PDA

View Full Version : Used brake pads question?

markdas
06-07-2008, 02:46 AM
Guys,

Just a question, well 2 really? Whats the concensus on buying used brake pads for any car, let alone a car like .....mmm an NSX for example?
For me its one of two big crimes you can commit if you drive any car not jsut a performance car....cheap tyres is the other!

Secondly, whats the deal with posts being removed from the forum - presumably if they do no get the approval of the thread owner???

Thanks

Mark

eclipse1501
06-07-2008, 08:16 AM
I always recommended used brake pads to my ex-girlfriend. When they found her she still had the note in her hand bag.
http://www.eriding.net/media/photos/environment/recycling/070524_cbrown_mp_env_recyc_044.jpg

AR
06-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I would no mind buying a set of used pads discs with plenty of life.

As for the othe question, you'll have to ask a member of staff here.

Cheers,

AR

Lankstarr
06-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I would say taht the labour cost is nearlya s much as the pad cost so you;d be better off sticking new ones on. Some of the performance pads are cheaper than OEM.

Luke

Ferris Bueller
06-07-2008, 05:36 PM
I always thought it was illegal to sell second hand brakes?

If not,I've got some Prelude Vtec pads in the garage if anyone wants them

AR
06-07-2008, 06:51 PM
The point is that if someone was selling brake system in good shape it should still work in your car. Of course if not DIY then it makes no sense.

Cheers,

AR

markdas
07-07-2008, 03:26 AM
Cheers guys,
It just strikes me that you spend 15-50K on a supercar the last thing you want is a second hand safety system bolted to it!

Don't get me wrong...in my youth, I managed to find just enough money to buy an old BMW 323i but then had to buy part worn tyres and Colway remoulds! madness.....

Anyway, each to their own but for me old pads on old or new discs doesn't go!

Happy stopping

Mark

eclipse1501
07-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Guys,

Just a question, well 2 really? Whats the concensus on buying used brake pads for any car, let alone a car like .....mmm an NSX for example?
For me its one of two big crimes you can commit if you drive any car not jsut a performance car....cheap tyres is the other!

Secondly, whats the deal with posts being removed from the forum - presumably if they do no get the approval of the thread owner???

Thanks

Mark

I also mentioned a 997 I had for sale in the For Sale section and that was deleted by forumadmin - probably because Iam a newbee or not contributed financially to this site yet....or maybe they did not like my comments on Prime.

mutley
07-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Second hand brakes sounds all a bit dodgy to me, when it comes to pad / disc replacement on any car I always go new.

Maybe on less powerfull cars, (example my BMW) I had to replace the read discs and as I have relatively new pads on there I kept the old ones, but as I said, that is not a performance car and rear pads don't do much on it anyway.

The NSX will always get new brakes from me.

Jim

TheSebringOne
07-07-2008, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't touch 2nd hand pads unless I know the car it came from & its history. TBH with something a vital as brakes I go new OEMs or reputable after markets ones!

As for rubbers, pick very carefully as OEM are virtually impossible to get and were originally designed for the set up, weight & performance of the NSX. Think Yokos are only one available recently? but no good in the wet! Pick the best tyre you can afford or ones that a newer version of the OEMs with same manufacturers as these will be closed as possible to the OEMs!