PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Problems..

Rash
19-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi all,
everytime i touch the volume buttom on my 92JDM stereo (Standard item) all i seem to get is a load of static sound coming form the speakers.. The CD can be heard if i let go of the volume buttom but it gets a little annoying after a while..!! So is it the stereo thats faulty or the speakers or something inbetween :)

Cheers

amo
21-11-2008, 04:22 AM
hi mate ok just me thinkin out loud could be a bad earth on the speakers. I'd take the speakers out and amps and re-wire them easy job
Thx amo

AR
21-11-2008, 11:09 AM
I reckon the amps are gone mate.

TheSebringOne
21-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Think its the amp too as a few members have had the same problem. It does'nt help if you crank it up to near max levels.

nigel
22-11-2008, 03:59 AM
It's the amps. Have all three sorted while your at it. If one goes, the rest aren't far behind.
Get with Kevin and he'll get you sorted.
There's also some previous threads on the subject of which capicators are bad and how to fix them if you care to do it yourself. Just do a search and you'll find them.
By the by, while you have your speakers out you should have the ECU done as well as the same capicator that's in the speaker amps is in the ECU control panel and it to will go bad as well and you might as well have them all done at the same time.

Cheers
nigel

NSXGB
22-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Do you get popping after you have set the volume or just when adjusting it?

If you don't, then IMO the volume potentiomerter in the head unit is NFG.

Rash
22-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi,
thanks for the replies.. The noise only occurs when i am adjusting the buttom - not before or after.. May well change the speakers/amps and wiring just for the sake of it anyway....

Cheers all

nigel
23-11-2008, 01:36 AM
As the old addage states, "Don't replace the crankshaft if all it needs is an air filter!".
Again, get with Kevin before you go to all that trouble, he has some experience with this sort of thing.

Cheers
nigel

rkanaga
26-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Surely if you get a static sound only when you turn the volume knob, and the sound is ok at other times it is simply a case of the volume potentiometer having gone bad? I would imagine you need to take the head unit to any competent radio repairer to have the volume potentiometer replaced?

Robin