PDA

View Full Version : ABS Sensor

markdas
21-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Guys,
Had my car into Carden Motors up here in Aberdeen for its 6 months service (done 38500 miles now), as always the guys there did an excellent job, great service and very knowledgeable about the NSX (unlike the Honda dealer).

It went in with the ABS/TCS lights on, they found the drivers side front ABS sensor failed, any ideas where the best place to try is or are we forced to go to Honda for them?

Going to need new front discs and pads soon too, however the dealer quote is £290 each disc......yeah right!

Cheers

Mark

simonprelude
21-01-2009, 09:15 AM
I think as far as ABS sensors go you are pretty much at Honda's mercy.

The part is about £150 but don't let them fit it, it's a very simple job but they will charge you around 2 hours labour to do it.

Discs at £290 each...........eek.

Use one of the other suppliers, personally if you have to change them then uprate them.
The racing brake option is very good and if you want to spend the extra then the 2 piece ones are excellent and also offer a substantial weight saving in the most important area, rotational / unsprung weight.

markdas
21-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks Simon,

Honda Aberdeen are quoting £190 for the sensor - Cardens say an hour but as you say I think its a DIY job as long as its not siezed etc like all my other cars seem to suffer from.

Have a few brake options in mind.....

Mark

CrazyMixedUpKid
21-01-2009, 05:10 PM
The exact same one failed for me last summer - drivers front.

Got mine from Dali :

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2353

Yes - it does fit despite the LHD / RHD thing.

Managed to do mine myself - although getting old one out was a nightmare as it had corroded in - ended up having to take the caliper, disk and hub off to get at it from the inside - even then it took some 'persuading'. If you haven't got the right service manual for your year (i.e. have the correct torque settings for all the nuts) I wouldn't go down this road! Luckily I have ;-)

If you can get Honda to quote and stick to the FRT charge then that might be a good idea! Took me about 2 hours (of which about 10 mins was putting the new one in!).

Good luck

AR
21-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Before you buy from Dali, check out how he has treated us during the last group buy.

Kaz-kzukNA1
21-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi, Mark.

As others mentioned, the same part no used for LH and RH drive cars for this specific sensor assy.
There were no majour modifications over the years for this sensor and just one update from original to the latest model.

57450-SL0-030 Sensor Assy., R. Front
GBP190.54+VAT from Honda UK as you mentioned. You can get it cheaper from US or Japan even after the duty tax, VAT and P&P but with the weak GBP, the saving is not as great as 6 months ago.

The standard labour charge is 0.8hr for replacing just the sensor. Addition to this, the lifting of the car and removing of the wheel would be applied but max 1.0hr is the reasonable charge.

There are lots of small bolts to be removed but not too bad even they were seized.
Just make sure to check that it is definitely a sensor failure. Sensor could be damaged by the excessive heat due to the removal/modification at the brake disk splash guard with track usage but quite often, I noticed lots of metal dust on the sensor head and trigger teeth on the hub/bearing assy causing abnormal pulse signal. Just give a good air blow and check the sensor again.

Regards,
Kaz

Sudesh
21-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Just curious, but I assume there is a sensor at each wheel?

Kaz-kzukNA1
21-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi, Sudesh.

Yes, there is a sensor for each corner.
Same sensor spec but different cable length and bracket used for each wheel.

Regards,
Kaz

Sudesh
21-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks Kaz!

Wow that would be alot of expense if for some reason all 4 had to be replaced. Is this a common problem of some kind that a sensor would go from time to time? and would I be correct in saying the TCS is disabled when one does go?

Kaz-kzukNA1
21-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi, Sudesh.

The TCS and ABS are using the same wheel speed sensor for their control. For the earlier models, the wheel speed sensor signal goes through ABS controller unit first and then the signals are conditioned and passed onto TCS controller. The later model uses DBW(ECU) for TCS control and ABS controller is combined inside the ABS unit but still they both rely on the same wheel speed sensors. Therefore, any failure on the wheel speed sensor will trigger both ABS and TCS error.

It's not common to have all 4 sensors to fail at the same time but from what I saw, the front ones seem to get more damage than the rear ones especially over the people tracking the car or driving hard with splash guard removed/modified.

Regards,
Kaz

TheSebringOne
21-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Yep, HUK prices for OEM front disc are about 550 to 580 squids for a pair! :angry: Strangely the rears which I got from HUK were a fifth of the price of the fronts! Got my fronts AP Dixcels here from VtecDirect, not sure if (Barry) post alot these days? SOS sell RB Racing Brakes, which alot of members seem happy with.

markdas
22-01-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks guys, some good information there. Maybe worth a quick check when Im home at the condition of the teeth and sensor and also the likelyhood of the sensor coming out easily!

Mark

simonprelude
22-01-2009, 11:48 AM
I'd have a go at taking the sensor out anyway.

If the fault is on that one you'll find that unplugging it will have no further effect.

amo
22-01-2009, 12:02 PM
hi mate id did have a go when i striped the other nsx i had and broke 2 lol cos well iv not that good and got no patentsssssss lol
thx amo