PDA

View Full Version : Clock and Vent Surround...painting...

NSXGB
07-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Anyone done this?

Without having to take mine apart at the moment for a look, does the surround come away from the clock and vent to make painting it easier?
Also I read some reference on Prime to the paint bubbling up after painting these parts (also the ctr console) due to the electroplating...WTF, electroplated plastic, that's a new one on me???

Sudesh
07-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Anyone done this?

Without having to take mine apart at the moment for a look, does the surround come away from the clock and vent to make painting it easier?
Also I read some reference on Prime to the paint bubbling up after painting these parts (also the ctr console) due to the electroplating...WTF, electroplated plastic, that's a new one on me???

Yes the clock and vents can all be taken out/seperated from the rest. I done it on mine and then had it covered with alcantara.

I would also agree that the paint could bubble up due to that very fact.

I had my console completely stripped back and I can tell you it's a horrible job. I tried various chemicals, paint strippers, peeling it off by hand and eventually gave up and handed it to a professional to do correctly. The centre console starts off as just ABS plastic, its then coated/plated in a foil type base and then painted.

If you can completely strip the panel back to the plastic then it wont bubble up if you repaint it, as its the foil/electroplating that causes the problems.

NSXGB
07-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Ahh, I see, there is foil in there. Sounds like an overcomplicated design by Honda there...

Who or where would you go to to get the stuff removed? I'm potentially only going to paint the clock surround as the new centre console is frp.

Good news that they come apart, thanks Sudesh.

Sudesh
07-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Ahh, I see, there is foil in there. Sounds like an overcomplicated design by Honda there...

Who or where would you go to to get the stuff removed? I'm potentially only going to paint the clock surround as the new centre console is frp.

Good news that they come apart, thanks Sudesh.

Yeah the electroplating is the foil part, its hard to describe but its like a very thin mirror type metal, that’s pressed onto the plastic. I did have a pic somewhere, if I find it I'll post it up.
I left my console with a company that works with building custom cars and audio builds etc. They done everything for me with regards to modifying my console for the TV plus fitted the Alcantara and stripping the console.
However I did take it first to a body shop as my initial idea was to respray the console before I choose the Alcantara route. The body shop I took it too were pretty confident that they could strip the console ok and with a professional respray they said it wouldn’t bubble again.

Also be very careful with the clock surround if you start to strip it back. I found that when the electroplating was peeled off at the top of the surround, it actually split on me in the middle, and small cracks appeared! I think the reason for this could be due to over the years having heat and possibly sunlight coming through the windscreen it made the surround brittle underneath, but you wouldnt notice as the electroplating held it together. Its no really a major problem and easy enough fixed, but something to keep an eye on.

jaytip
07-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Here is a photo of my first NSX.I stripped out the centre console and just took it to a bodyshop and asked them to spray it silver.Never had any problems with it bubbling in the time i had the car after it was done.I don't know what procedure they used though sorry,but i'm guessing that unless you have a problem with it bubbling in the first place,i don't see why it would need to be stripped right back.After all a car is not stripped back to bare metal before a respray,unless of course you are paying huge money on a show level respray.

AR
07-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Sudesh I think that the electroplating was only on certain JDM and USDM models. I am not sure the UK models have it???

NSXGB
07-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Sudesh I think that the electroplating was only on certain JDM and USDM models. I am not sure the UK models have it???

If that's the case, I think I'll paint mine and see what happens.

I suppose there must be a reason for it like to stop it cracking?

Sudesh
07-12-2008, 06:07 PM
You could be right Ary? I'm just going by my own JDM car and the bubbling affect it started to show on the console and now on the door trims, but I'm going to have them covered in alcantara over the next few months.

NSXCB: Take a good look around your console and door trims for any signs of bubbling at all, or even a silvery look as sometime the bubbling will just come off and you will notice the silvery/mirror finish of the electroplating. If anything is showing on any of those items chances are its the same for UK cars too. Or maybe some other members with UK cars can advise if there trims started bubbling at some point.

