PDA

View Full Version : Speaker amp board.

nsx453
02-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi All.
My door speaker amp has blown and I cant find the component I need to repair it.
Has anyone had better luck with this problem?
If so, how and where did you get it resolved?
I have posted for a blown amp in the wanted forum so I can salvage the part from another board to solve my problem, fingers crossed!!!
Ttfn

Silver Surfer
02-08-2008, 01:48 PM
I suggest you dismantle the door speaker/amp unit and take it to a local TV technician and they can locate and replace the capacitor that has blown.......same old problem.

SS

nsx453
02-08-2008, 02:14 PM
A good idea SS but I have already done just that.
The TV tecky said he doesnt do components for 12 volt stereos.
Also tried sextons and other car audio firms with no luck.
The blown part is black, flat (approx 12mm square) with 3 ternimals .
I dont know much about electronics but I thought capacitors are round!

nigel
02-08-2008, 03:55 PM
S.S. is right. The Tele Tech should be able to get the capicitor sorted. It happens to most all the older boards.
If this is your first one then you might as well take all three at the same time as the other two are going to take a piss soon and you'll only have your car down once for this problem.
The A/C system board is also not far behind as well as it's the same capicitor.
Heat and age are the failing factors.
If you can't find anyone there, there's a guy in the states on the Prime site, (BrianK) that does all of them including my four, and he gurantees them for life.
Virtiually free compared to board replacement price.

Cheers
nigel

Kevin
02-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Not much of a TV techy then. Read the number off the transistor (thats what it is). Look it up on RS (rswww.com), and get the replacement part. That particular one is not available anymore, but compatible ones are. SS should know, I did his. The only time I have seen a transistor failure was following the capacitor failure. It's what the main problem is, the power supply caps go, and then possibly a transistor.

Replacement part is about £1.90. Get four, and do them all.

A good idea SS but I have already done just that.
The TV tecky said he doesnt do components for 12 volt stereos.
Also tried sextons and other car audio firms with no luck.
The blown part is black, flat (approx 12mm square) with 3 ternimals .
I dont know much about electronics but I thought capacitors are round!

Silver Surfer
02-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Not much of a TV techy then. Read the number off the transistor (thats what it is). Look it up on RS (rswww.com), and get the replacement part. That particular one is not available anymore, but compatible ones are. SS should know, I did his. The only time I have seen a transistor failure was following the capacitor failure. It's what the main problem is, the power supply caps go, and then possibly a transistor.

Replacement part is about £1.90. Get four, and do them all.

:bigsmile::thumbsup::beer:

SS

nsx453
03-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks to you all for the advice.
I have found a page on Prime which gave me the new transistor number required and it also recommends replacing 11 of the capacitors.
I believe Maplins stock all that I need so I will pop there today.
Cheers
Wayne