PDA

View Full Version : headlights

shane
16-12-2008, 09:46 PM
hi all, tonight i got into the car and the headlights would go on but wouldn pop up.iv checked the fuses and no sign, the relay does make a clicking sound when turned on, is this normal?
anyone got any ideas?

shane

Sudesh
16-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Shane check the "popup switch" on the bezel around the cluster.

From our previous phone call conversation, if that switch goes faulty or the plug has been stretched up the pins, so they arnt actually going into the female socket correctly, it may affect the lights from raising and falling. Hope that makes sense lol. If not give me a buzz sure, you know the number.

shane
17-12-2008, 09:43 PM
well after a wile working out the problem iv narrowed it down to two relays, the ones in the fuse box just above the spare wheel (the brown ones)
any of you guys got any spare

Sudesh
17-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Is that in the wee long black box above the spare wheel??

Its probably not that expensive new from the dealer.

RELAY ASSY, POWER (4P) (RC-2226) (BROWN) (MITSUBA

Part number: 39794-SL0-J01

Best to check with the dealer first though as I'm not sure if that's the exact one, and also Honda sometimes supercede the parts numbers with new ones.

shane
17-12-2008, 10:27 PM
yea thats her, will check tomorrow

you were right about the tc switch, just had to push it in tight. cable tied that part of the loom to support the plug.

thanks for that

shane

Sudesh
17-12-2008, 10:39 PM
No problem Shane!

On the TC, Thats good, a minor fault sorted.

shane
22-12-2008, 10:05 PM
this maybe nothing but has anyone noticed (or know for what reason) a red warning light on the cluster.its the shape of the popups and in the same place which shows if a door isnt shut proper.
i have the relays out and use i bit of wire to cross terminal 3 and 5 to put them up and down, saves me screwing them!
i have ordered new relays ( 45 quid each!!) from honda and i really hope they sort it.
has anyone ever had this light on? if so what was relays the problem?
im wondering if it will show up when crossing the service connector (will try tomorrow)

any info much appreciated

shane

Sudesh
22-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Not sure what warning light your describing?

Is the warning light showing in that kind of, triangle shaped display, in the centre of the guage cluster that has the outline of the car?

Take a look at the pic

shane
22-12-2008, 10:41 PM
yea it is. its at the windscreen area. is there any other fuses boxes apart from the 3 under the hood the one in the engine bay?

Sudesh
22-12-2008, 10:45 PM
yea it is. its at the windscreen area. is there any other fuses boxes apart from the 3 under the hood the one in the engine bay?

There is a fuse box on the inside of the car, its on the passanger side foot well. Have you not got your hand book that comes with the car?

Sudesh
22-12-2008, 10:56 PM
On this pic, The interior fuse box is located where the RED marks is.

shane
22-12-2008, 10:57 PM
ahh rite ok. im going out now to check it out. if its there that the problem is i will kick myself in the head!!

thanks

Sudesh
22-12-2008, 10:59 PM
No worries!

I can think off the top of my head, what warning light would be showing at the windscreen??

I'll have a look in my hand book.

Sudesh
22-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Shane I had a look in my book.

Is the warning light your refering too pictured in front of the windscreen on the bonnet? Must be as its the only one in the book.

Anyway, it's to indicate that either the headlight door [pop up] fails to completely open or close.

Sudesh
22-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Heres a pic from my book

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/DSC01934.jpg

shane
22-12-2008, 11:14 PM
yea it shows a pop up light in red
just checked them fuses and its a no go.

as i said earlier about using wire to cross 3 and 5 to move the lights, would that only leave the relay being the problem.
i dont understand how both relays arnt workin

shane

shane
22-12-2008, 11:18 PM
ahh that mite be my timing with the wire, i will raise them manually to see if it goes off

thanks for all the help
shane

Sudesh
22-12-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm not really sure on the pop up system, I only had one problem with mine which turned out to be the switch on the dash. It wasnt faulty, but plug had shifted on the pins so the connection wasnt great. All that was needed was for the plug to be pushed down the pins and all is fine since!

First thing I would do is obviously replace the fuses and the relays, if that doesnt help, then I would check the switch, and finally if its still not working, then I would start looking at the head light motors and possibly checking the connections and making sure power is actually getting to the motors etc.

shane
23-12-2008, 06:12 PM
hello all,
Sudesh i got the two relays earlier and its a no go. not sure if honda will take them back either.
could anyone tell me if the two relays behind the passenger headlight clicks when turning the lights on.
i done some research last nite and found out that there is some sort of control unit between the seats so i will have to check power and switches.

thanks
shane

Sudesh
23-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Turning out to be a bit of a strange one!

Probably a silly question, but have you replaced the fuses, checked the pop up switch etc and tried everyting with the new relays fitted?

There is a control module for the headlights, but I cant remember if its between the seats or behind the seats.

Its number 7 on this parts pic:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/13SL00_006_3.png

mutley
24-12-2008, 03:21 PM
HI Shane,

I think the 2 relays you are refering to are the retracting relays. Do you have the workshop manual? If you do there is a full wiring diagram for the headlight system showing all components etc.

If you don't have one, then let me know I think I have a few left (and if not I can burn one and send it to you).

As I said in PM, I still have the same problem as you just now, and I think one of my motors has now seized, so it's a job on the back burner for now for me.

Will be interested to hear your solution when you find it.

Jim