PDA

View Full Version : heater/blower/AC head unit

mutley
05-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Hi All,

Anyone had this problem. Now when I start my car, the heater control unit comes on, but now after a few mins it switches off, totally dead. When driving it will come on again for a few seconds then dies again.

Sometiems it flickers a bit, like when you get a loose wire or loose connection, but all seem fine.

Do you think the main circuit board is in the way out?

Jim

nigel
05-01-2009, 05:56 AM
Hi All,

Anyone had this problem. Now when I start my car, the heater control unit comes on, but now after a few mins it switches off, totally dead. When driving it will come on again for a few seconds then dies again.

Sometiems it flickers a bit, like when you get a loose wire or loose connection, but all seem fine.

Do you think the main circuit board is in the way out?

Jim

James,
Yes!

Cheers
nigel

markc
05-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Jim, could be the a/c circuit board. Some electronic components fail on it after few years leading to intermitant operation and various failure types.

Look here (and the sub thread contained in it) for some advice and potential repair options... http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=5193&highlight=capacitors&page=2

Cheers

Mark

mutley
05-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Hurumph,

Thanks guys, I was thinking it was something along those lines when I saw that places like Dali were offering a repair service.

Not too sure how I'm going to go about the repair yet, but I think I'l have to whip it out and have a look at the circuit board for any obvious capacitor failures.

Jim

nsx60
05-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Sounds exactly like how mine started to go , not being brave enough to tackle the electrics i sent it to scienceof speed for a re-furb , cost a couple of hundred dollars and was back to me within 2 weeks i think , now works as good as it ever did , which you will know as an owner is still a bit crap compared to other cars !!!!!
steve

mutley
05-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Sounds exactly like how mine started to go , not being brave enough to tackle the electrics i sent it to scienceof speed for a re-furb , cost a couple of hundred dollars and was back to me within 2 weeks i think , now works as good as it ever did , which you will know as an owner is still a bit crap compared to other cars !!!!!
steve

HAHA yeah mybe not the best, but any blower is better than none, the last time I was out in the car it was freezing outside but I had to keep the windows open to stop it steaming up.

Jim

NSXGB
05-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Mutley, if you are ok with a soldering iron, do it yourself. Will cost you about £2 on parts from Maplin to replace all the caps.
I gave mine to a tv repair man who done it for £30 ish.

Loads of stuff on here and Prime with all the info you ned for a diy....

mutley
05-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Mutley, if you are ok with a soldering iron, do it yourself. Will cost you about £2 on parts from Maplin to replace all the caps.
I gave mine to a tv repair man who done it for £30 ish.

Loads of stuff on here and Prime with all the info you ned for a diy....
Yeah, well I am not too sure. I'll probably have a look at it first and if easy enough I'll have a bash, if not then telly repair man it is!

Those that know me here will know I am more of a nuts and bolt mech than a sparkie.

Jim

Kaz-kzukNA1
05-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi, Jim.

If you can remove the centre console carefully,then it is quite easy to check the circuit board insdie the Climate Control Unit (CCU).

Once you have managed to take the CCU out of the car, then remove this screw on each side

and another one at the back. This is the one holding the circuit board inside the case.

Then, slide the circuit board out of the case like this.

There are 13 capacitors to be checked. Look for any leakage like this one.

If you are willing to go for the DIY route, then as others mentioned, you can get hold of the capacitors through Maplin, Farnell UK, RS and so on.
Ideally, it is best to replace all of them (13 caps) and not just the leaked ones.
Clean the circuit board to remove any leakage from the cap before soldering the new one in.
If the leakage was severe, it could damage the circuit track and you may need to use the jump wire like mine ....

Regards,
Kaz

mutley
05-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Kaz,

That was a fantastic post, nice one. I have a CF console so no probs removing it, as for the DiY job, not too sure about that,as I have mentioned I'm, more mech that elec, but will have a look at it. as for jumper wires, thats way over me, I wouldn't know what to jump to where.

