PDA

View Full Version : Excellent NSX for sale ad

Senninha
14-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Despite the current view about comments on cars for sale, I just had to post this for comment about the advert itself, not the car. Spotted on US auction, this, on the face of it, has to be one of themost honest ad's I've seen in ages. It also makes for a light hearted read :)

The Black on Black NSX of Doom

I bought this black-on-black leather 5-speed mid engine Acura NSX-T (convertible) new in 1995, and I have been the only owner, and have kept all the repair records. It now has 102k miles and though well-serviced mechanically, it has not been aesthetically pampered. Dents, scratches, tears, etc. See the pics. Runs really well, though. Has always been super dependable and very fun to drive.

The car is in great mechanical shape, and I have kept good care of the insides and kept maintenance records, but I have not babied this vehicle aesthetically. It has a fittingly "distressed" look. I have parked it outdoors, and I have used it to commute, though at 102k miles over 13 years, I haven't commuted much. A goodly chunk of the mileage was spent on road trips between Dallas and Austin.

I am selling it because I am coming up on my 40th birthday and my testosterone is now low enough to make me feel guilty that someone packing more isn't enjoying it. Obviously, it's up to the winning bidder what you'd like to do with it, but I suspect it would make a really cool first car / Christmas gift / early graduation gift for a man coming of age. You could spend this kind of money on a new and probably dorky car, but studies have clearly shown that teenagers forced to drive dorky vehicles feel a kind of mortified that mere adults can no longer comprehend. I think this beats the dorky alternative by a wide margin. This is a very sexy, fun way to get around. It loves curvy roads and places where you can take the top off and enjoy the breeze.

It also has an interesting history.

I am posting the car Dec 10, 2008, because it's the 15 year anniversary of the release of the game Doom. I was one of the programmers, and I bought the car new with proceeds from the game in my 20s when more testosterone was pumping through my veins.

I am guessing it would be a cool car for a Doom fan to have. It's a ton of fun to drive, does actually look quite pimpin when washed and waxed, and when dirty, it has a kind of cool, distressed "my beater, the NSX" look, like something you drove to Burning Man.

Doom Goodies

I'm also including some of my Doom stuff with the car. One is a Doom T-shirt with "Wrote it." written on the back. These were only given to the development team, and there were only about 8 of us. It's been washed many times and is one of those rare T-shirts that looks really good faded. It is XL, but it has shrunk to about L.

Another Doom goodie is a boxed copy of the original game for the PC that was framed unopened. I doubt these are very common, because I am pretty sure you had to mail order them, and they're a funny size and don't come in shrink wrap.

The last one is a hand-made, comissioned Doom sweater I had made in Dallas for about $400 by a lovely woman who hand-knitted it from scratch, doing a fine-grained, dithered blend from dark red to light red for the gradient. It's extremely meticulous and well done, and she had to look hard for just the right shades of yarn. The colours are all spot on, and it's a big sweater, can easily fit an XL.

Rendering technology

It has a new clutch. The factory toe-in suspension was long ago corrected by the dealer, and the sticky tires were replaced with hard composites. Doing this dramatically improved tire life from roughly 7000 mi to well over 20000 mi.

The car features a lifetime of being driven as if by a grandmother, as I ironically don't like driving in general and was quickly cured of driving fast by a rapid succession of speeding tickets during my first few years of ownership.

The antenna unit has been replaced, as has the passenger side electric window motor. The right headlight is burned out and needs replacing. Priced the bulbs online for about $10 if you're feeling DIY.

Art direction

The left fender has a crunch in it from a hit-and-run while the car was parked. The rims are scratched from my consistently poor understanding of where the curb is when parallel parking. The passenger seat has a tear from a very fat, legendary programmer who sat in it once.

Some of the louvers on the door vents are broken. The CD changer in the trunk is badly designed and broke long ago. Some of the plastic on the various console knobs has gotten nice and bubbly from exposure to the sun. The vents and heat work, but the air conditioning is currently broken and even when new, was always anemic.

There are lots of little scratches and random goofs on bits of the doors and hood. Someone decided it would be fun to "egg" the car, really nailed it good on the driver's side door. Pretty hard to spot, but you can see faint little lines crazing the paint if you look carefully.

I removed the 1-inch tall plastic "skirt" that goes just below the front of the car, because it would always scrape on the ground as the car's clearance made it almost unusable going in and out of driveways. This turned out to be a huge improvement, and I don't recommend replacing it.

Despite all this surface frump, the sexy lines of the car beam through like a beautiful woman trying desperately to hide pneumatic decolletage under a sweatshirt. It just doesn't work, and looks all the more appealing and approachable to those with cardar.

Practical Exotic Transportation

The car is surprisingly practical, despite technically being "exotic" transportation.

I regularly took the car shopping and could comfortably fit 3 shopping bags in the back (and another 3 in the passenger seat and foot well). The trunk can also fit two pieces of meaty carry-on luggage, and served dutifully for many trips to the airport.

And surprisingly, the mileage isn't that bad. It does about 25mpg on the highway, almost 20mpg in the city.

Mechanically, the car has proven itself a Honda over the years. It is extremely reliable.

In closing

I had a lot of grand adventures in this car, including key moments such as riding in the trunk, stuffing the passenger seat with two exotic dancers, and commuting between Dallas and Austin to make the game Abuse, amoungst many others. I think there are a lot of adventures left in it.

Happy to accept cashier's check, money order, cash, or personal check (will ship once cleared) in payment. The car and I are in Santa Monica, CA, and I will help arrange ship/pick-up to your specification.

Dave J
21-12-2008, 08:13 PM
That's a brilliant ad!! How more honest could he be, he's certainly enjoyed his car to the full :). That's a great find!

Nick Graves
02-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Great Ad and an interesting story!

I eschew computer games, but it's pleasing to read of someone's success in that industry.