PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out

Lankstarr
26-08-2008, 09:53 AM
All,

My car has cut out on me twice now when I've come to a stop at lights - I thought I'd stalled it the first time but the second time was confirmation that something is going on!

Only happened twice in 2 weeks... tried to make it happen by stopping and starting with no joy.

Honda mentioned the battery was near the end of its useful life (and stilll under warranty from Halfrauds) could this be it?

Thanks,

Luke

Sudesh
26-08-2008, 10:15 AM
It's probably one of the best and easiest places to start and if your dealer thinks the battery is on its way out then I would definately change it. My X5 started to do this last year and although others told me it was the alternator I started with the battery first, which done the trick and no problems since!

eclipse1501
26-08-2008, 10:29 AM
My NSX did the same a long time ago. When I looked at the obvious bits and tested the battery it was indeed duff and after changing it (and a battery lead) I never had another problem. Otherwise check battery terminals/contact or did you fill up at a new petrol station somewhere with bad fuel - thats happened to me before too.

NSXGB
26-08-2008, 10:33 AM
If your battery was bad, would you be able to start it again straight away?

Main relay?

Lankstarr
26-08-2008, 01:35 PM
It started again no problem and hasn't shown any signs of trouble in the cold, dark mornings.

Honda said they would test the battery again if required and report to Halfrauds so I'll get it done asap.

I'm 2/3s of the way through a tank of shells; maybe I should have put petrol in instead:rolleyes:

If the petrol was bad I would have probably noticed by now I think.

Thanks for your input; it doesn't sound as if it will be too bad. I'm expecting something big to fail after 2 and a bit years of hassle free motoring... then I remember I have a Honda :D

L*

paulius
26-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Check main assembley relay.Its location is behind seats under back panel.Which year your nsx?I had this and as longer you drive its worster becomes.Check the battery but i would say all these answers from dealers about "your battery is dead mate" mostly of times is just load of b.....cs.:)

CrazyMixedUpKid
26-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi Luke,

Try giving the throttle body a clean - remove air box lid and rubber and spray a bit of carb cleaner in there - I use the Wynns stuff ... you might have some cr@p in there.

Just something to try.

Cheers
Paul

markdas
27-08-2008, 05:32 AM
Yep....if its not the battery, then I'd agree with the throttle body route next....not sure if th NSX has an idle stepper motor but if fitted these can also create issues like this, again carb cleaner will sort it out!

Mark

Lankstarr
27-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys.

just to check I'm not being a numpty...

I have a procar airbox, do I just need to remove the filter and give it a good clean with carbohydrate cleaner? Honda said they cleaned it at the last service but it's definitely worth a look!

The battery voltmeter in the car doesn't show any signs that I'm low on volts and i dd think they might be trying it on when that was flagged at the service!

L*

PS joke about the carbs... I'm not that technically brain dead!

simonprelude
27-08-2008, 01:08 PM
The voltmeter when the car is running is actually re the Alternator not the battery.

The battery voltmeter in the car doesn't show any signs that I'm low on volts and i dd think they might be trying it on when that was flagged at the service!

Sudesh
27-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys.

just to check I'm not being a numpty...

I have a procar airbox, do I just need to remove the filter and give it a good clean with carbohydrate cleaner? Honda said they cleaned it at the last service but it's definitely worth a look!

L*

PS joke about the carbs... I'm not that technically brain dead!

I also have an aftermarket induction system and when I cleaned my throttle body I removed the whole thing and the rubber piping that attaches to the throttle body. Then I cleaned the air filter/box, the pipe and inside the throttle body plus throttle gate. It was quite simple to do just take your time and its an easy DIY job.

CrazyMixedUpKid
27-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Luke - remove airbox / lid and the rubber bit that goes onto the throttle body. Push butterfly intake valve open on the throttle body (you might have to wedge it open with a screwdriver wrapped in a cloth) and spray cleaner into the throttle body using the 'straw' these things come with to spread it around in there. Dont go too mad or you'll have a job starting her up again. WARNING!! HOLD ON TO THE STRAW!! You don't want to run the risk of firing it into your engine!!

Lankstarr
27-08-2008, 07:19 PM
The voltmeter when the car is running is actually re the Alternator not the battery.

Obviously I knew that and was just testing you - you passed!

I'll have a go at cleaning the throttle body - thanks Sudesh and Paul.

Luke

AR
27-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Luke since you installed the test pipes have you rsetted the ECU? Did they come with bungs for the O2 sensors?

I had similar problems on my 3.2 anbd they went away with an ECU reset.

Cheers,

Ary

amo
27-08-2008, 09:43 PM
sorry mate but i got my money on the ignition switch mmmmmmmmmm

bet its that cant be the battery or it would not start as you said dont think its anything else.

thx amo

AR
28-08-2008, 03:45 PM
sorry mate but i got my money on the ignition switch mmmmmmmmmm

bet its that cant be the battery or it would not start as you said dont think its anything else.

thx amo

IIRC you had that problem too when you first got the beast.

Lankstarr
29-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Luke since you installed the test pipes have you rsetted the ECU? Did they come with bungs for the O2 sensors?

I had similar problems on my 3.2 anbd they went away with an ECU reset.

Cheers,

Ary

The o2 sensors screw into the test pipes.

I don't think it could be related to the pipes as I've done a thousand miles or so since they were fitted and only just had a problem.

It's not recurred since and I'll get the battery looked at by HOnda as soon as my a/c parts arrive from Delray Acura (£100 instead of £500 over here!).

Still, good to have different options to look at in case all else is fixed and it happens again - thanks!

Luke