PDA

View Full Version : 6 pot ap

amo
05-06-2008, 12:41 PM
ok need some help been given a set of ap 6pot set up from my lovelyyy sponsours but i need a set of brackets made up for buy where can i get them any idea
need them asap

thx amo

TheSebringOne
05-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Did'nt Kevin had to adapt his bigger pot stoppers to fit?

dan the man
05-06-2008, 08:47 PM
AMO it will be easy to measure the centres but would u be able to measure the offset req?

markc
05-06-2008, 09:05 PM
AMO,

I'd approach AP Racing first. You need to know what disc size your going to be using which is itself partly determined by the calipers you have and only then can you determine where the caliper needs to sit relative to it and therefore the size of the bracket/spacer required.

I suspect the disc size will in the 325-330mm range but as I say approach AP or your sponsors to get the full spec of the calipers and their recommendation for the discs.

Kevin's brake mod is described here... http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=257

Mark

AR
05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Amo why not get them to make the spacers and fit them, that way if anything happens...is no your fault! :)

Kevin
06-06-2008, 05:23 AM
If only slapping on a set of 6 pots would cure all braking problems.

First, 6pot calipers may be too big for the master cylinder, it depends on the piston sizes. Yes the Fenns car has AP 6pots, but the calipers used on that has really small pistons.

Second, the calipers will be made for a certain thickness of disc. Only that thickness will fit. There is a range of diameters that the disc can be for the calipers to fit also. So you need to know the disc thickness first. Then look up the disc catalogue to see what sizes they come in and pick one. You will need the rotor to be 330mm diameter at least to be able to make a mounting bracket.

Once you have the disc thickness you need to work out what offset to place that disc. You want the disc to be mounted as close as poss to the suspension. Why? Becuase the OEM disc is 28mm thick. If you go to a 32mm disc, you want to try and change the offset to bring it closer to the suspension, so overall you're not making the whole brake assembly stick out too far from the centre line of the car.

Once you got that sorted, then you can look at mounting the caliper to fit the disc. For that you need the technical drawings for the caliper, which are usually available off the AP website. You can then measure from the car's mounting points to the new rotor to get offset and radial sizes.

If the caliper is more that 50mm wide from the disc face to the outside edge you will have a horrendous time getting them to fit under wheels. The Fenns had to have special wheels made to accomodate them. I know you have different wheels, but go now and meausure from the OEM disc face to the inside of the wheel spoke to see how much room you have to start with.

At the end of the day you will still end up with badly balanced brake system, as you have done nothing about the back end of the car. On a track it will suck.