Don't suppose you fancy doing it? HEHEHE

Jim

06-01-2009, 03:35 PM
I think mine has gone and was looking at ways to go about getting it fixed.

I know what you mean by driving around with the windows down....god it gets cold but still alot of fun :)

I used RainX demister on the inner windscreen which helped a little when i was driving......

Cheers,

Andy

mutley
06-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Ahhhh in a way I am glad that is is a (relatively) comon fault and there are others that share my pain HAHA.

I will be taking it apart this weekend and I'll keep you all posted onwhat I find.

Jim

06-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi Jim,

That would be cool :).....good luck with it!!

Cheers,

Andy

Brendan Larkin
22-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi, Brendan here (newest member).

I recently acquired a 93 NSX, beautiful. I bought it with full knowledge that heater and a/c controls were not working. On stripping it out it is 2 logic boards and nobody I know (West Yorkshire) dare touch these. Honda quoted £1700 replacement.

Is there a better way?

Brendan Larkin
22-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi, Jim.

If you can remove the centre console carefully,then it is quite easy to check the circuit board insdie the Climate Control Unit (CCU).

Once you have managed to take the CCU out of the car, then remove this screw on each side

and another one at the back. This is the one holding the circuit board inside the case.

Then, slide the circuit board out of the case like this.

There are 13 capacitors to be checked. Look for any leakage like this one.

If you are willing to go for the DIY route, then as others mentioned, you can get hold of the capacitors through Maplin, Farnell UK, RS and so on.
Ideally, it is best to replace all of them (13 caps) and not just the leaked ones.
Clean the circuit board to remove any leakage from the cap before soldering the new one in.
If the leakage was severe, it could damage the circuit track and you may need to use the jump wire like mine ....

Regards,
Kaz
Hey Kaz, where do you get this done?

Brendan Larkin
22-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Anybody know anybody in the west yorkshire area (other than TV repair man) who can look at my circuit boards? Brendan

mutley
22-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Anybody know anybody in the west yorkshire area (other than TV repair man) who can look at my circuit boards? Brendan

Brendan,

I know that companies in the US "like Science of Speed) offer this repair service. I am currently waiting on parts from them, and as soon as I receive them and know that they are reliable (I have very little doubts as only heard good things about them) I'll get in touch again and ask how much they would charge to repair.

If it is fairly reasonable, maybe we (and anyone else who needs) could send them all off together to get repaired?

just a thought

Jim

22-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I think I may join in on that....if I cant find another solution :)

Cheers,

Andy

NSXGB
22-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Brendan, Why would you not want a TV repair man looking at it?

The electronics in this board are 20 years old and very simple....not rocket science even for a lowly TV repair man....

Kaz-kzukNA1
22-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey Kaz, where do you get this done?
Hi, Brendan.

I normally carry out this repair after work but if there is enough demand, I'll consider doing this on a regular basis. Just need to review several things including the risk of parcel gone missing.

Probably the most time consuming thing is the testing of the board before/after the repair and taking the photos of leakage for the owner. If the damage is too bad (such as the leakage into the area of IC) then just replacing the caps won't fix the issue. Also, if the board was left too long under the damaged condition, the leakage would break the circuit track which will require jumper wires. Just needs little bit more time to think about these points in order to support NSX owners with extra touch.

Regards,
Kaz

mutley
22-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi Kaz,

If you are willing to do this work ( and I'm sure we'd see you all right for it) than I wouldn't post as I am not too far away in Bedfordshire, I'd just drop it off.

Jim

22-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi Kaz,

If you are thinking of this service I would be very interested....I would analyse the board first and maybe send some photos when I can get the board out. Buckinghamshire is not too far about an hour and a half away from birmingham.

Please keep me informed if you have the time :)

Cheers,

Andy

Kaz-kzukNA1
24-01-2009, 04:12 PM
PM sent to Jim and Andy.

Detail proposal to follow later.

