PDA

View Full Version : RE050 vs RE050a

BabyG
10-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Has anyone got any views on why I should choose the asymmetric RE050 or not? I'm replacing (symmetric) RE050s which are good, up front I've got part worn RE040s that still have plenty of life in them. I'd guess the asymmetric would be the superior tyre - anyone got any experience either way?

Rich

simonprelude
10-11-2008, 12:55 PM
I've just gone for the S2000 OEM rear fitment as I couldn't get hold of the RE050 BZ's that I was previously using, that's all Bridgestone said they had also.

£100 + VAT each fitted also :(

ian dc5
19-11-2008, 06:44 PM
I have these fitted to my Integra DC5, i spoke to Bridgestone technical department at some length over tyres, they were surprisingly helpful.

I was looking at the japanese bridgestone website and discovered that Japanese and european tyres are not the same in terms of the load rating on the side wall, and 88W in JDM spec is a 96W in Euroland.

The 50A has the outer 1/4 of the tyre for dry use with enhanced grip coming for this section when corning hard and the other 3/4 is for normal use and moving water.

You may also be surprised that the brisgestone letter designatiosn actually mean something, this is the CZ, EZ, MZ etc, they are made specifically for manufactures, most tyre fitting place have no idea so make sure you specify them correctly. I have no idea what the NSX fitment should be, by fior the Integra i have CZ which were standard Scooby STI fitment until the recent release of RE070.

The JDM tyres my car came with were so much better than what i have fitted, but you can't get them.

The new JDM civic is fitted with RE070 as standard, my friend has one and says the grip is fantastic and doesnt notice any tyre roll, but the sidewalls are stiff (agian these are JDM fitment so the load rating are not comparable) he got 6k out of the fronts.

I got 8k out of the 50A, i will be fitting RE070's next. They dry grip is pretty good, i preferd the JDM RE040, but these are so different to the UK version you can not compare. Caution is required in the wet, but 240hp through the front wheels in the wet is maybe not a good example.