NSXGB
07-12-2008, 06:13 PM
NSXCB: Take a good look around your console and door trims for any signs of bubbling at all, or even a silvery look as sometime the bubbling will just come off and you will notice the silvery/mirror finish of the electroplating. If anything is showing on any of those items chances are its the same for UK cars too. Or maybe some other members with UK cars can advise if there trims started bubbling at some point.

All mine are good....Have you had your dash covered in Alcantra yet? That will be my next project...

Sudesh
07-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Not the whole dash just the console, A pllars, door entry pads and roof inserts but having the whole roof done over the winter period.

Was thinking of doing the dash possibly at a later date but I'm keeping my eye out for a damaged NSX-R in Japan so I can take the bits I want off it lol!

Senninha
08-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Mine is a UK car and has been painted for over 5 years now and still looks good. I'd suggest that if the curren tsurface is in good condition then you could use a very fine grade wet'n'dry then build up the paint in thin layers to get the desired result.

Hope all goes well

regards, Paul

Lankstarr
09-12-2008, 06:42 AM
There was me thinking you guys were going to be talking about some sort of painting of the centre console... a picasso a la console or summin:laugh:

No bubbling on my UK car. Interested to see what the alcantara covered looks like.

Simon, to match the FRP are you thinking high gloss black?

Sudesh, I wonder how many other people are waiting for NSX-R bits in Japan! If you could bring a wreck over for cheap and turn yours into an R that would be a very worthwhile project!

L*

NSXGB
09-12-2008, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure what colour I want now, I was going to go for Sebring but seeing the one above I'm thinking of satin black again. Probably better to go for a satin to reduce windscreen glare. . .

Would be interested to see your alcantra console Sudesh. . .

Lankstarr
09-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Thought you were more of a "pink" man myself.

Oh well, live and learn.

L*

Senninha
09-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Thought you were more of a "pink" man myself.

Oh well, live and learn.

L*
No, that would be Paul (NSX 2000) who really should have bought the Monza (Pink) Red 55 :laugh:

Lankstarr
09-12-2008, 12:40 PM
That car has spent most of its life for sale... seriously it's always for sale!

Paul made the right choice investment wise but you're right; he's definitely in denial;)

L*

Sudesh
09-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah Luke, I've kinda gone down that route already with alot of the items that have been removed from my car and then adding some new NSX-R items, along with some other bits like that engine cover when I get it.

There have been a few damaged ones popped up lately including the Type-S. They are "break only" cars so not for repair, I'm not looking for a salvagable car anyway, only looking for one I can get most of the interior out of and some other bits. Problem is, I need to get it cheap enough so that when I add the shipping costs and duties its worth buying.

Heres a pic from my trade screen of the Type-S.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/D-NSX-S-1.jpg

Sudesh
09-12-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure what colour I want now, I was going to go for Sebring but seeing the one above I'm thinking of satin black again. Probably better to go for a satin to reduce windscreen glare. . .

Would be interested to see your alcantra console Sudesh. . .

Personally I wouldnt go for too bright of a color, ends up looking cheap and nasty. You could go with a dark silver/titanium look too.
Heres a few pics to give you an idea of some ideas:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/958214_5.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/IMGP1591.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/1180-6.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/NSX5.jpg

Sudesh
09-12-2008, 01:20 PM
This is the OEM NSX-R console, I originally wanted a color similar to this but couldnt find anything. Then when I got my NSX-R steering colum covers I noticed that certain trims on the NSX-R are finished in a strange texture. ie, the centre console, steering surround, door tims and instrument cluster bezel.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/honda-nsx-18afbbd287.jpg

So I decided to go with Alcantara which looks like this:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/Picture078.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/DSC01562.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/DSC01557.jpg

Sudesh
09-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm planning on doing the arm rest in the same alcantara also to continue the flow.

TheSebringOne
09-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Sudesh, the interior updates so far are great & a modern refresh.

There seems to be a BBQ tray in the passenger well of that NSX R!

Sudesh
10-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Sudesh, the interior updates so far are great & a modern refresh.

There seems to be a BBQ tray in the passenger well of that NSX R!

Thanks! yeah I'm quite pleased with most of the updates, those pics are a few months old now, and I've added a few new NSX-R bits that arnt showing.