Regards,
Kaz

Lankstarr
24-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi Kaz,

My heater only works on full blow, as I understand it I only haff one duff capacitor that causes this fault. I would definitely be interested in this service and would eithr send special delivery or drop it off (in-laws live near Thame).

Are there capacitors that commonly fail? If so it may be worth replacing all of the dodgy ones in one go if you could do a "full service" on the board.

Thanks,

Luke

markc
24-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Are there capacitors that commonly fail? If so it may be worth replacing all of the dodgy ones in one go if you could do a "full service" on the board.

Thanks,

Luke

It would be false economy to just replace the obviously faulty capacitor/s. They are primarily failing due to age, and they're all the same age, so anyone of the others could fail just after you've re-installed the "repaired" unit.

All the electrolytic capacitors should be replaced while you've got the circuit board out. There's a full list of what you need in one other the threads linked to from this one.

Cheers

Mark

Brendan Larkin
25-01-2009, 05:33 AM
Jim, Kaz and all,

Kaz seems very capable and I'm happy for Kaz to do my boards. If you want to work out costs we can proceed.

Alternatively I travel to US every couple of weeks and I'm happy to take all our faulty units to the company you mentioned (someone did) and pick them up.

Let me know.

Brendan

nigel
25-01-2009, 03:41 PM
If your traveling to the states that often, when you get there at your base get hold of "BrianK" from "Prime'
He's where 99.9% of the lads send their CCU's and speakers.
He has been doing it the longest, charges the least and gurantees his work for life.
CCU's and speakers have the same diode that fails so on the "older" NSXs if the speakers haven't gone off yet they will.
Kaz could probably let you know when they changed the diodes or rather what year/s/n.

Cheers
nigel

Brendan Larkin
25-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Hello Kaz, many thanks for your comments.

I would like you to go ahead and I will bring (and collect) my board. I would not trust any mailing system.

If I understand correctly you are asking £100 for this service. If this is so, that is very reasonable. I will pay cash in advance. I am happy that you define the tasks and include an element of testing.

When can we start?

my mobile is 07770364156.

My email is blarkin@ohs-group.com

Brendan

mutley
25-01-2009, 09:06 PM
I'll second that!
Just let me know when is good for you.

Cheers

Jim

Kaz-kzukNA1
25-01-2009, 09:13 PM
PM sent to Jim, Andy, Luke and Brendan for some consideration.

Once I get some feedback and if there is a few interests, I'll post my service proposal to the members with some background about myself.

I think you will be worried to let me handle your NSX part that would cost more than GBP1,000 without knowing my background at all.

Thank you.

Regards,
Kaz

Kaz-kzukNA1
25-01-2009, 09:31 PM
PM sent to Jim, Andy, Luke and Brendan for some consideration.

Once I get some feedback and if there is a few interests, I'll post my service proposal to the members with some background about myself.

I think you will be worried to let me handle your NSX part that would cost more than GBP1,000 without knowing my background at all.

Thank you.

Regards,
Kaz
Ah... I just noticed that two of you have already replied while I was writing the above message.

I would like to be fair with all members, make it very clear on what I'll offer and what I took into consideration so I'll post my proposal as a new thread and start from there.

Brendan, if you are collecting the unit from me, then the cost would be GBP90 and not 100.

The difference of GBP10 is for the postage if you want me to return the unit through Royal mail Special delivery with upto GBP2,500 compensation.
As you said, it is very rare but even the special delivery item could get lost.....

Speak to you all very soon.

Regards,
Kaz

Brendan Larkin
26-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Hi Kaz, lets do it.

Tell me your address (or place to meet up) and time.

Brendan

Brendan Larkin
27-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Kaz, when and where?

Brendan

Kaz-kzukNA1
27-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi, Brendan and all.

I'll contact all of you through email or PM in order to keep the thread/post tidy :).

Thank you for showing the interest for this service.
Looking forward to talking to you very soon.

Regards,
Kaz