away in 1st. ......It has being doing it for over 10,000 miles that I know of!

Ditto for S2 and I've had Brain at Nortons check it twice a year and IHO, it is fine. Certainly no sign off slippage to date.

Think I'll dip into the GB for a stock item once I know how the 'next' one is funded

regards, Paul

mutley
19-06-2008, 08:48 PM
All I can say is when the clutch stars to slip, you'll soon know about it. I have often thought about the idea of buying parts for the "just in case" scenario too, epecially with parts so cheap in the us.

As for replacement flywheel, I have done the clutch twince and still on the same flywheel, if I ever had to get the box off again (eek!) then I think I would go down the lightened flywheel route, but I won't change it just for the sake of it.

Jim