PDA

View Full Version : NSX NA TUNING- opinions appreciated

jamieburke
05-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Anyone any experience of upgraded chips or ecu's on nsx's with I/H/E ?

Sounds like the next logical upgrade for someone looking to 'Lift the lid' on their std engines performance. Seems to work extremely well on K20's.

Also do such chips increase throttle response in midrange?

Or am I going to need ITB's for that....

Thanks

Jamie

AR
06-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Chips and the like will help but if you are going to want big power you need a fat wallet to go the NA way.

Have you done I/H/E properly?

Cheers,

AR

Kevin
06-07-2008, 11:55 AM
I have had a SuperChips chip. Big fat waste of money.

I now have a Mugen Racing ROM. Yes, it makes some difference. Though it's not going to turn the car into something else.

The dyno results from the first dyno day we did, showed my car as the most powerful 3.0 litre. I think up to 20bhp from the others. Most tuning options will make more power but ususally at the top end of the rev range, so great for the track, but the car will lose general everyday driving abilities.

AR
06-07-2008, 12:05 PM
I now have a Mugen Racing ROM. Yes, it makes some difference. Though it's not going to turn the car into something else.

I changed out the Mugen chip out of concern since it raises ( or removes ) the rev limiter.

Cheers,

AR

AR
06-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Check your PM Jamie.

Minch
17-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Revisit this thread?

I bought a Mugen chip from a member of the forum a long while ago and have only recently considered fitting a ZIF scoket so I can swap them out easily myself. As you say, I'm not so keen as it potentially removes the redline! Not a good idea!

After talking to a few guys on NSX Prime the chips from the USA won't be much kop as they are tuned to run on 91 or 93 Octane at best. Also looked into the AEM Programmable EMS from SOS but as I also found out on Prime it has its downsides. For instance you lose cruise control, TCS and the ability for the ECU to deal with different atmospheric conditions.

Just a guess but I would have thought a chip that has been tuned in Japan is probably the best solution as they run similar octane fuels to us. Does anyone have any links with *** tuners that supply any chips for a standard engine set-up?

NSXGB
17-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Revisit this thread?

I bought a Mugen chip from a member of the forum a long while ago and have only recently considered fitting a ZIF scoket so I can swap them out easily myself. As you say, I'm not so keen as it potentially removes the redline! Not a good idea!

After talking to a few guys on NSX Prime the chips from the USA won't be much kop as they are tuned to run on 91 or 93 Octane at best. Also looked into the AEM Programmable EMS from SOS but as I also found out on Prime it has its downsides. For instance you lose cruise control, TCS and the ability for the ECU to deal with different atmospheric conditions.

Just a guess but I would have thought a chip that has been tuned in Japan is probably the best solution as they run similar octane fuels to us. Does anyone have any links with *** tuners that supply any chips for a standard engine set-up?

I don't believe this to be true, it has (or at least the later version) has programable TCS.
I too was looking at the AEM EMS a short while ago, SOS basically advised me of very little gain for an NA car.

Minch
17-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Maybe its the earlier version as I know they are up to v2 now which has a smaller chassis.

I'm planning on making quite a few mods to the engine, all NA, so it might still be the way to go. Although I noticed as part of the SOS tune package they suggest there own chip to put into the standard ECU . . . I have tried to get hold of Chris at SOS for advice but he must be a busy man as he replied to a couple of emails then went silent.

What I wanted them to do was supply me the kit and any installtion info that would be useful so that someone here in the UK could carry out the work. Maybe I should just order myself the kit to get his attention! :) Trouble is that I still have no clue who to use. My other half's dad owns his own garage and has some very competent mechanics who rebuild engines. However I'm not sure whether I should go down the, for instance, the TDI route/Abbey motorsport route to carry out the mods or whether to let my future father-in-law do the work. After all and engine is just an engine whether it's an NSX or a Nissan Micra . . . am I right?

NSXGB
17-04-2009, 09:21 AM
...The EMS kit is very expensive from them, check out the US Ebay, will be a lot cheaper...in the region of $1k delivered.

It's up to you obviously but when I weighed it up, the predicted gains were so small I realised there were much better things to spend the money on....

Minch
17-04-2009, 10:19 AM
The cheaper units on eBay are the Mk1 version which is bigger than the OEM ECU. The Mk2 that SOS sell has a smaller chassis which fits easily in the OEM spot.

You're right though. Its a hell of a lot of money for an extra 5 BHP!

NSXGB
17-04-2009, 10:35 AM
I found 3 US vendors at the time that were selling the V2 chassis for around $1k delivered, that was something I was looking at. I even sent them pictures from the SOS web site to confirm! The V1 has been out of production I believe for over a year so if they are ordering from the dealer they will get the new one anyway.

The cheaper units on eBay are the Mk1 version which is bigger than the OEM ECU. The Mk2 that SOS sell has a smaller chassis which fits easily in the OEM spot.

You're right though. Its a hell of a lot of money for an extra 5 BHP!

Minch
17-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Ahhhhh! To be honest I think if you start playing around with the engine size and going for a 3.3-3.8 litre conversion then its probably worth it, much like if you were going to FI it.

amo
17-04-2009, 11:30 AM
best give sos a ring but they are shut on weekends

thx amo

Minch
17-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah, best idea.

NSXGB
17-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah, best idea.

Do you think you'd get a different answer to what I got then? :rolleyes:

simonprelude
17-04-2009, 01:19 PM
If an AEM only gives you 5bhp with I/H/E then I'd be looking at using a different tuner.
You should get greater than that from a standard car with an AEM EMS and a good tune.