PDA

View Full Version : Valve Clearance Quandary

nationofzeros
11-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi all - time for an intermediate service for the trusty NSX-R which supposedly involves checking (& presumably adjusting if necessary) the valve clearances

The local HONDA dealership (STRATSTONE Doncaster) although highly competent, are understandably somewhat nervous about getting into this having never done this on an NSX before

The engine is running fine - never more eager to please

Question ; do people generally actually check / adjust valve clearances or is this an unnecessary luxury / expense if everything is on song ??

Thanks

Chris

TheQuietOne
11-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Chris,

I'm in the same quandray actually. I had my 72,000 mile service (I think) done a few months ago and the v/c were due. I put it off at the time to save the £220 they wanted as I knew I wasn't going to drive it for the ensuing months due to work. I've done about 500 miles since and the car is running perfectly and sounding great. I was wondering whether to make the pilgrimage to a NSX approved place such as Norton Way to get them done, although my local garage (Worcester) are happy doing it.

I'll wait to see others responses too :D.

Cheers,

Matt.

britlude
11-12-2008, 09:46 PM
I adjusted mine as they were a little tappety when the engine was warmed up, tho that might have been more to do with the lost-motion-assemblies. However, i found they did need adjusting. it is a straight forward job, tho the rear bank is fiddly, it's not a difficult thing to do!

if it's making enough top end noise to concern you then get them adjusted, if not then don't!

eclipse1501
12-12-2008, 05:51 AM
Had mine done on NA1 just last week by an ex Honda man. As well as a bit quieter also feels a small % better in power to me. He did tell me he borrowed the tools from Honda dealership.

nationofzeros
12-12-2008, 08:48 PM
OK thanks guys - I think I will try to persuade them to have a (careful) go
Cheers

Chris

AR
13-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Hi all - time for an intermediate service for the trusty NSX-R which supposedly involves checking (& presumably adjusting if necessary) the valve clearances

The local HONDA dealership (STRATSTONE Doncaster) although highly competent, are understandably somewhat nervous about getting into this having never done this on an NSX before

The engine is running fine - never more eager to please

Question ; do people generally actually check / adjust valve clearances or is this an unnecessary luxury / expense if everything is on song ??

Thanks

Chris

They only need to check them, but IMHO it would be pointless as I had that work done by Ryland Honda less than two years ago with a new timing belt. The cam plugs were also change as well as the spool seals. barry should have given you a folder, is all there.

Cheers,

AR

nationofzeros
14-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks Ary, a bit more heat off the credit card during the festive season never goes amiss. I think HONDA DONCASTER will be relieved to be taken down from DEFCON 4 on this one - anxiety levels seemed to be running high despite my reassuring noises that website experience testifies that it is relatively easy

BR

Chris