PDA

View Full Version : New NSX-R GT any body?

NSX 2000
07-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Just found this article

http://jalopnik.com/5083478/spoon-honda-nsx+r-gt-first-drive

If only it was still £1 to $2

Paul.

NSXGB
07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
...I would not buy it, one of the exhausts has fallen off..:)

amo
07-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Mmmmmm says snorkle not functional wonder why not? But looks nice also for that price only 420bhp that's not much why didn't they go for 500 mmm
Thx amo

forumadmin
07-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Mmmmmm says snorkle not functional wonder why not?

As it says its only there for homologation purposes. Which in my opinion is all the NSX-R GT was for anyway. The car overall has been lengthened with the front 'splitter' and the extended rear bumper. The width increased with the side scoops, and height raised by the snorkel. This probably because the regulations say that modifications made to the real racing cars have to fit inside the outline of the road version. Those rules certainly apply to some forms of UK motorsport.

The fact that no information was provided by Honda as to what these cars were, only suggest that really these cars were nothing above the standard NSX-R with the tacked on bits. There is no reason to do anything what the rules require to homologate the cars.

AR
07-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Mmmmmm says snorkle not functional wonder why not? But looks nice also for that price only 420bhp that's not much why didn't they go for 500 mmm
Thx amo

Amo I reckon is for durability and driveability mate.

As for the snorkel, only good if it scoops. :)

Cheers,

AR

markc
07-01-2009, 09:08 PM
As it says its only there for homologation purposes. Which in my opinion is all the NSX-R GT was for anyway. The car overall has been lengthened with the front 'splitter' and the extended rear bumper. The width increased with the side scoops, and height raised by the snorkel. This probably because the regulations say that modifications made to the real racing cars have to fit inside the outline of the road version. Those rules certainly apply to some forms of UK motorsport.

The fact that no information was provided by Honda as to what these cars were, only suggest that really these cars were nothing above the standard NSX-R with the tacked on bits. There is no reason to do anything what the rules require to homologate the cars.

Homologation for motorsport does produce some odd looking versions of production cars and the NSX GT is IMHO one of them (sorry Ary).

The homologation of the Peugeot 206 for World Rally (WRC), the 206GT, was similar in that it was stretched using oversized front and rear bumpers to meet the minimum size regulations and produced an odd looking beast. The full WRC version was pretty cool tho :)

Mark

TheSebringOne
07-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Great read! Is that a geniune NSX R GT that spoon have modded? I thought those 5 very rare limited editions were stupidly priced at something like 250K each :eek:!! I wander who owns the 5 cars, must be really Honda nuts or money mad!

Interesting theres they stated theres no Drive by wire?

NSX 2000
08-01-2009, 05:11 PM

They may have taken this off when fitting the turbo or it was another homologation thing. i.e. if the production car had it then the race car could have it.

AR
08-01-2009, 05:36 PM
They may have taken this off when fitting the turbo or it was another homologation thing. i.e. if the production car had it then the race car could have it.

Might have started with an early car?

AR
08-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Homologation for motorsport does produce some odd looking versions of production cars and the NSX GT is IMHO one of them (sorry Ary).

Mark

Mark,

Today I was relocating some items from under the bonnet when my brother in law showed up. He has never really like the NSX, is not a car guy and we rarely see eye to eye on many subjects. He was shocked. He even said that it looks like a real super car now.:rolleyes:

Non car guy comments aside IMHO it brings the NSX into the present, and it must be seen "in the flesh" to be fully appreciated.

Cheers,

AR

forumadmin
08-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Great read! Is that a geniune NSX R GT that spoon have modded? I thought those 5 very rare limited editions were stupidly priced at something like 250K each :eek:!! I wander who owns the 5 cars, must be really Honda nuts or money mad!

I don't believe any technical information written in magazines anymore, or tv programs. The amount of mistakes, assumption and 'journalistic license' usually means facts are incorrect. Read for motoring entertainment purposes only.