PDA

View Full Version : Interesting info Jaguar???

craigdonnelly
12-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi NSX'ers,

I'm just off the phone from a lady from Jaguar HQ trying to find out the early history of my car. The lady used to work in the Vehicle Comparrison department. She remembers Jaguar buying a "few" NSX's to study because Jaguar was thinking of making a rival car. They bought them new and sold them in 2002. However they scrapped the project. She has taken my details and she will call me back with more information.

AR
12-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Please do tell...:)

When you find out that is.

I guess they wanted to build a fast, reliable and affordable ( to an extent ) supercar.

Cheers,

Ary

dan the man
12-06-2008, 05:03 PM
I know a guy who tested brakes at Jag and said that NSXs were always hard to get back from a slide :D

Greybloke
12-06-2008, 07:37 PM
A couple of years back I acquired two seats from a breaker who had just brought a selection of parts / panels from Jaguar. Apparently there were a number of test mules, running Jaguar engines? Obviously they could not sell the cars when they had finished with them, and so anything that was removable was stripped and sold to the trade.

I brought the seats so I could get my originals re covered and still use the car. Never got round to it and the seats remain in my garage:no: One day....

Like you my car has a interesting early history, having been originally registered to McLaren. Mr Senna's UK company car? either that or Mrs Dennis shopping runabout, who knows.;)

Do you have anything further from Jag?

markc
12-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi Greybloke, I thought you already knew but we're pretty sure that your car was Gordon Murray's personal transport while he was Chief Designer at McLaren and while he was also designing the F1 roadcar. He referred to the NSX as a benchmark for usability and refinement which he wanted for the F1.

As per this thread... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4681

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
12-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that SilverSurfer's is also an ex Maclaren car. Was run by the quality control mgr/dtr

Kare, any further data?

regards, Paul

NoelWatson
12-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Like you my car has a interesting early history, having been originally registered to McLaren. Mr Senna's UK company car? either that or Mrs Dennis shopping runabout, who knows.;)

Which NSX's did they use for McLaren F1 suspension evaluation?

markc
13-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi Noel, if you mean which model NSX, it would have been an early spec coupe not an NSX-R or Targa.

Mark

Greybloke
16-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi Greybloke, I thought you already knew but we're pretty sure that your car was Gordon Murray's personal transport

Wow, that's news to me. What makes you think this? I'd be very interested if you have any further info on this point.

Cheers

Greybloke
26-06-2008, 07:42 PM
MarkC
Any further info?
Guess I could write to McLaren to see if they could provide any history.
Anybody have any contacts, or suggest a point of inquiry?

markc
26-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi Greybloke, sorry not really. I've google'd Mr Murray and had a look through a few old books and mags but can't find any pics or details of him with his/your(?) car.

Simon(Prelude) might know a bit more as he keeps a database of reg and chassis numbers. Simon???

I'll keep looking.

Mark

Senninha
26-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Have a chat with SilverSurfer, his NSX is also exMaclaren, he may have details ....

If not, you could both just turn up at the factory in Woking and ask for Ron :)

Silver Surfer
28-06-2008, 12:13 AM
I'll phone up my cars' previous owner who works as the 'quality controller' for Maclaren and see if he has any more info.

SS

Greybloke
28-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys, any info would be appreciated. Obvioosly my car is not running it's original reg plate, but I know what it was.